| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apple now owns the rounded rectangle on a display device
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 am 
Smuggling Raisins

We are going to have to change the shape of the "new topic" button I guess. (I'm not being serious but apple is somehow it seems)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ds-newsxml

Quote:
During the massive lawsuit battle between the two companies, Apple claimed that its rival had copied rounded corners on its own range of phones and tablets - as well as in the icons those devices displayed on screen.
Responding to the allegations, the South Korean firm noted that it was 'unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2CP5wdjVs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Well now, with the issue of patent no. D670,286, it appears Apple really has finally been granted intellectual ownership over the shape of objects as diverse tablet computers and slices of cheese.
The D'286 patent granted on Tuesday includes a number of drawings of the original iPad design, with most of the identifying features shown in dashed lines.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2CP5zFtdG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Also didn't they win against samsung in the corrupt-a-thon that is US but lose in civilized countries?

Post subject: Re: Apple now owns the rounded rectangle on a display device
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am 
A Bad Person

They lost in the UK and were forced to post an apology to Samsung for saying that they were infringing upon Apple's patents when they did not. That apology is here: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal-judgement/ That's an amended apology, because the original said something to the effect that Samsung's devices were not as popular or cool as Apple's, and the UK judge (rightfully) required they write a better one.

Apple did win their case against Samsung in the U.S. but the decision is very contested. There's ample evidence that the jury did not follow the instructions given to them at deliberation with regards to damages, and the foreman who kind of took over the whole thing is being investigated for possibly having a real conflict of interest against Samsung because Samsung owns Seagate, who had previously sued the foreman. I would not count this case as a victory for Apple.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:39 am 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
They lost in the UK and were forced to post an apology to Samsung for saying that they were infringing upon Apple's patents when they did not. That apology is here: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal-judgement/ That's an amended apology, because the original said something to the effect that Samsung's devices were not as popular or cool as Apple's, and the UK judge (rightfully) required they write a better one.

Apple did win their case against Samsung in the U.S. but the decision is very contested. There's ample evidence that the jury did not follow the instructions given to them at deliberation with regards to damages, and the foreman who kind of took over the whole thing is being investigated for possibly having a real conflict of interest against Samsung because Samsung owns Seagate, who had previously sued the foreman. I would not count this case as a victory for Apple.

well not apple legally does own rectangles so they can win in the future?

between republicans and companies like apple sometimes I think reality is trying to put the onion out of a job.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Does this mean that Photoshop is going to lose the rounded rectangle tool? How many versions did we have to wait for that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank tofu that the corners have to be rounded...we almost lost paper and books. Except for VCTOTW, because it's pretty damn square.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 pm 
A Bad Person

Our patent system is entirely forked up. There's basically no due diligence done for prior art. The PTO just seems to rubberstamp anything that manages to fill out the form correctly enough to make it to their desk. We've recently gone from first-to-invent, to first-to-file, meaning that inventors who can't afford to file a patent on their invention before someone steals it have to sell their inventions to someone who can, which puts them in a lot of risk of losing their invention to wealthier competitors and puts the inventor in a very poor position when trying to sell their invention to a bigger company that can produce it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Soon, they'll try to sue nature for the shape of apples, too.