| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

My son lived in TX while in college and developed a taste for grits. He ordered them at a family breakfast recently and that got me interested in them, so I bought some. Now I have no idea how to make them! Anyone have ideas ... ideas that are not loaded with fat, because I have to lose 20 pounds. Thx.

Post subject: Re: Grits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm lazy. I buy the Quaker grits and make them up in the microwave. When cooked I add a handful of Daiya (yellow) and sometimes salt and dig in. Delicious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Only had grits once while in Raleigh. Lots of people eat "cheesy grits" but then I've also heard that adding cheese isn't "true southern grits". I think you can eat it with gravy, too southerners seem to smother everything in gravy. Can't blame 'em tho, I love gravy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

CarrotTopsRGreen wrote:
My son lived in TX while in college and developed a taste for grits. He ordered them at a family breakfast recently and that got me interested in them, so I bought some. Now I have no idea how to make them! Anyone have ideas ... ideas that are not loaded with fat, because I have to lose 20 pounds. Thx.

Ooohwie, grits might not be the thing to eat if you have to lose 20 pounds. Carb City, man!

I make my grits (or cornmeal mush, polenta, etc. ) with milk, nut. yeast, and a lot of pepper. I do the double boiler method and don't use added fat unless I want it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I love grits more than I can describe, but none of my favorite ways to eat them are the least bit diet friendly. Just because they're really bland and kind of depend on other flavors to liven them up. My favorite is either daiya or earth balance with bac-o's or just plain old earth balance. I've never heard of anyone putting gravy on grits, but it doesn't sound too bad. Some people just like a little nutritional yeast on em, so that might be the healthiest route. When I was a kid I would eat toast and grits sandwiches with earth balance. And by a "kid" I mean like 22 years old.

and yeah, I'm a cheater and also use instant grits only. I pretty much can't stand home made grits, they never come out with the right consistency. But I'm born and raised grits-eater so my opinion has to count for something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

the jalapeno garlic grits in Vegan Brunch are really really good. I'm totally not a born and raised grits eater. My only other experience with them is watching My Cousin Vinny. But i swear, those jalapeno garlic grits are super flavorful and delicious and don't have a ton of fat or anything.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

nickvicious wrote:
Only had grits once while in Raleigh. Lots of people eat "cheesy grits" but then I've also heard that adding cheese isn't "true southern grits". I think you can eat it with gravy, too southerners seem to smother everything in gravy. Can't blame 'em tho, I love gravy.

Cheese Grits are huge in the south.

We just throw daiya or a tofutti slice in our grits with earth balance, salt and pepper. This is the vegan version of what the super southern restaurant I worked at did and people claimed they were the "best". Texture is key though!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Grits are amazing also with maple syrup, "butter," and cinnamon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:20 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Eat them with jam! Strawberry jam and grits together are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Grits + low fat = not very good, IMO. Im from the South, and we always eat them with plenty of butter/margarine, cheese and/or bacon. I make a vegan version w/ earth balance, nooch or homemade vegan cheeses and maybe a sprinkle or two of some sort of vegan bacon...but eating them without the fat makes them not good. Sorry, but its just my taste.

The Jalapeno garlic grits in Vegan Brunch are really good--I do add cheese though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 pm 
And you never will.

Kelly wrote:
Cheese Grits are huge in the south.

Yes. Anyone who says cheesy grits aren't eaten in the south probably hasn't ever been here. I've never heard of grits and gravy, but I wouldn't put it past anyone in these parts to do it.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]