| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dental health woes.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive read about oil pulling as well and wanted to try it but putting an entire tablespoon of oil into my mouth even if i dont plan on swallowing it will most likely make me barf.

maybe one day ill get there.

the only dietary thing i could think of that would contribute to dental bone loss would be if you are not getting enough calcium. that could be any diet though and not just a vegan diet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I've been doing oil pulling for general health unrelated to teeth/gum issues and recently started again. It's not bad, I use sesame oil and rinse with salt water after. I guess when ever I go back for a check up I'll know if it did anything to help with my gum problems/periodontitis.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, I finally got my butt into the dentist and I'm cavity-free which was my big concern. Woooo!

However, the dentist said within the next year I should have the fillings in my three molars replaced because there is some decay around the edges. He took pics and showed me that there is a little bit of black in some of the vertical fissures near the edge of the filling. The estimate is $750 for all three...yikes! Has anyone had this experience?? I'm 27, only had these fillings for about 12 years and it seems weird to me to have to replace the whole thing. Is this a scam or legit? He said fillings won't last as long depending on the skill of the dentist who did them and also if you grind your teeth (I do). I really have no idea here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

couroupita wrote:
However, the dentist said within the next year I should have the fillings in my three molars replaced because there is some decay around the edges. He took pics and showed me that there is a little bit of black in some of the vertical fissures near the edge of the filling. The estimate is $750 for all three...yikes! Has anyone had this experience?? I'm 27, only had these fillings for about 12 years and it seems weird to me to have to replace the whole thing. Is this a scam or legit? He said fillings won't last as long depending on the skill of the dentist who did them and also if you grind your teeth (I do). I really have no idea here!

Hey couropita, I have a long history of dental work (fillings, multiple root canals, several crowns, etc.) and what your dentist said is true -- not all fillings last. They shrink and crack, and you don't want bacteria to slip through those fissures.

$750 is a lot of dollars, but cheaper than root canals in the long run... those can cost twice as much. In the event that you want a second opinion, I wholeheartedly recommend my dentist, the first dentist I've ever had who I totally trust in regards to both treatment and fees. First dentist ever who blocked all the pain for a bottom molar cavity filling!! His office is at Mission & 20th.

ETA: For 3 fillings, $750 seems way on the high end. I'm under the impression that fillings cost ~$100. Ask your dentist for a better cost breakdown if you can. I hate how pricing for the dental industry is unregulated and scammy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, lizzielove! You eased my mind a million percent! I wish I could make it up to sf to see your dentist but I'm stuck in South Bay. I think I will seek out a more reasonably priced dentist though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

I would consider supplementing with A, D, and maybe calcium? If part of the problem is your gums, I would also think about trying omega 3 (they have a good one made from algae--Ovega--at the Vitamin Store) to help with inflammation. I have gum issues and am trying to remember to take Omega 3 every day to see what happens, and I've been doing oil pulling with coconut oil. (Coconut oil seems way less gross than any of the other options and it's really not bad at all to do.)