| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Virginia, USA
I thought it was hilarious. I have a raunchy sense of humor!

_________________
Geeks make the world go 'round

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
considering all the other stuff PETA does, this is pretty lightweight.

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 am
Posts: 65
Location: Germany
CoffeeCoffin wrote:
I'm not going to lie. This made me laugh in a "I don't think i'm really suppose to be laughing" sort of way... It was a laugh when something so awkward your only response is to laugh since you don't know what else to do.


That was exactly my reaction.
Well, thinking about it, PETA has done worse shiitake...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Posts: 718
Location: Boston area
I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Posts: 718
Location: Boston area
dp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: It's hot. All the time.
JonnyWoop wrote:
I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.

We actually talked about graphic depictions of animal abuse: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21164

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Posts: 718
Location: Boston area
Vantine wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.

We actually talked about graphic depictions of animal abuse: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21164


I read through the first page of that thread. It's a little discouraging. It seems like a lot of people on the PPK are opposed to a lot of different forms of activism. I don't mean that to sound like trolling. Personally I think non-vegans need to see the violence with which they are complicit. It's like during Vietnam. Anti-war activists spread the photo of the My Lai massacre or the photo of the young girl who was covered in napalm burns because Americans needed to see what their tax dollars were supporting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 am
Posts: 1539
JonnyWoop wrote:
Vantine wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.

We actually talked about graphic depictions of animal abuse: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21164


I read through the first page of that thread. It's a little discouraging. It seems like a lot of people on the PPK are opposed to a lot of different forms of activism. I don't mean that to sound like trolling. Personally I think non-vegans need to see the violence with which they are complicit. It's like during Vietnam. Anti-war activists spread the photo of the My Lai massacre or the photo of the young girl who was covered in napalm burns because Americans needed to see what their tax dollars were supporting.

I think you are missing the point. What I gathered from this thread is that PPKers don't want to see nasty pictures because they are already vegan. Graphic photos are convincing are useful, but people need to make the choice to see them if they are going to have any kind of impact. This creates "okay, I see what I am supporting now" rather than "wow, vegans are forking rude and gross."

_________________
"One time I meant to send a potential employer a resume, but I accidentally sent them a bucket of puke!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Posts: 718
Location: Boston area
Jigglypuff wrote:
I think you are missing the point. What I gathered from this thread is that PPKers don't want to see nasty pictures because they are already vegan. Graphic photos are convincing are useful, but people need to make the choice to see them if they are going to have any kind of impact. This creates "okay, I see what I am supporting now" rather than "wow, vegans are forking rude and gross."


Oh, well then I misinterpreted it. If people are already vegan, there's no reason I think they need to traumatize themselves by looking at graphic images of animal abuse. But I don't think there's anything wrong with confronting non-vegans with these images if they choose to avoid them. Personally, I don't think people should be able to get away with being blissfully ignorant. But I respect your opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 207
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Something about the "pubes" is bothering me, but overall, I'm okay with it.

Seriously though, bizarre shiitake like this prompts a specific segment of the population to check out the website. Sad and/or graphic ads prompt a different segment of the population to learn more. I suppose this ad objectifies men in a creepy way, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as that one that made light of domestic violence...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: It's hot. All the time.
JonnyWoop wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
I think you are missing the point. What I gathered from this thread is that PPKers don't want to see nasty pictures because they are already vegan. Graphic photos are convincing are useful, but people need to make the choice to see them if they are going to have any kind of impact. This creates "okay, I see what I am supporting now" rather than "wow, vegans are forking rude and gross."


Oh, well then I misinterpreted it. If people are already vegan, there's no reason I think they need to traumatize themselves by looking at graphic images of animal abuse. But I don't think there's anything wrong with confronting non-vegans with these images if they choose to avoid them. Personally, I don't think people should be able to get away with being blissfully ignorant. But I respect your opinion.

But does that work? Does it really get people to change their minds? We aren't talking about showing them pictures of starving children. You are trying to get them to fundamentally change how they think about animals as well as how they think about their food and how it got to their plate. I really question whether or not shoving peoples' noses in horrific pictures accomplishes anything.

When the best thing that comes to mind is "At least PETA isn't parading people dressed as the KKK" you know there's a problem with how they are delivering their message.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
oink wrote:
I suppose this ad objectifies men in a creepy way, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as that one that made light of domestic violence...

baby steps!

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm
Posts: 1126
Have y'all seen the pubic hair/fur one? Hilarious.

_________________
"I will rip out your IV and other roman numerals." - pandacookie
"The one thing I would not do for Aubrey Plaza is harm a baby, by the way." - strawberryrock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Glad to see I am not completely alone in this but I have to say... I thought this was way too funny. But I think they failed to use this as an opportunity for a " Veggies > Meat " comment.

And Drake.. no.. no I have not.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I have to admit... I've watched this 4 or 5 times and I can not stop laughing hysterically. I showed it to my husband who made the most hilarious face ever, I wish I had had a camera handy because it was so funny.

It also reminds me of this, which is Tungsten's (my dog) favourite song.


_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1961
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
i gotta admit, i love it. i think it's forking brilliant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:14 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2286
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
Yeah, it made me laugh.

It didn't exactly make me change my belief system, but it made me laugh. Then again, it's always nice to see PETA doing something that isn't vicious or violent.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:58 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:57 pm
Posts: 10
I saw an earlier poster said that people dont care about animal rights, so PETA resorts to shock and awe. What I think they are missing is the health benefits of the vegan lifestyle, and (some) people do care about health.

I think if they would target some of their focus on the health benefits, it very well may help more people to have an open mind to their real cause.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8651
Location: Maryland/DC area
Well a vegan lifestyle isn't necessarily healthy and I wouldn't trust PETA to do the potential health benefits correctly. Dr Neal Barnard can't even promote the health benefits in a good way and I can't imagine PETA doing a better job.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3815
My assumption was that they were trying to insinuate health benefits with this ad (i.e. being vegan will protect you from erectile dysfunction or something).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3136
Location: BKLN
yeah, this is how PETA does health benefits: you'll have mega-erections, you'll be effortlessly skinny . . . flashy campaigns that are not terribly informative and are sometimes offensive. i don't think they could (or would care to) address health issues with any effectiveness. and i agree that it's really easy to be a not-so-healthy vegan, as it probably is to eat a very healthy diet that includes animal products.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Posts: 383
Location: North Carolina
I know more people who find PETA's ads and actions offensive than people who've been persuaded by their ads and actions. I also get tired of people who know of PETA assuming that I agree with their ads/tactics just because I'm vegan for ethical reasons. I think there are much better animals rights advocates/groups personally.

_________________
A bunny's a delightful habit, no home's complete without a rabbit.--Clare Newberry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 722
Moon wrote:
It also reminds me of this, which is Tungsten's (my dog) favourite song.



I was reminded of that video too, and now I'm annoyed because, while the song is catchy, the video gives me the heebie jeebies.

_________________
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
"You know who doesn't care if you're a fat vegan? The animals." Isa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:30 am
Posts: 18
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK
So um... *cry*

_________________
solipsistnation wrote:
Civilization is a process, not an endpoint.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:27 pm 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 pm
Posts: 96
Location: N. Cackalacky
Gulliver wrote:
..it's always nice to see PETA doing something that isn't vicious or violent.



What acts of violence are you talking about?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer