| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Really PETA?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 am 
Inflexitarian

I thought it was hilarious. I have a raunchy sense of humor!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

considering all the other stuff PETA does, this is pretty lightweight.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

CoffeeCoffin wrote:
I'm not going to lie. This made me laugh in a "I don't think i'm really suppose to be laughing" sort of way... It was a laugh when something so awkward your only response is to laugh since you don't know what else to do.

That was exactly my reaction.
Well, thinking about it, PETA has done worse shiitake...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 pm 

dp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:
I'm not offended or anything by this. I just agree with the original poster in I'm not sure how this is going to convert anybody to veganism. My first reaction was, "Well, why don't they just show graphic video of animal abuse?" But then I realized that a lot of TV stations don't want to air that sort of stuff. So I'm not sure what kind of advertising is best. Probably not this though.

We actually talked about graphic depictions of animal abuse: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21164

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 pm 

Vantine wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

We actually talked about graphic depictions of animal abuse: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21164

I read through the first page of that thread. It's a little discouraging. It seems like a lot of people on the PPK are opposed to a lot of different forms of activism. I don't mean that to sound like trolling. Personally I think non-vegans need to see the violence with which they are complicit. It's like during Vietnam. Anti-war activists spread the photo of the My Lai massacre or the photo of the young girl who was covered in napalm burns because Americans needed to see what their tax dollars were supporting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

JonnyWoop wrote:
Vantine wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

I read through the first page of that thread. It's a little discouraging. It seems like a lot of people on the PPK are opposed to a lot of different forms of activism. I don't mean that to sound like trolling. Personally I think non-vegans need to see the violence with which they are complicit. It's like during Vietnam. Anti-war activists spread the photo of the My Lai massacre or the photo of the young girl who was covered in napalm burns because Americans needed to see what their tax dollars were supporting.

I think you are missing the point. What I gathered from this thread is that PPKers don't want to see nasty pictures because they are already vegan. Graphic photos are convincing are useful, but people need to make the choice to see them if they are going to have any kind of impact. This creates "okay, I see what I am supporting now" rather than "wow, vegans are forking rude and gross."

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 pm 

Jigglypuff wrote:
I think you are missing the point. What I gathered from this thread is that PPKers don't want to see nasty pictures because they are already vegan. Graphic photos are convincing are useful, but people need to make the choice to see them if they are going to have any kind of impact. This creates "okay, I see what I am supporting now" rather than "wow, vegans are forking rude and gross."

Oh, well then I misinterpreted it. If people are already vegan, there's no reason I think they need to traumatize themselves by looking at graphic images of animal abuse. But I don't think there's anything wrong with confronting non-vegans with these images if they choose to avoid them. Personally, I don't think people should be able to get away with being blissfully ignorant. But I respect your opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Something about the "pubes" is bothering me, but overall, I'm okay with it.

Seriously though, bizarre shiitake like this prompts a specific segment of the population to check out the website. Sad and/or graphic ads prompt a different segment of the population to learn more. I suppose this ad objectifies men in a creepy way, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as that one that made light of domestic violence...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:

Oh, well then I misinterpreted it. If people are already vegan, there's no reason I think they need to traumatize themselves by looking at graphic images of animal abuse. But I don't think there's anything wrong with confronting non-vegans with these images if they choose to avoid them. Personally, I don't think people should be able to get away with being blissfully ignorant. But I respect your opinion.

But does that work? Does it really get people to change their minds? We aren't talking about showing them pictures of starving children. You are trying to get them to fundamentally change how they think about animals as well as how they think about their food and how it got to their plate. I really question whether or not shoving peoples' noses in horrific pictures accomplishes anything.

When the best thing that comes to mind is "At least PETA isn't parading people dressed as the KKK" you know there's a problem with how they are delivering their message.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

oink wrote:
I suppose this ad objectifies men in a creepy way, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as that one that made light of domestic violence...

baby steps!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Have y'all seen the pubic hair/fur one? Hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Glad to see I am not completely alone in this but I have to say... I thought this was way too funny. But I think they failed to use this as an opportunity for a " Veggies > Meat " comment.

And Drake.. no.. no I have not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have to admit... I've watched this 4 or 5 times and I can not stop laughing hysterically. I showed it to my husband who made the most hilarious face ever, I wish I had had a camera handy because it was so funny.

It also reminds me of this, which is Tungsten's (my dog) favourite song.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i gotta admit, i love it. i think it's forking brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:14 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, it made me laugh.

It didn't exactly make me change my belief system, but it made me laugh. Then again, it's always nice to see PETA doing something that isn't vicious or violent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

I saw an earlier poster said that people dont care about animal rights, so PETA resorts to shock and awe. What I think they are missing is the health benefits of the vegan lifestyle, and (some) people do care about health.

I think if they would target some of their focus on the health benefits, it very well may help more people to have an open mind to their real cause.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Well a vegan lifestyle isn't necessarily healthy and I wouldn't trust PETA to do the potential health benefits correctly. Dr Neal Barnard can't even promote the health benefits in a good way and I can't imagine PETA doing a better job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My assumption was that they were trying to insinuate health benefits with this ad (i.e. being vegan will protect you from erectile dysfunction or something).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

yeah, this is how PETA does health benefits: you'll have mega-erections, you'll be effortlessly skinny . . . flashy campaigns that are not terribly informative and are sometimes offensive. i don't think they could (or would care to) address health issues with any effectiveness. and i agree that it's really easy to be a not-so-healthy vegan, as it probably is to eat a very healthy diet that includes animal products.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I know more people who find PETA's ads and actions offensive than people who've been persuaded by their ads and actions. I also get tired of people who know of PETA assuming that I agree with their ads/tactics just because I'm vegan for ethical reasons. I think there are much better animals rights advocates/groups personally.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 am 

Moon wrote:
It also reminds me of this, which is Tungsten's (my dog) favourite song.

I was reminded of that video too, and now I'm annoyed because, while the song is catchy, the video gives me the heebie jeebies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

So um... *cry*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:27 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Gulliver wrote:
..it's always nice to see PETA doing something that isn't vicious or violent.

What acts of violence are you talking about?