| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Efcliz wrote:
Anyone who thinks vegans don't drink should be pointed my way. I'll soon sort them out.

If you're not too pie-eyed to see straight...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!

I really don't believe that watching TV will ruin your brain. There is some beautiful and intellectual stuff on TV. And a bunch of crepe too, but it won't ruin your brain unless you make it your one and only reason for living. There are amazing artists, actors, and writers whose work translates best to the small screen. There are subtle but powerful political messages emerging all over the tube.

+1. I don't watch much TV because I can't be bothered to be in the living room at the same time every week, but it has nothing to do with brain-rotting.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:48 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

JimXVX wrote:
Amongst my entire social circle of family/relatives/colleagues/acquaintances I'm not only the sole vegan, but also generally the only vegan they've ever come across. Therefore most assume that vegan = no booze.

+1

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I believe that watching a lot of TV is not good for you, but I still watch a lot of TV. Sometimes I wish I watched less, but then Once Upon a Time is on... or Bones... or The Office... or Glee... or Grey's Anatomy... or 30 Rock... or Private Practice... Some of these shows I don't even like that much anymore, but I still watch them. It is certainly not my one and only reason for living, but I don't think it is that good for me either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Efcliz wrote:
The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

fork yes. Times a flobbity-jillion.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

People who hear the word "vegan" or words "vegan food" come up in a sentence- mind you, they're not even in the damn conversation- and go "Ew." You are so lucky I don't get up and whoop your asparagus into next month. I don't say "Ew" when you talk about your nasty asparagus wings you like so forking much.

This happens more than I'd like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My vegetarian mother telling me that she expects me to stop being a vegan for Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I wasn't judging anyone else who watches TV. I was specifically talking about my own experience of how TV makes my brain feel, as someone who did not grow up watching TV and doesn't enjoy sitting around watching it. I don't know what TV does to anyone's brain but mine. Everyone's brains are different! If you like watching TV, I totally support you watching it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 am 
Naked Under Apron

Gulliver wrote:
vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Pet peeve: the expression "failed vegan". Veganism isn't something you can pass or fail, it's something you do because you have a set of beliefs. People have different reasons to do things and different beliefs and you shouldn't go about thinking you're better than someone. (Though it's just an expression and I'm sure you don't think like that). It's like calling someone a failed Christian or a failed organic-food-buyer. Don't be mean.

I was just going with the flow of the conversation here. I would never call anyone that to their face. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone.
I know, I know, and I meant it in a light-hearted way. I find language really fascinating, so I got wound up thinking about the meaning of the term "failed vegan" and I think a spring sprung loose. It's like how I don't like that Gay Pride (and other Blah Prides) are called "pride" because pride comes from achievement and how can you be proud of something you had no choice in. I know that it has another meaning that's specific to this use, but it's not a word I like. It's also a name for one of the seven deadly sins, which are inherently associated with naughty behaviour. I admit that "Gay Showing Happiness With A Matter-of-Factness!" is less good a name.

But anyway, when vegetarian restaurants that mark what is and is not vegan have butter on the table and not olive oil or something to stop it being dry makes me grr.

Sorry for the derail but I have to answer this point about Gay Pride. It didn't just spring fully formed from someone's head, as in "Let's call it Pride". It was a reaction to the general consensus at the time that we should be ashamed of ourselves and was a way of answering that by saying "Actually, we are proud of who we are, what we have achieved, our relationships and our lives, we will not allow you to make us feel shame". It wasn't/isn't about solely being proud of your sexuality.

Mat.

P.S. You may now resume your normal programming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't watch TV, because it did bad things to me. I was a TV addict for decades. I am glad I cut it out of my life.

I don't drink, because... I don't?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Has anyone seen the 'piggy stardust' commercial on Cooking Channel? Ugh...I thought it was going to be a pro veg piece...of course not!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

matwinser wrote:
Sorry for the derail but I have to answer this point about Gay Pride. It didn't just spring fully formed from someone's head, as in "Let's call it Pride". It was a reaction to the general consensus at the time that we should be ashamed of ourselves and was a way of answering that by saying "Actually, we are proud of who we are, what we have achieved, our relationships and our lives, we will not allow you to make us feel shame". It wasn't/isn't about solely being proud of your sexuality.

Mat.

P.S. You may now resume your normal programming.
I know, and that was a very good thing, but that's a long way from the selling sparkly dildos in the park that happens nowadays. Alors...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

But then we are self-censoring, aren't we? Saying "You can celebrate this but not this"

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What's wrong with sparkly dildos?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

IsaChandra wrote:
What's wrong with sparkly dildos?

Your face is wrong with... sparkly... dildos?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I really think someone needs to write a song called Sparkly Dildos in the Park.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

As a music therapist, I play drums a lot. Specifically, hand drums called djembes that look likes this:

Most of them are made of animal skin. I've always known this. Recently, I found out exactly which animals the skins came from on the different drums, and now I can't play them without feeling gross.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:15 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Pyewacket wrote:
I really think someone needs to write a song called Sparkly Dildos in the Park.

I get up in the evening, and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the moring, I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired, man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help
You can't start a fire, you can't start a fire without a spark
...somethingsomethingsomething sparkly dildos in the park (sorry)

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Choirqueer, you have to post your song again! It looks like it fell victim to the spampocalypse!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064159-sprklydldoz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That. Is. Amazing. Love the unicorn line best!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:
That. Is. Amazing. Love the unicorn line best!

I feel compelled to do that every time I'm in an adult toy store.

Maybe this is why I never get laid?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:11 am 
Inflexitarian

Guacamole with bacon bits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.
Seriously. Why do people do these things?! I recently met a friend at a local Mexican place, and the waiter was all pumped to tell us about the "guac of the day" (which featured bacon and gorgonzola cheese) until he saw our horrified expressions. Even as an omnivore I would have found that disgusting; why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to ruin perfectly delicious guacamole that way? What did that guacamole ever do to them?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 521  Next