| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a good idea or not?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:41 am 
Tofu Pup

I have no idea if it's OK to post this, but here goes anyway... basically, I have had an idea for a vegan microbusiness, and I wondered if you good people would give me the benefit of your wisdom. Is this a good idea or should I stop wasting my time?

My idea is this. Whenever I go out to eat in a mainstream restaurant, I often bring little things along with me in case they can't cater for me - things like soy coffee creamer and little chocolate bars to have for dessert. I would love to be able to bring other stuff like vegan mayo, or vegan margarine, but I can never find them in individual packets.

So I thought about how nice it would be if there was an online company where you could just buy all these different food products in little packets, and also nice little containers so you could stash your own stuff easily too. I have also found that I might be able to buy some things e.g. little margarine packets from outside the UK and import them, because you can't get them in the UK at the moment.

So, what do you think? Good idea or terrible? I am not looking for it to make me a million pounds or anything ;) or even to be a full time job, just something on the side that's a bit of fun and might make me a quid or two. Do you think you could ever be persuaded to buy conveniently sized packets of vegan marg, sugar, coffee creamer, veggie soap etc? what are your coping strategies when eating out at mainstream places? any thoughts on all of this would be much appreciated - thank you....:)

Post subject: Re: Is this a good idea or not?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I would definitely buy little pots of soy milk as although most mainstream coffee places round here offer soy, most of the independent ones don't and I hate black tea and coffee. I've been saying for a while there should be somewhere you can get little soy creamers from :)

Margarine, mayo etc however, I can live without.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:19 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'd probably be interested in tiny mayo or margarine but not soya milk, sugar or soap. I imagine other people would be into the soya cream but I doubt that there'd be a big market for sugar or soap.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I can't speak for everyone, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get any of these. I don't really worry about what soap I use in public bathrooms, I'm pretty sure most UK sugar is vegan, and mostly places I've asked for soy milk have it, if not I'm cool with black coffee. As for mayo and marg, I'd probably use a vegan mayo if it was on offer, but I don't think I'd order it especially, and I can't recall a time when I've thought, "oh, I could really do with some marg right now".

That said, I'm pretty easy going, and if something's not available that I'd kind of like, I don't particularly think twice about it. So, there may be more of a market for these things than my opinions would suggest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'd probably be interested in soya milk, margarine and mayo. In fact, I know I would, because those are things I've decanted into small pots to take to places with me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am 
Ninja Master

Efcliz wrote:
I'd probably be interested in soya milk, margarine and mayo. In fact, I know I would, because those are things I've decanted into small pots to take to places with me.

Same here, I like the idea of mini soymilk as a lot of restaurants don't do it and I hate black tea and coffee. Although soymilk tends to curdle in coffee anyway unless it's a latte/heated type coffee so dunno if that makes much difference?

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am 
Chip Strong

Little containers of soya milk sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldn't use them much myself though, as I've got used to milkless tea. However, 250ml cartons of unflavoured, fortified soya milk would be useful for putting in cereal- I can only find unfortified rice milk (or flavoured soya milk). I wouldn't buy them unless they were a good price though, as the rice milk does a good job, just is a bit less filling without the protein of soya.
Mayo would be great too, particulary if they didn't need to be refridgerated- I have given up eating mayo because I never ate it often enough to get through a small-sized omni jar before it went bad, so I certainly wouldn't get through vegan mayo that is only sold in bigger jars.

Margerine I think there would be less call for. Depends on people's situations I suppose. I have got a tiny little jar (it was an individual serving of jam) that I've washed out and use to take marge to my boyfriend's house occasionally, or to other trips were you don't need much or want something that fits in a bag, but I don't use it much. Again, shelf-stable margerine would be useful. (and good for keeping in the cupboard in case of short-notice trips)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It makes me sad, everytime I walk past the mini Lacto-free pots, that they're not vegan! I was even talking about it last night to my husband, who would like to offer soy milk at his garage for the drinks, but it gets requested so rarely that it's not worth while him having huge great UHT cartons hanging around - it seems so wasteful. Not even he can drink a whole carton (less enough to make a milky tea!) in a day!
Service station sized pots of marg would also be awesome. I'd have some in all my bags.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:06 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'd be interested in soy milk & marg for carrying in my bag, I'd be interested in mayo sachets because I only eat it now and again and a pot goes off before I can eat it all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm 
Impressive boner

I'd be up for milk, marg and mayo. Also, if you'd consider it, peanut butter too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:15 am 
Tofu Pup

I think it's a great idea, particularly for soy milk (or rice milk, if that can be done). I sometimes bring a little tupperware container with rice milk with me but it's so impractical and just not a good look for business meetings and such. I'd think that restaurants should be pretty keen on this as well, this sounds more practical than keeping a whole liter carton of soy milk which presumably often goes to waste. Do keep us posted, I'd be placing an order straight away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:05 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The small pots of milk would be good (not for me but OH), other items I can live without. I carry around a green tea bag as I don't drink black tea or coffee, so I'm used to just asking for a cup of hot water at meetings when asked what I want to drink

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'd be interested in mini milk, marge (Sainsburys used to do 4 packs of those a few years back, very handy for jacket potatoes or a roll with dinner out), and maybe mayo.

However I recently saw this fundraising page - a business planning to sell single serve soya milk cartons like you get in hotel bedrooms - unless this is you?! http://www.sponsume.com/project/new-mil ... ve-product

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]