| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 425  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3560
Location: It's hot. All the time.
Desdemona wrote:
Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.
Seriously. Why do people do these things?! I recently met a friend at a local Mexican place, and the waiter was all pumped to tell us about the "guac of the day" (which featured bacon and gorgonzola cheese) until he saw our horrified expressions. Even as an omnivore I would have found that disgusting; why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to ruin perfectly delicious guacamole that way? What did that guacamole ever do to them?

I'm not certain but I heard that it involved sparkly dildos in the park.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Boston
choirqueer wrote:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064159-sprklydldoz


I think this is my new most favorite thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 am
Posts: 1038
choirqueer wrote:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064159-sprklydldoz


CQ, you just won the internet. Congratulations.

_________________
The night is dark and full of turnips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Barcelona/Dublin
slash wrote:
My vegetarian mother telling me that she expects me to stop being a vegan for Thanksgiving.


Wow! :o May I ask why?

_________________
Draíochta...

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2531
Location: SF Bay area
Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.


Ick! Even in my omni days I would have been grossed out by this. I'm a purist and it's taken me years to even let my partner add onion and tomato to guac. I've learned to always ask about the ingredients in restaurant guac because *so many* of them add sour cream or some other non-vegan filler!

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Barcelona/Dublin
missdelaney wrote:
starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.


Hi Missdelaney, you don't know anything about synthetic bodhrán (Irish drum) skins, do you? I really want to replace the animal (most likely goat) skin but I'm not sure what type of skins are available or suitable.

_________________
Draíochta...

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\
I recognize this is a dumb little thing to while about, it just bummed me out.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6147
Location: Boston, MA
I'd be pissed, Kilgore Trout! She owes you a cartoon of EB.

CQ, I think just so you don't wear it on your head in the bedroom? Although now I'm picturing a dildo on one of those miner flashlight helmet things, which would be hilarious.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4872
Location: A New England
Vantine wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.
Seriously. Why do people do these things?! I recently met a friend at a local Mexican place, and the waiter was all pumped to tell us about the "guac of the day" (which featured bacon and gorgonzola cheese) until he saw our horrified expressions. Even as an omnivore I would have found that disgusting; why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to ruin perfectly delicious guacamole that way? What did that guacamole ever do to them?
I'm not certain but I heard that it involved sparkly dildos in the park.
That's still no excuse!

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1084
Location: Western Mass
kilgore trout wrote:
My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\
I recognize this is a dumb little thing to while about, it just bummed me out.


My Mom still does this sometimes. I am slowly teaching her all the little substitutions she can make so that everyone can eat. (She loves to bake and is in love with the idea of a flax egg, so there's something!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2023
Location: Austin, TX
Efcliz wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!


The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

Ha! I love the ppk! I read " I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much" and was all ready to take shiitake and you guys are already on it.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Midlands, UK
kilgore trout wrote:
My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\
I recognize this is a dumb little thing to while about, it just bummed me out.


My mum went to so much effort to make me a soup I could eat, adapting a recipe and all...few hours after I got a horrendous stomach ache and it turned out her stock powder has lactose in it :( I spent the evening curled up in pain, fun! Just didn't think about stock since she's veggie so it wouldn't be chicken etc. On the plus side she now has vegan stock and wants to make me soup that won't make me sick :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6422
Location: Norristown, PA
LazySmurf wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!


The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

Ha! I love the ppk! I read " I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much" and was all ready to take shiitake and you guys are already on it.


I see that I worded that poorly! I really was not talking about anyone's brain but my own. I don't think TV makes you brainless. I just don't like the effect it has on my brain, which is really the only brain on whose behalf I can speak.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 513
Location: pdx
Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?

_________________
You know what would probably be a more effective ritual? Telling the person who you want to shut up, "You better not talk or we'll pound you." -Footface


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6147
Location: Boston, MA
UGH. I went to brunch and someone got an avocado and havarti melt, so I was making conversation and like, oh, there's actually this vegan harvarti that I really like, and the person, though a dear friend, was like OMGCHEESEREALCHEESEEWWHAT'SINTHATEW! I know not everyone likes the Daiya havarti, but I think it's totally decent, and I feel a bit huffy about the whole conversation.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4676
Location: United States of New England
julialegume wrote:
Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?



that's usually a good way to fail at being a vegan if you think it's a "diet" rather than a way of living.

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3024
Location: BKLN
ndpittman wrote:
UGH. I went to brunch and someone got an avocado and havarti melt, so I was making conversation and like, oh, there's actually this vegan harvarti that I really like, and the person, though a dear friend, was like OMGCHEESEREALCHEESEEWWHAT'SINTHATEW! I know not everyone likes the Daiya havarti, but I think it's totally decent, and I feel a bit huffy about the whole conversation.

to be fair, the daiya havarti tastes nothing like dairy havarti. i gave up trying to defend vegan cheese a long time ago; even now, i tend to think of it as a condiment rather than a true cheese substitute. but i share your offense at the personal attack.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6147
Location: Boston, MA
LisaPunk wrote:
julialegume wrote:
Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?



that's usually a good way to fail at being a vegan if you think it's a "diet" rather than a way of living.


It's actually a pretty good way to fail at a diet, too.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4676
Location: United States of New England
ndpittman wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
julialegume wrote:
Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?



that's usually a good way to fail at being a vegan if you think it's a "diet" rather than a way of living.


It's actually a pretty good way to fail at a diet, too.



hahahaha! good point!

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9579
Location: Illinoize
kilgore trout wrote:
My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\
I recognize this is a dumb little thing to while about, it just bummed me out.


Along these lines, my father-in-law uses my EB and unsweetened almond milk if he's out of his own butter or soy milk, which is totally fine, but then if he uses it all he goes and buys not-the-same-thing to replace it. Like country crock for the EB (and I am on a big toast kick so that really chapped my asparagus when I went to get it), and he got vanilla Silk almond which is super sweet AND obviously I can't make gravies with vanilla.

Today I had to play my dairy allergy card at work because my co-worker keeps offering me his Dove chocolate. I had almost gotten to three years without having to say a word about my diet! Dammit.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 1364
Location: Seattle!
Blueberries wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.


Hi Missdelaney, you don't know anything about synthetic bodhrán (Irish drum) skins, do you? I really want to replace the animal (most likely goat) skin but I'm not sure what type of skins are available or suitable.


I'll look into it! It's a folk store and we sell bodhrans, as well as have some teachers. They may know some resources if I can't find anything.

_________________
"Its really hard to keep in shape, my prison of principles only has so much pacing space." - Shy Mox

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 5874
Location: Modesto, CA
Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.



Or sour cream to stretch it and make it more cost effective for places...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9385
Location: Vancouver Island
julialegume wrote:
Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?

I get that all the time! Ugh. Even when I'm visibly gorging myself on potato chips.

I'm going to start calling my veganism the Potato Chip Diet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 pm
Posts: 257
vijita wrote:
I'm going to start calling my veganism the Potato Chip Diet.

Is that anything like the Candy Diet?

_________________
She eats a paleo diet, just like the whiskey-and-bacon-eating australopithecans before her. - annak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8475
choirqueer wrote:

I see that I worded that poorly! I really was not talking about anyone's brain but my own. I don't think TV makes you brainless. I just don't like the effect it has on my brain, which is really the only brain on whose behalf I can speak.

I've seen you in TV threads. Do you mean you just don't watch TV on a TV but you watch TV on your computer?

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 425  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bsd, lepelaar and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer