| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Made my first recipe! The massaman curry because I had all the ingredients. Totally used storebought spice blends and i can't eat onions so i had to leave out the onions and the shallots. i left out the tomatoes too because I didn't have any. but despite all that it was great and super quick! yum!

Awesome! Massaman is my favorite Thai curry and it's next on my list. I'm going to make it with some cubed silken tofu since that's just how my place back home made it. I think the book mentions fried tofu as an option, but I can't imagine it any other way than with the creamy, melty silken tofu.

I'm sort of bummed that I have leftovers from the chana and pumpkin coconut curry because that means I have to wait to cook more from this book ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:02 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Curries freeze really well. Just throw them in the freezer for a day when you are too tired, busy, sick, or lazy to cook. You'll be so happy to have that instant meal later when you need it, and right now you can keep cooking away!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Curries freeze really well. Just throw them in the freezer for a day when you are too tired, busy, sick, or lazy to cook. You'll be so happy to have that instant meal later when you need it, and right now you can keep cooking away!

Good idea! I think the chana will freeze really well, but the butternut squash wouldn't hold up. I'll probably have a bit of leftovers and pop the rest of the chana in the freezer. Then onto more eating! I just want to eat the naan all day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 am 
Ninja Master

I made the eggplant pastichio on saturday for dinner, along with the greek style salad with cashew feta. I also made the sticky walnut cake. Everything was excellent!

My whole (omni) family raved about that cake!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

baps wrote:
I made the eggplant pastichio on saturday for dinner, along with the greek style salad with cashew feta. I also made the sticky walnut cake. Everything was excellent!

My whole (omni) family raved about that cake!

That was like my meal, but I did the greens instead of the salad. It made tonnes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah the salad would have been huge so I cut it back, as there were only 3 of us eating it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I finally got my book! it is so pretty.

I had some people over on Saturday, and I fed them rice, beans and tamales. So I grabbed the new book and decided to make the Mexican Chopped Salad to go with it

It was really good. Really unique. The dressing was amazing! I did add a lot more lime juice though. The roasted pepitas (then ground and added) really made the salad.

Unfortunatly my partner didn't like it. He liked the dressing, but he does not like Jicama (news to me) tomatoes, onions or cilantro, which was pretty much the whole salad. Oh well, more leftovers for me.

Making the Masala Potato Soup later this week too (needed a cheap and easy dinner for Wendsday night) Wish I could find fresh curry leaves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

noooo I do not want to buy another book and am now sulking because you all make it sound amazing and at the moment am loving VV and AFR and now I want to buy this :(

Serves me right for reading this thread. Amazon don't have it in stock til the 27th, thats after pay day...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Has anyone made the Moroccan vegetable FILO pie? I'm thinking of trying that for my vegan offering to a mostly omni thanksgiving feast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I loved the bisteeya and would totally serve it to omnis as a centrepiece kind of dish. But it took me a couple of attempts to make it, because my filo wasn't playing nice the first time and I had to start over with a new pack. So I would make sure to have lots on hand in case of emergency!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the masala potato soup last night. It came out strangely...bitter.

Not sure why. I did use yellow split peas (listed as one option). I have a love/hate relationship with those things. Half the time they don't cook all the way for me. When they do: love. When they dont: hate. The soup was not creamy enough because those damn things wouldnt mush up properly. Used an immersion blender though, that helped.

I did notice that the third step of cooking was weird, at least to me. So when I make a curry/dahl/pulse the steps usually go Heat oil, add seeds till they pop, then add onion/ginger/chillis etc, then add spices, then add water and protein (lentils, beans etc). For THIS recipe, the protein (yellow split peas) were added in with the onions/ginger/chillies to fry up. They stuck horribly to the bottom of the pan. I think this is what might have made the soup a bit bitter/burnt tasting.

Luckily, we added some sirracha to the soup, and the sweet/hot balanced out the bitter ok. But I was pretty dissapointed. The dish had the flavor profiles I love, nothing was new or strange to me. Maybe I will try next time to go with my cooking spidey-sense and add the lentils/peas when I add the water? I dunno. Meh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:

Not sure why. I did use yellow split peas (listed as one option). I have a love/hate relationship with those things. Half the time they don't cook all the way for me. When they do: love. When they dont: hate. The soup was not creamy enough because those damn things wouldnt mush up properly. Used an immersion blender though, that helped.

I did notice that the third step of cooking was weird, at least to me. So when I make a curry/dahl/pulse the steps usually go Heat oil, add seeds till they pop, then add onion/ginger/chillis etc, then add spices, then add water and protein (lentils, beans etc). For THIS recipe, the protein (yellow split peas) were added in with the onions/ginger/chillies to fry up. They stuck horribly to the bottom of the pan. I think this is what might have made the soup a bit bitter/burnt tasting.

Luckily, we added some sirracha to the soup, and the sweet/hot balanced out the bitter ok. But I was pretty dissapointed. The dish had the flavor profiles I love, nothing was new or strange to me. Maybe I will try next time to go with my cooking spidey-sense and add the lentils/peas when I add the water? I dunno. Meh.

Did you use a new curry powder or garam masala? Those can be bitter sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the chickpea parmesan white bean soup last night. I loved the farro. It should be in all soups. I thought it was very tasty. The chickpea parmesan didn't quite work out. It never was able to break up so we just added a dollop to the soup and stirred it in. So good!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

creep wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Did you use a new curry powder or garam masala? Those can be bitter sometimes.

Well the curry powder was new, but I smelled it and it seemed ok. Bought it from the same place I always do. Maybe that is it! I'll double check it when I get home

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't even necessarily mean it had gone bad. I've just bought some that were bitter-tasting in the past, usually the cheapies or generic store brands.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made a few recipes out of here tonight - the shakshouka with green tahini, the curried black eyed peas, the naan, and the sticky rice with coconut and mango. Everything was delicious - my family loved every dish, which rarely happens.

The shakshouka is gonna be even more amazing made this summer with CSA veggies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Made the banh mi sandwich with the 5-spice pickled daikon and carrots. R thought it was the best sandwich ever. I found the tofu a bit too spicy for me, so I'd decrease the pepper next time. I also couldn't completely cover the veggies with the vinegar solution so I added water... thus not as sour as I was hoping but when stuffed into a sandwich, it was great. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I always have those pickles in my fridge. I've just kept the vinegar solution in a jar and whenever I have a bit of daikon and carrot lying around I pop some in the same
vinegar. Is that gross? It tastes great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has made shakshouka from another recipe as well as this from this cookbook. I think of shakshouka as a type of scrambled eggs dish (at least, that's what my parents always called shakshouka) so I was taken aback that there was no tofu (to sub for eggs) in Terry's version. Now I'm wondering if the version I had at home is atypical, or if Terry's is?

It may seem like a silly question, but shakshouka was a childhood favorite of mine, and from glancing at Terry's recipe, it bears almost no resemblance to the comfort food I ate before becoming vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

My take on shashuska is the same as you - egg simmered in a tomato broth. In my pre-vegan days, I tried Smitten Kitchen's recipe but found a bit too spicy for me. I've made the recipe in VEW and did not find it at all the same.. I wondered whether the tahini was supposed to replace the egg??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I really want this book, but I live a fairly time- and money-limited lifestyle at the moment. Would there be enough recipes for me to make somewhat quickly in my tiny kitchen?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

almiratanner wrote:
I really want this book, but I live a fairly time- and money-limited lifestyle at the moment. Would there be enough recipes for me to make somewhat quickly in my tiny kitchen?

This is such a huge book, I have only started to look through it. But, there do seem to be a good number of recipes that are relatively quick, or could be made faster with shortcuts. For example, the eggplant parmigiana has a note that canned pasta sauce could be used, with additional spices mixed in. That would only leave roasting the eggplant, making the bechamel sauce in the food processor, and assembling and baking the dish. It still wouldn't be super fast, but it wouldn't require a ton of active work, and a full recipe would make lots of leftovers (I did freeze leftovers, but haven't tried reheating them yet). It would be a good choice for a Sunday dinner, with leftovers for lunches or dinners Monday and Tuesday.

There is a special icon to indicate recipes that are 45 minutes or less. The section of sandwiches and salads should be great for quick meals. I also have my eye on the many baked tofu variations - those should be great with a stir fry or steamed veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bechamel can be made in food processor? Is it some food processor that heats / cooks? It takes me so long to make it because I have to heat the soya milk first, then make roux, then add boiling soya milk slowly while whisking (and be careful not to scald my hands).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

rhelune wrote:
Bechamel can be made in food processor? Is it some food processor that heats / cooks? It takes me so long to make it because I have to heat the soya milk first, then make roux, then add boiling soya milk slowly while whisking (and be careful not to scald my hands).

The recipe in the book is a cashew and silken tofu sauce, no roux. I used it for the eggplant parm, where it is spread over the top of the casserole befor baking. It was very good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks! I might try cashew cream in lasagne.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next