| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
Tea wrote:
Guacamole with bacon bits.
Seriously. Why do people do these things?! I recently met a friend at a local Mexican place, and the waiter was all pumped to tell us about the "guac of the day" (which featured bacon and gorgonzola cheese) until he saw our horrified expressions. Even as an omnivore I would have found that disgusting; why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to ruin perfectly delicious guacamole that way? What did that guacamole ever do to them?

I'm not certain but I heard that it involved sparkly dildos in the park.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup

choirqueer wrote:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064159-sprklydldoz

I think this is my new most favorite thing ever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

choirqueer wrote:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1064159-sprklydldoz

CQ, you just won the internet. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

slash wrote:
My vegetarian mother telling me that she expects me to stop being a vegan for Thanksgiving.

Wow! :o May I ask why?

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tea wrote:

Ick! Even in my omni days I would have been grossed out by this. I'm a purist and it's taken me years to even let my partner add onion and tomato to guac. I've learned to always ask about the ingredients in restaurant guac because *so many* of them add sour cream or some other non-vegan filler!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

missdelaney wrote:
starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.

Hi Missdelaney, you don't know anything about synthetic bodhrán (Irish drum) skins, do you? I really want to replace the animal (most likely goat) skin but I'm not sure what type of skins are available or suitable.

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\
I recognize this is a dumb little thing to while about, it just bummed me out.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'd be pissed, Kilgore Trout! She owes you a cartoon of EB.

CQ, I think just so you don't wear it on your head in the bedroom? Although now I'm picturing a dildo on one of those miner flashlight helmet things, which would be hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Vantine wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Tea wrote:
Seriously. Why do people do these things?! I recently met a friend at a local Mexican place, and the waiter was all pumped to tell us about the "guac of the day" (which featured bacon and gorgonzola cheese) until he saw our horrified expressions. Even as an omnivore I would have found that disgusting; why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to ruin perfectly delicious guacamole that way? What did that guacamole ever do to them?
I'm not certain but I heard that it involved sparkly dildos in the park.
That's still no excuse!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kilgore trout wrote:
My mom used the rest of my earth balance to make soup that I can't eat. It would've been pretty easy to make vegan, too :\

My Mom still does this sometimes. I am slowly teaching her all the little substitutions she can make so that everyone can eat. (She loves to bake and is in love with the idea of a flax egg, so there's something!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Efcliz wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!

The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

Ha! I love the ppk! I read " I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much" and was all ready to take shiitake and you guys are already on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am 
Nailed to the V

kilgore trout wrote:

My mum went to so much effort to make me a soup I could eat, adapting a recipe and all...few hours after I got a horrendous stomach ache and it turned out her stock powder has lactose in it :( I spent the evening curled up in pain, fun! Just didn't think about stock since she's veggie so it wouldn't be chicken etc. On the plus side she now has vegan stock and wants to make me soup that won't make me sick :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

LazySmurf wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!

The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

Ha! I love the ppk! I read " I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much" and was all ready to take shiitake and you guys are already on it.

I see that I worded that poorly! I really was not talking about anyone's brain but my own. I don't think TV makes you brainless. I just don't like the effect it has on my brain, which is really the only brain on whose behalf I can speak.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Nailed to the V

Guy at Trader Joe's: Oh, are you guys vegetarians?
Jdfunks and I: Yeah, vegan.
Guy at Trader Joe's: I tried that diet. I've tried every diet.

A diet? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm 

UGH. I went to brunch and someone got an avocado and havarti melt, so I was making conversation and like, oh, there's actually this vegan harvarti that I really like, and the person, though a dear friend, was like OMGCHEESEREALCHEESEEWWHAT'SINTHATEW! I know not everyone likes the Daiya havarti, but I think it's totally decent, and I feel a bit huffy about the whole conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

julialegume wrote:

A diet? Really?

that's usually a good way to fail at being a vegan if you think it's a "diet" rather than a way of living.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ndpittman wrote:
UGH. I went to brunch and someone got an avocado and havarti melt, so I was making conversation and like, oh, there's actually this vegan harvarti that I really like, and the person, though a dear friend, was like OMGCHEESEREALCHEESEEWWHAT'SINTHATEW! I know not everyone likes the Daiya havarti, but I think it's totally decent, and I feel a bit huffy about the whole conversation.

to be fair, the daiya havarti tastes nothing like dairy havarti. i gave up trying to defend vegan cheese a long time ago; even now, i tend to think of it as a condiment rather than a true cheese substitute. but i share your offense at the personal attack.

LisaPunk wrote:
julialegume wrote:

A diet? Really?

that's usually a good way to fail at being a vegan if you think it's a "diet" rather than a way of living.

It's actually a pretty good way to fail at a diet, too.

Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
julialegume wrote:

A diet? Really?

It's actually a pretty good way to fail at a diet, too.

hahahaha! good point!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

kilgore trout wrote:

Along these lines, my father-in-law uses my EB and unsweetened almond milk if he's out of his own butter or soy milk, which is totally fine, but then if he uses it all he goes and buys not-the-same-thing to replace it. Like country crock for the EB (and I am on a big toast kick so that really chapped my asparagus when I went to get it), and he got vanilla Silk almond which is super sweet AND obviously I can't make gravies with vanilla.

Today I had to play my dairy allergy card at work because my co-worker keeps offering me his Dove chocolate. I had almost gotten to three years without having to say a word about my diet! Dammit.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Blueberries wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.

Hi Missdelaney, you don't know anything about synthetic bodhrán (Irish drum) skins, do you? I really want to replace the animal (most likely goat) skin but I'm not sure what type of skins are available or suitable.

I'll look into it! It's a folk store and we sell bodhrans, as well as have some teachers. They may know some resources if I can't find anything.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tea wrote:

Or sour cream to stretch it and make it more cost effective for places...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

julialegume wrote:

A diet? Really?

I get that all the time! Ugh. Even when I'm visibly gorging myself on potato chips.

I'm going to start calling my veganism the Potato Chip Diet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

vijita wrote:
I'm going to start calling my veganism the Potato Chip Diet.

Is that anything like the Candy Diet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

choirqueer wrote:

I see that I worded that poorly! I really was not talking about anyone's brain but my own. I don't think TV makes you brainless. I just don't like the effect it has on my brain, which is really the only brain on whose behalf I can speak.

I've seen you in TV threads. Do you mean you just don't watch TV on a TV but you watch TV on your computer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 519  Next