| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ndpittman wrote:
She owes you a cartoon of EB.

I demand to see this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

IsaChandra wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

I see that I worded that poorly! I really was not talking about anyone's brain but my own. I don't think TV makes you brainless. I just don't like the effect it has on my brain, which is really the only brain on whose behalf I can speak.

I've seen you in TV threads. Do you mean you just don't watch TV on a TV but you watch TV on your computer?

Yes, I watch some TV shows on my computer. To me that's more like watching a movie than watching TV, just in terms of how it affects me and how it fits into my life. I totally respect that other people have different relationships with TV than I do.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

missdelaney wrote:
Blueberries wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
starrynight- there are synthetic heads! (mylar and kevlar come to mind; kevlar doesn't sound super great, but mylar heads are pretty good)

The drums themselves (as I'm sure you know) can be made out of wood, plastic, synthetics, etc., and the ropes can be cotton, nylon etc. I know initially most nice djembes come with skin drumheads, but you can change them out and donate the old heads to someone who doesn't mind using them. If you want me to research further, I'm happy to- I work in a music shop that sells a myriad of percussion instruments, and I'm trying to create as much awareness as possible about how unfriendly lots of instruments are to animals, and support companies that are animal-friendly. Meinl makes good-sounding djembes that are vegan aside from the heads, but, again, Remo does make mylar.

Hi Missdelaney, you don't know anything about synthetic bodhrán (Irish drum) skins, do you? I really want to replace the animal (most likely goat) skin but I'm not sure what type of skins are available or suitable.

I'll look into it! It's a folk store and we sell bodhrans, as well as have some teachers. They may know some resources if I can't find anything.

Thank you! I contacted music shops and bodhrán makers at home in Ireland but they couldn't really give me much info. There is very much an attitude that animal skin is the 'real' thing and that why would you get synthetic when you can get animal skin *eye-roll*

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I know it has been said 39048309584085 times in this thread but why is it so freaking hard to find honey-free graham crackers? I have been to every supermarket nearby, plus TWO health food-ish stores AND whole foods. Like a total of about 8 stores. Even checked a couple of drugstores, just in case.

Nothing. Blah. Not making the pumpkin cheesecake for TG now, just plain pumpkin pie. I am tired of checking every market in the county for those things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm 
Chip Strong

Chicki wrote:
I know it has been said 39048309584085 times in this thread but why is it so freaking hard to find honey-free graham crackers? I have been to every supermarket nearby, plus TWO health food-ish stores AND whole foods. Like a total of about 8 stores. Even checked a couple of drugstores, just in case.

Nothing. Blah. Not making the pumpkin cheesecake for TG now, just plain pumpkin pie. I am tired of checking every market in the county for those things.

You could mash up some other sort of cookie for the crust? (assuming thats what the graham crackers are for)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Chicki wrote:

When I was dating a GFer I would use GF ginger cookies as a cookie crust for pumpkin pie. It's lovely. Perhaps you could sub ginger cookies for graham crackers.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

Some prepared graham cracker crusts are vegan, I think. I also use ginger cookies or animal crackers (Nativa Organics here in Canada) to make crumb crusts.

ETA: I also would like to be able to buy honey-free grahams to eat with peanut butter and to make my mom's graham chocolate squares.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Chicki wrote:

I've seen a pre-made vegan graham cracker crust at Whole Foods if you can't find vegan graham crackers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have had to resort to ordering Nabisco original grahams (the ones in the red box that are sweetened with molasses) online in the past. I don't recommend it. Crackers are damned expensive to order online! But NO grocery stores in Seattle stock them. Just Honey Maid. Grrr...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think the pumpkin cheesecake would be awesome with a Biscoff cookie crust. I was also going to recommend Nabisco original, but I haven't been able to find them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think teddy Grahams are vegan, I got those last time. They are kind of fun to crush in a mortar and pestle.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

that does sound fun! and evil!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The Keebler Original Grahams are vegan also. The Kroger brand graham cracker crust even says it's vegan on the package.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Damn lactic acid of questionable origin, get the fork out of my bread.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 am 

GymClassZero wrote:

Lactic acid has nothing to do with lactose or dairy. I'm not really aware of a non-vegan lactic acid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

karichelle wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:
Lactic acid has nothing to do with lactose or dairy. I'm not really aware of a non-vegan lactic acid.
That's not true, actually. Lactic acid occurs naturally in lots of cheeses and yoghurts, and our own bodies produce it. In fact, part of the soreness you get after strenuous exercise is thanks to lactic acid being released and not dealt with fast enough.

From the name it was probably first isolated in dairy products (according to Wikipedia, it was!). There are non-animal sources, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 am 
Inflexitarian

My facebook friend who just posted a picture of a bacon wrapped turkey. I love you, friend, but uuuuuuggggggh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

quark wrote:
My facebook friend who just posted a picture of a bacon wrapped turkey. I love you, friend, but uuuuuuggggggh.

one of my vegetarian friends posted that, too. she said while she doesn't eat bacon, she did admire the handiwork.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Probably been said before, but my pet peeve is the tiny type they use for ingredient list. I wear glasses anyways. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
karichelle wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:
That's not true, actually. Lactic acid occurs naturally in lots of cheeses and yoghurts, and our own bodies produce it. In fact, part of the soreness you get after strenuous exercise is thanks to lactic acid being released and not dealt with fast enough.

From the name it was probably first isolated in dairy products (according to Wikipedia, it was!). There are non-animal sources, though.

In an otherwise vegan product, though, it's unlikely to be dairy sourced. I understand it to be a product of fermentation, and it occurs naturally in the dairy products that contain it, but when it's being added to something, it's probably safe to assume it's vegan.

Quote:
Lactic Acid – Lactic acid is created via the fermentation of sugars, and can be found in many dairy-free and/or vegan foods. Most commercially used lactic acid is fermented from carbohydrates, such as cornstarch, potatoes or molasses, and thus dairy-free. Though lactic acid can be fermented from lactose, its use is generally (I said generally; where concerned, always check with the manufacturer) restricted to dairy products, such as ice cream and cream cheese.

http://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-free-g ... ent-list-2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Guys - Keebler Original Graham Crusts are vegan! Here is my easy pumpkin cheeze cake recipe from a few years back!
http://www.missmuffcake.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

Also I can find the honey-free red box of grahams down the street. If you get me as your holiday swap partner and want some let me know! I do not buy them often only when I need a comfort kick. Growing up my mom would crunch them up to big bits and we would pour milk over them like cereal!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I was half listening to a Thanksgiving discussion on NPR and someone emailed a question.They are a vegan and didn't know how to handle a Thanksgiving invitation by someone who doesn't make food for them and gives them a hard time about bringing their own food. One of the guests went on and on about how the holiday isn't about the food,it's about spending time with people. REALLY? Funny how the people who say events aren't about the food are the ones who always have plenty to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
I think the pumpkin cheesecake would be awesome with a Biscoff cookie crust. I was also going to recommend Nabisco original, but I haven't been able to find them.

Really? I keep seeing the original! Market Basket has them I think. But they are far away. Do you want me to grab you a box since I go there every week?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sweet, thanks for the lactic acid info!

My peeve right now is that I feel like anytime I bake or cook, it's under scrutiny from everyone who enters the house, and if it happens to not turn out great (which is RARE, I might add), then it's like "Oh, well, you know vegan food and how it's inferior to other food" all over again. People seem to think I represent all of veganism and I'm like, nah I'm just trying to eat here.

Like these damn cookies last night. I wrote a recipe out for my brother, who was itching to bake, and told him to follow it exactly. So naturally he skimps on the margarine, saying it seemed like a lot. And I don't know what else the fork he did but these cookies forking suck like whoa. First thing Mom says is something to the effect of the recipe being vegan, which pissed me off because we've enjoyed that very recipe two other times and it was the shiitake when I made it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:55 am 
Inflexitarian

This kills me. No one eats bad pancakes made with eggs and butter and goes "Man, omnivorous pancakes suck!" but people will happily eat bad pancakes that happen to be vegan say "vegan pancakes suck!" No, dude, THOSE pancakes suck. There are good vegan pancakes....

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 424  Next