| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sigh. I really wanted to see it, but now I feel so conflicted. This is just depressing.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57551648/hobbit-farm-had-animal-death-traps-that-killed-as-many-as-27-handlers/

That, with the fact that they've split this into THREE excruciatingly long films, makes me not want to see it at all. I'm sad!

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What kind of farm is this? Sounds like an unfortunate accident, but there's really not much we can do about it now. If I decided I wasn't going to see the films then it would be purely symbolic and would have no impact on it's success whatsoever. I'm still going to see 'em. Huge Tolkien fan and I loved the LOTR movies. I don't know how they managed to make it 3 movies long, but c'est la vie. I'm just glad Peter Jackson is on board and they got so much of the LOTR cast in the movie, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

My reaction was to be upset and then I thought about the fact that even more animals than that went to feed the cast and crew. That kind of tempered my outage somewhat.

I'm pretty excited about it and I'm happy it's three movies. Hopefully they didn't cut a bunch of stuff out this time around (*shakes fist at missing tom bombdil scenes*).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't see how they can cut anything out and manage to stretch this into three movies.

I loved reading LOTR over and over.

I love the LOTR movies.

I didn't miss Tom Bombadil one tiny bit. Good riddance, you big boot-wearing weirdo!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 pm 
A Bad Person

FootFace wrote:
I didn't miss Tom Bombadil one tiny bit. Good riddance, you big boot-wearing weirdo!

How dare you. Tom Bombadil is delightful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

brian wrote:
FootFace wrote:

How dare you. Tom Bombadil is delightful!

Yuck.

It takes forever to get going in Fellowship, and then, just when we think things are finally in motion, we put on the brakes for a pointless digression with this old hippie.

And what the book really needed was more delightful stuff like this:
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! My darling!
Light goes the weather-wind and the feathered starling.
Down along under Hill, shining in the sunlight,
Waiting on the doorstep for the cold starlight,
There my pretty lady is, River-woman's daughter,
Slender as the willow-wand, clearer than the water.
Old Tom Bombadil water-lilies bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o,
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?

Hop along, my little friends, up the Withywindle!
Tom's going on ahead candles for to kindle.
Down west sinks the Sun: soon you will be groping.
When the night-shadows fall, then the door will open,
Out of the window-panes light will twinkle yellow.
Fear no alder black! Heed no hoary willow!
Fear neither root nor bough! Tom goes on before you.
Hey now! merry dol! We'll be waiting for you!

Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties!
Hobbits! Ponies all! We are fond of parties.
Now let the fun begin! Let us sing together!

Goldberry wrote:
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,
Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather,
Reads by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter!

Tom Bombadil wrote:
O slender as a willow-wand! O clearer than clear water!
O reed by the living pool! Fair river-daughter!
O spring-time and summer-time, and spring again after!
O wind on the waterfall, and the leaves' laughter!

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

Any more whimsy and I'd go into a coma.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
A Bad Person

HIS SONGS ARE STRONGER SONGS AND HIS FEET ARE FASTER, YOU JOYLESS CLOD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I love Tolkien but his songs/poems in the Hobbit and LOtR make me want to stab my organs out.

(Definitely looking forward to the movie. Re: how it's becoming 3 films, they're rolling in stuff from the Silmarillon too.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

brian wrote:
HIS SONGS ARE STRONGER SONGS AND HIS FEET ARE FASTER, YOU JOYLESS CLOD

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. I almost had oat milk shoot from my nose, and I'm not even drinking any.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

They're stretching it out thanks to additional, unpublished material, not stuff from The Silmarillion.

And speaking of The Silmarillion, you have to really want to finish that book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Most of my excitement about the movie(s) stems from the fact that I adore Martin Freeman and cannot imagine a better casting choice for Bilbo. But I do think stretching it into three films is a bit ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Real talk: I was about halfway through the Two Towers and complaining to my dad about the songs and poems and he was pretty astonished: "You actually read those?" And ever after I skipped them.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

FootFace wrote:

It's so true. (I did not finish it, so when someone told me that's what being added to the Hobbit, I believed him!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe this can just be the general Hobbit thread since no one is really talking about the animals and we can use this thread to talk about the animals.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24134

I'm pretty upset about this as someone who was/is really looking forward to the movies. I don't feel like I need to dismiss my angry and sadness at the animal deaths to be able to still see the movies. That said, i have to decide if I still want to see the movies after this. I'm sure I will end up seeing them, but this is forked and I hope they can do something about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:21 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

FootFace wrote:
It takes forever to get going in Fellowship, and then, just when we think things are finally in motion, we put on the brakes for a pointless digression with this old hippie.

Totally. It took me three tries to get past the first hundred pages of Fellowship as a kid. Tolkein desperately needed an editor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just re-read The Hobbit for the first time in 5 years or so and I am flabbergasted that they're going to get 3 movies out of it. It's a children's book and they're making it look like some dark, grand adventure. I am a huge Tolkien fan but I have grave doubts about this whole thing. I guess I need to divorce the book from the movies in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 pm 

mumbles wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Totally. It took me three tries to get past the first hundred pages of Fellowship as a kid. Tolkein desperately needed an editor.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I never finished any of the books and didn't see the LOTR movies. My dad threatened to disown me. Luckily he was bluffing.

He read The Hobbit to me several times when I was a kid, but I never loved it. Am I broken?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm 

My dad read me The Hobbit and I loved it. It made me really frustrated when I had a hard time (at first) getting into Fellowship.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't have much interest in seeing this, but say the previews at Skyfall. I'm going to take my dad and find someplace we can both get lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 am 

vijita wrote:
mumbles wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Seriously.

I suppose the desperate need for an editor is an indication Tolkein and Jackson are kindred spirits. ohhhhh

I'll probably go see it (them?) regardless, but I'm not going to be happy about it. And can we talk about 48fps 3D? That just seems excessive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

coldandsleepy wrote:
FootFace wrote:

It's so true. (I did not finish it, so when someone told me that's what being added to the Hobbit, I believed him!)

I'm pretty sure that someone was me, since I know you really don't have a life outside of our conversations. (Me neither, so all's good.)

They're taking the stuff from the Hobbit, which is basically just Bilbo talking about the stuff he did, and mixing in things like What Gandalf Did When He Wasn't Hanging Out With The Dwarves, which is things that led up to the events in LOTR. He goes off and investigates the Necromancer (mentioned in passing, outlined on the map in The Hobbit, more important then he seems from that brief mention) and does a lot of messing-about trying to keep Thorin from going and doing something silly and convinces him that maybe he should go and get his old mountain palace back instead of attempting (and inevitably failing) to beat up this scary Necromancer who is getting all uppity to the north.

Reading The Hobbit, there are all these edges of what turn out to be massive world-shaking events in there, just hinted at or mentioned in passing. These are expanded and explained in the Silmarillion, and those expansions are rolled into the narrative of the movie.

And for the record, Tom Bombadil is kind of a weird and pointless interlude-- Gandalf is already a godlike being, and dropping ANOTHER, EVEN OLDER godlike being (or actual deity) into the story, who also is just kinda hanging out doing not much in the world of men? Yeah, I dunno. I realize that this is the kind of thing that spawns decade-long flamewars, and has since before anyone knew to call them flamewars and just called them "very heated correspondence," but I fall on the side of "not very pointful."

Here's a bit of a ridiculous parody from the 60's.

Quote:
Suddenly, a brightly colored figure burst through the foliage, swathed in a long mantle of hair the consistency of much-chewed Turkish taffy. It was something like a man, but not much; it stood six feet tall, but could not have weighed more than thirty-five pounds, dirt included. Standing with his long arms dangling almost to the ground, the singer's body was covered with a pattern of startling hues, ranging from schizoid red to psychopathique azure. Around his pipestem neck hung a dozen strands of beaded charms and from the center, an amulet imprinted with the elf-rune Kelvinator. Through the oily snaggles of hair stared two huge eyeballs that bulged from their sockets, so bloodshot that they appeared more like two baseballs of very lean bacon.

"Ooooooooooh, wow!" said the creature, assaying the situation quickly. Then half loping, half rolling to the foot of the murderous tree, he sat on his meatless haunches and peered at it with his colorless, saucerlike irises; he chanted an incantation that sounded to Frito like a hacking cough:

"Oh uncool bush! Unloose this passel
Of furry cats that you hassle!
Tho' by speed my brain's destroyed,
I'm not half this paranoid!
So cease this bummer, down the freak-out,
Let caps and joints cause brains to leak out!
These cats are groovy here among us,
So leave 'em be, you up-tight fungus!"

Thus speaking, the withered apparition raised his spidery hand in a two-fingered "V" sign and uttered an eldritch spell:

"Tim, Tim Benzedrine!
Hash! Boo! Valvoline!
Clean! Clean! Clean for Gene!
First, second, neutral, park,
Hie thee hence, you leafy narc!

The towering plant shivered and the coils fell from its victims like yesterday's macaroni, and they sprang free with joyful yelps. As they watched with fascination, the great green menace whimpered like a nursling and sucked its own pistils with ill temper. The boggies retrieved their garments, and Frito sighed with relief to find the Ring still firmly Bostiched to his pocket.

(Bored of the Rings, 1969 or so.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The beginning of Fellowship is some of the best in the whole series! Tom, the Old Forest, the Barrow Wights...all left out of the film but all I love. And I read the songs. #dealwithit. I've never read the Silmarillion because I heard it's not at all entertaining. I did read Children of Hurin, though and that one I liked. It's a tragedy and it takes place long before LotR/Hobbit but it's still enjoyable.

And while we're at it, the 3 things I look forward to in the hobbit movie:
-Goblins of stone!
-Andy Serkis as Gollum!
-Beorn!

I think we'll probably only see the goblins in the first film.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 pm 
A Bad Person

I saw this yesterday! I wasn't intending on seeing it in theaters, for some reason, but I did because my dad wanted to see it, and now I've mentally committed to seeing the rest. I saw it in 2D, so I can't speak on 48FPS or 3D.

It was pretty good. My dad said he felt like he'd already seen it after we were done because there was so much consistency in casting, and he vaguely remembers the plot enough. I haven't read the Silmarillion, and it's been a while since I read The Hobbit. There are more than a couple scenes that seem to exist just to make the connection between The Hobbit and LOTR stronger, like the scene where Gandalf meets with Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman. I don't recall that happening in the novel. And the necromancer will certainly be addressed, they gave too much information about him to discard it. Also, Radagast! He's in this.

I guess my biggest complaint is that I recall The Hobbit being a rather lighthearted story, and it feels like a lot of the additions were done to cast a real shadow over it. But I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. Next year. And a year and a half from now.

No signs of Tom Bombadil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 am 

brian wrote:
I guess my biggest complaint is that I recall The Hobbit being a rather lighthearted story, and it feels like a lot of the additions were done to cast a real shadow over it. But I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. Next year. And a year and a half from now.

Yep, this. I watched it this week. Too many battle flashbacks and too much 'epicness' attached to it. I will forever love Smeagol, though.