| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: annoyed with nasoya - anyone else get rotten tofu lately?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nasoya organic, extra firm, non GMO, made in USA, packed in water, is my preferred brand of tofu. I've almost been exclusively buying it since I went vegan over the summer. (Occassionally I buy the Twin Oaks brand) That being said, I bought a package of Nasoya recently, opened it up, and the tofu and water looked fine, but both smelled nasty. Everything got thrown out. Ironically, the other package I bought at the exact same time (same date code, lot number, etc.....) was just fine when I opened it up.

the stamp on both pacakges of tofu is:
use by dec 06 2012 n3/4 1929

I have bought 2 more Nasoya packs since then, different date code stamps, opened them up, and they've been fine. Still I'm uber irked I have not received any reply from them. It's been nearly 2 weeks, I contacted them once via their online form, and twice via e-mail. And yes of course I could call them, but what is the point of that if they have online contact info? I wish I could just not buy their product anymore since I'm so annoyed with their poor customer service, but sadly I'll still be buying their tofu.

Has anyone else had this experience before?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: annoyed with nasoya - anyone else get rotten tofu lately
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

you should return them to the store, or at least call the store and also call the company. i haven't experienced it, but definitely let the company and the store know so you can get your money back!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

weird, now that you mention it I used half a block of Nasoya lite firm in a scramble yesterday and thought it smelled nasty after i cooked it. i still ate it and I'm fine though, I forgot about it till I read your post. I'll check the other half that I put away in the fridge later though.

That's annoying that they haven't responded to you though. I would check my package but i already threw it out.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Holy hell! This happened to me tonight. I am totally scarred.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 am 

And ps it had never happened before. I saved the package and I will confirm tomorrow, but I think mine was dec 6th too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I also exclusively use Nasoya extra firm organic and have had more than a few bad ones over the last few months. It's definitely scarring! Now I ALWAYS smell the tofu as soon as I open the package...won't make the mistake of putting the nasty tofu in the oven ever again. Took days to get that smell out of my nose!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed, this has never ever happened to me before.

the last 2 packages i bought had totally different expiration/code stamps and they were both smelled fine after i opened them up. still, as y'all know, i am super duper irritated that nasoya has not contacted me back.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who experienced this, i thought i was being overly neurotic/worrisome about food safety issues. but still, such a bummer. some people have been experiencing rancid earth balance sticks, and now this with the tofu. what is a vegan to do?!?!!?

my local earthfare sells a small amount of twin oaks extra firm tofu, it's vacuum sealed which is nice cuz you do not have to press it at all, but they don't get tons in and it sells out pretty quick. i might try switching brands, (not that nasoya will notice if they loose me as a customer) as they are nearly identical in price....

bummmer.... and i do ♥ my nasoya t-shirt plus shorts that i saved up for with those UPC codes ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:

bummmer.... and i do ♥ my nasoya t-shirt plus shorts that i saved up for with those UPC codes ;)

I have those too...love em. because of that they have bought my patience, for now....

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This has happened to me many times but not with Nasoya. I'm in Canada, I don't think that brand is available here. It happened with different brands too. I think it could also be a handling issue. Maybe it was left out of the fridge too long, during shipping or at the store, or the packaging got pricked a little bit and air got in, or liquid came out. It is annoying to be sure when it happens but sh't happens with processed and packaged foods. From the time it's made to end up at the store and then in your house a lot can happen.
What annoys me more is when I buy mangoes, ripen them at home and then it's all black inside and inedible. Same with avocado. Can't do anything about that, and it's more than a block of tofu.
Last Saturday I opened a pack of tofu to make my customary scramble and quite a bit of the block was missing. It probably broke off when the block was cut. I imagine everything's done automatically and no human eyes were laid on it, hence it wasn't caught. Oh well, I just had less for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't had that happen exactly but I recently got a package of Nasoya that didn't have water in it at all.

I don't understand how Nasoya has gotten themselves into every major supermarket chain because their tofu is just not the best in general.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Uh oh. I just bought 2 blocks of nasoya. I guess I will proceed with caution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

molly wrote:
I haven't had that happen exactly but I recently got a package of Nasoya that didn't have water in it at all.

I don't understand how Nasoya has gotten themselves into every major supermarket chain because their tofu is just not the best in general.

well as i mentioned above, certain nasoya tofu's are organic, made in the usa, and use non-gmo soybeans.... all 3 big happy buzz words for food right now ;)

Quarantined wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I have those too...love em. because of that they have bought my patience, for now....

well, my patience is wearing thin :( they really have no excuse for not contacting me. i doubt there is anything wrong with their online webform or e-mail addy

Beanitarian wrote:
Uh oh. I just bought 2 blocks of nasoya. I guess I will proceed with caution.

the last 2 i bought were just fine, i *think* the exp date was dec 20.... i have not eaten them yet, but hubby & I opened them up, gave them a good sniffy inspection and then cut each block in half and stuck them in the freezer. (hubby strongly prefers the texture of tofu after it's been frozen)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nasoya's customer service folks are super nice - talk to them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had this happen a few weeks back. It didn't even smell that bad out of the package, just extra tofu-y. What got me was one side was pink-ish and slimy though it was well before the expiration date. I figured it was just a fluke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

this happened to me a month or two ago and i meant to make a post about it. the smell was disgusting!! like rotten eggs mixed with poop! (tmi?) i live about 30mi from the grocery store i bought it from and it was too much trouble to hang onto that disgusting smell and drive 60mi for $2.50. but yeah, i still open those nasoya packages with some trepidation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 pm 

Wait. I didn't know that you can save UPS codes! The dates on my package were Dec 3rd. And like I said, in 25 years of using Nasoya this has never happened to me before. I'll continue buying it eventually, but for now I'm using a different brand just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jdfunks wrote:
Nasoya's customer service folks are super nice - talk to them!

well no offense, but nasoya's customer service is a joke, i just called and after listening to the recording and pressing the appropriate button to talk to someone i was asked to leave a message. i hung up. i am peeved at their crappy customer service --- 1 online submission, 2 e-mails, 1 phone call. i'm wasting my time. they do not care.

we will eat our nasoya tofu that we've already purchased but after that, i will do whatever i can not to buy their brand again.

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

IsaChandra wrote:
Wait. I didn't know that you can save UPS codes! The dates on my package were Dec 3rd. And like I said, in 25 years of using Nasoya this has never happened to me before. I'll continue buying it eventually, but for now I'm using a different brand just in case.

yeah you can mail in your UPC codes for nasoya swag. i have the tee and shorts.

http://www.nasoya.com/win/Nasoya_Tofu_U ... t_Form.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bekki wrote:
I had this happen a few weeks back. It didn't even smell that bad out of the package, just extra tofu-y. What got me was one side was pink-ish and slimy though it was well before the expiration date. I figured it was just a fluke.

ugh, that is yucky!! way worse than what we experienced. what is wrong with this company?! now i'm even nervous to eat what we've already bought, even though i already opened it up and it smelled and looked fine, so we stuck it in the freezer a handful of days ago and now it's defrosting for tonight's dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

: (

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

bookwormbethie wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

yeah you can mail in your UPC codes for nasoya swag. i have the tee and shorts.

http://www.nasoya.com/win/Nasoya_Tofu_U ... t_Form.pdf

Unfortunately by telling me this now I will have to buy more Nasoya, but still live in fear that I'm going to get one of the bad ones. But I can't just not have those shorts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

those shorts are the best. I don't usually get excited about stuff but when I received them in the mail I actually squealed out loud with glee.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I thought this was going to be about chou doufu -- stinky tofu.

Sounds like they've cut corners in the quality control department. Not a great idea if they want to stay in business.

Except ... yeah, gotta have those shorts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

someone *finally* wrote me back from nasoya. i'll keep you posted. i do not want their free coupons.

i bought twin oaks brand tofu, i've bought it before and we've liked it. it comes vacuum packed which is cool so you don't need to press it! my earth fare always sells out of it pretty quick cuz they get a smaller shipment of it in.

i also saw "soy boy" brand. anyone try that? i'm definitely for a new brand to continue buying to replace nasoya.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i haven't gotten a bad package, but i have seen my fair share of puffy packages in the refrigerator cases with fine expiration dates. (i tend to go for the generics, either wholefoods' or wegmans' at least i think it's wegmans.)

i wonder if it has anything to do with their new packaging method. (now you can easily peel the plastic off the tub. before it was cemented firmly, and needed a knife.)

also, it's possible they have a perfectly fine customer service team, but they're overloaded with all the people recently getting bad packages. (you know, on the same level as mall parking lots? usually they're fine, but when the holidays roll around, hold on to your hats!)