| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 pm 
Semen Strong

We got a play kitchen at the Salvation Army for $10. It doesn't have pots or pans but we got measuring cups at the dollar store. CL is a great place to find them too.

I love nnej's idea of each parent giving a gift they pick out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

E has the Ikea play kitchen and we've loved it... The Magician (10 months) actually prefers raiding its cabinets over the ones in my real kitchen, which is kinda nice. It's still in really good shape after a year and a half or so of heavy usage.

I honestly have no idea what I'll give E for Christmas this year. Probably bubble bath (it's kind of our thing) and maybe another group of small furnitures for his dollhouse. (Right now he only has bathroom furniture and playground furniture, because those were what he requested when people gave him gift certificates.)

Oh, he also really wants a doll version of the Doctor from Doctor Who and a dollhouse sized TARDIS. Not having luck finding one that seems right so far.

Might get the Magician something little but as he's a baby, it'll probably be something tiny.

Both of them will likely get an array of presents from grandparents.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Damn I thought I was all reasonable this year and this thread is reminding me nope, I'm soooo not haha!

I got him:

Image (at least this was used from the thrift store)

and 4 books (3 small boyton board books & a used transportation book with magnets). Oops I spoiled my 2 year old.

The only thing that sucks is we're going to be in Canada from the 21st through the 29th so I have no idea when to give him all this stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej wrote:
We're looking at puzzles w/knobs for Freya

Henry's a little younger, but he loves this puzzle - http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Jumb ... B000FS70QE. By loves, I mean he loves to to take out the pieces and put the knobs in his mouth like a pacifier and crawl around with it in his mouth like a mishapen mustache. I bought it at a thrift store a few years ago for my classroom of two-year-olds and it's held up really well.
We're looking into a truck, something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-551275 ... B001Q3KUA0. My mom showed me what she got for xmas/his birthday (in January) and it's totally a bunch of plastic crepe that we probably wouldn't get, but oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

We're in the market for a dollhouse but I am so flabbergasted by all the choices! Dahlia got the very small Calico Critters cottage last year and still plays with it all the time, so she and I have had a lot of talks about getting a bigger house she can keep in her room. I am very excited at the prospect of her playing in her room, because far too often our living room looks like Melissa & Doug exploded.

She's also told me that she'd prefer more "aminals" instead of people dolls, so I'm probably going to stick with the Calico Critters thing - the furniture etc is plastic but very, very wellmade and ridiculously detailed. But my dilemma is whether or not I buy one of that brand's big houses or possibly go with the very plain dollhouse bookcase like her cousins have, because then we can use any type of furniture set and eventually put books in there too. I've seen them at Target as well as more expensive children's shops like Land of Nod etc. We are at a premium on space, but I also feel like this is going to be a gift that Sierra will get a lot of use out of too as she gets older. My parents will probably be buying the house itself, and I think our gift to D will be some type of easel. I get so tempted by all sorts of things - for instance train sets, but although she often harasses us to help her set up the tracks etc she then barely plays with it, which is annoying.

I'm going to ask my brothers and sisters, etc to mainly buy books in hopes of avoiding more plastic, battery-operated crepe but we'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oh, he also really wants a doll version of the Doctor from Doctor Who and a dollhouse sized TARDIS. Not having luck finding one that seems right so far.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/106947559/t ... h_type=all

That won't set you back more than a few months' rent, will it? ;)

Quote:
We're in the market for a dollhouse but I am so flabbergasted by all the choices!

Trudat. For dollhouses, for the little ones I love this: http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Toys-Green-D ... B0026I2LV0

For an older kid dollhouse, I'm a classicist - love the Real Good Toys ones. For kids into Barbie, they make a few scaled for 12" dolls that I would have LOVED as a wee sprog. And those bookshelf ones all seem great to me because they're so versatile.

People keep telling me about the Brinca Dada one, and it's cool, but that 3/4" scale would drive me to insanity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The green dollhouse is amazing!

We're not getting Malka anything. Maybe socks, she always needs socks.

I'm sure my MIL will buy her a bunch of fun crepe, which will live at her house.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bap, thanks for that link to the puzzle. I'd seen some Melissa & Doug ones around here, but they were with small pegs, the kind that a 2/3 year old would use. I too, don't expect that they'll be used as puzzles perhaps right away. Freya is likely to take all of the pieces out and put them in the laundry basket/play purse/halloween bucket/shelf of the entertainment center. She's REALLY into that whole transporting "stuff" idea. :) I think my mom may buy a couple of the puzzles since the prices are insane here (the same price in pounds as they are in dollars in the US).

Aubade, what is that in the B box? (not the car, but the other one)

I wonder if you could make a TARDIS?

Ditto to the idea of looking for a kitchen second hand. You can often find old, sturdy ones on the cheap. We got some at a garage sale once that were good enough to use in our childcare center!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Re: dollhouses, the Emperor has the Plan Toys my first dollhouse. (That was what he got for his birthday this year, 'cuz it's what he asked for) and he loves it. Spendy, but seems durable and it's nicely designed for playing.

I am thinking about making the TARDIS! But I am stretched for time and also am concerned about making it durable enough that he can play with it a lot without destroying it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:22 pm 

Aw come on, stretched for time? Student mom of two...pah. :p This is really dorky, but I was thinking that if there was a dollhouse sized outhouse, that might serve as a sturdy base from which to build. Baby G is interested in Doctor Who as well, even though she's not allowed to watch it yet. A TARDIS would be a cool gift for her too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm 
Semen Strong

We're doing a recycling gift swap with lots of stuff going to charity. I don't know if anyone else is into that kind of thing, but its a great way to make space and do a good thing :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Refinnej the B thing is a drawing board. The "markers" that come with it are filled with water instead of ink. I really want Kai to draw moe but he tends to still put markers in his mouth/in the rug etc, and eats crayons (oy) so I figured this might work better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

Tofulish, how does the swap work?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I am really tempted to get this for Vi but she's still too young for it. Maybe next year! But she loves violin music. It's very affordable for the good reviews it gets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00907 ... nstruments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Btw for anyone considering getting duplos, I highly recommend the book sets. I got kai the catepillar set for his birthday and he looooves it. He can't quite build the bugs yet but he can pick out the right blocks by looking at the pics, then when I help him put it together he holds it up to the pic in the book and plays with them. It really gets a lot of use. There is also a car set and a farm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oops not sure how i posted that twice, or how to delete it. sorry!

I was just trying to add that I especially liked the duplo - book set because it teaches a lot of good skills. not just building, but also pattern matching and rotation, in order to understand how to make the shapes in the pictures, etc. Of course there's also the reading and language skills, since you're reading a book...it is just a great toy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For Iz this year, we're doing a dress-up box. We found a bunch of neat things for him to use as dress-up (pirate hat/eye patch, HP cape, funny mask, etc) and a nice little trunk to keep it all in. We're also giving him two board games for playing as a family, since he really loves playing the ones we've already got.

For Z, we're not really getting him anything. He'll be 5 months old, and he already has more than enough toys. I think we'll get him a little board book, and that's it, since his relatives will probably get him (and his big brother) too many gifts anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:04 am 
Semen Strong

refinnej wrote:
Tofulish, how does the swap work?

You take all your gently used toys to the host's home, the kids play with them and have a playdate and you take stuff you love home and someone takes the remainder (so many!) To the welfare office in Jersey City where people are really poor. They can take anything they want for free- and these are people who don't have even a few dollars for the Salvation Army etc and often lack transportation, so being able to get stuff at the welfare office is a huge time and money saver. Everything goes so fast- normally by the end of the day its all been rehomed.

We do it for clothes too. I have a giant basket of 6 to 9 month clothes that are going. I feel like we have been so lucky to get great stuff from people so its nice to pass it on. If we do end up with a second baby, I know we'll get stuff from others for him/her so there isn't much reason to hang on to her baby stuff, except for sentimental reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 am 

bap wrote:
refinnej wrote:
We're looking at puzzles w/knobs for Freya

Henry's a little younger, but he loves this puzzle - http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Jumb ... B000FS70QE. By loves, I mean he loves to to take out the pieces and put the knobs in his mouth like a pacifier and crawl around with it in his mouth like a mishapen mustache. I bought it at a thrift store a few years ago for my classroom of two-year-olds and it's held up really well.
We're looking into a truck, something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-551275 ... B001Q3KUA0. My mom showed me what she got for xmas/his birthday (in January) and it's totally a bunch of plastic crepe that we probably wouldn't get, but oh well.

Babynut got that puzzle as a gift from the grandparents yesterday. She really likes it! The knobs are huge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bap wrote:
We're looking into a truck, something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-551275 ... B001Q3KUA0.

Silas has this truck for 2-3 years and he loved that thing. You can open the back up and put toys inside, which he loves. Super sturdy, really wish that his other toys held up as well as this one has!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am 
Semen Strong

This is a pretty cool resource: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2012 ... lists.html

List made up by moms for different ages. I love some of the ideas and our moms group is going to be making DIY sensory tables.

Leela loves the ball pit at a friend's house. They are crazy expensive but oh man are they fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelly wrote:
bap wrote:
We're looking into a truck, something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-551275 ... B001Q3KUA0.

Silas has this truck for 2-3 years and he loved that thing. You can open the back up and put toys inside, which he loves. Super sturdy, really wish that his other toys held up as well as this one has!

Walter just got the green toys fire tuck this morning (for his birthday) and he looooooooves it. It does seem really sturdy, and unlike most other toddler fire trucks, it does not make noise.

For Christmas, I'm thinking about an easel and art supplies, a balance bike, or a kitchen as the big gift. For small things, stickers, letter magnets, animal figurines. I haven't bought anything; I'm going to wait and see what people give him for his birthday. (for his birthday, I've gotten him stickers, new crayons, and a couple of books.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I forgot! We bought some magnetic primer and chalkboard paint and are going to paint a little bit of our livingroom wall for magnet/chalk play. Not really a holiday gift, but an idea!

We've lived in this apartment for six and a half years and this is going to be our first painting project. I guess this means we're signing a new lease next month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Aubade, thanks for posting that - I've seen those LEGO books for older kids but didn't know they made em for little kids and since D already enjoys her duplos I bet she'd enjoy making a little project like that with a guide and everything. Cool!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Friends of ours got Strider Balance Bikes for their 2 year olds and I covet them so hard. They are cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next