| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

~Sz wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
A student I'm supposed to work with on Tuesday left his twenty-page senior thesis in my mailbox so I can read it before our appointment. I've started skimming it and it needs...an awful lot of work. Like, I don't even know where to start. I'm feeling really out of my depth and whine whine whine, etc.

One approach would be to focus on just one or two pages and point out what isn't working there and have the student extrapolate that to the rest of it.

This is a great suggestion. My senior thesis advisor had all of his advisees print off one page of thesis, then come in and go over it with him. Usually the same types of writing mistakes are being made throughout the paper.

As for my FWPs. . . I have to go to my [relatively pleasant, relatively easy, relatively well-paying] job later. I'm closing, which means that I have to be there until midnight, which means that I'll probably drink lots of coffee. Also, the coffee at work isn't that great, so I'll probably add lots of sugar to make it taste better (for the record, I love drinking overly-sugared coffee, and don't really mind having an excuse to drink lots of it).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My carbon monoxide alarm was running out of batteries, so to warn me of this impending apocalypse it let out a loud, high pitched squeal every five minutes after 1 a.m. I was just tired enough not to be able to figure out what was going on. Still, it kept on waking me up and now I feel like I was hit by a truck. I'm so exhausted. And have to go to work in forty five minutes.

Also, the internet I'm mooching from an unsuspecting neighbor hasn't been working for the last twenty four hours. So I've been having to go to the library to get my PPK fix.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

JonnyWoop wrote:
Also, the internet I'm mooching from an unsuspecting neighbor hasn't been working for the last twenty four hours. So I've been having to go to the library to get my PPK fix.

At first I read this as ". . . the internet I'm nooching. . . " That's how I know I've been spending too much time PPK-ing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

JonnyWoop wrote:
My carbon monoxide alarm was running out of batteries, so to warn me of this impending apocalypse it let out a loud, high pitched squeal every five minutes after 1 a.m. I was just tired enough not to be able to figure out what was going on. Still, it kept on waking me up and now I feel like I was hit by a truck. I'm so exhausted. And have to go to work in forty five minutes.

I'm pretty sure your neighbors hate you now. This happened to a neighbor's smoke alarm over a school break and our complex took a full day to send maintenance over. We had to leave or go insane.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lilyyw wrote:
~Sz wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
A student I'm supposed to work with on Tuesday left his twenty-page senior thesis in my mailbox so I can read it before our appointment. I've started skimming it and it needs...an awful lot of work. Like, I don't even know where to start. I'm feeling really out of my depth and whine whine whine, etc.

One approach would be to focus on just one or two pages and point out what isn't working there and have the student extrapolate that to the rest of it.

This is a great suggestion. My senior thesis advisor had all of his advisees print off one page of thesis, then come in and go over it with him. Usually the same types of writing mistakes are being made throughout the paper.

Yeah, this is what I ended up trying to do. Unfortunately some of the problems are so...well...his thesis isn't really strong enough for a paper this long and it doesn't match his argument. I told him so, but I don't think he's going to change either. Bah. (Note: I'm not an instructor or anything, I'm a peer tutor, so if a student doesn't want to follow my suggestions there's nothing I can do.)

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

kilgore trout wrote:
his thesis isn't really strong enough for a paper this long and it doesn't match his argument.

This is vital advice. You planted a seed! So, either the fellow student can heed and succeed or learn from his mistake. Your work is done there!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

My supervisor is going to buy me a desktop capable of doing my thesis work. He told me to look at desktops online and decide what to get and then gave me a budget so big that I don't know what to do with it :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tea wrote:
My supervisor is going to buy me a desktop capable of doing my thesis work. He told me to look at desktops online and decide what to get and then gave me a budget so big that I don't know what to do with it :(

Haha. In my department this meant the biggest Cinema screen array that the Apple store had to offer.

You could a make a thread listing what you need to do, what software to run, and your budget. And get a really nice monitor or two. A second monitor can be really useful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

I'm pretty sure your neighbors hate you now.

Yeah, I feel bad about it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went to three stores tonight and not one had cacao powder. I want to make the Lower Fat Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake from V'Con for work on Friday and I wasn't planning on leaving the house tomorrow so I wanted to get all the ingredients tonight. Each store had hot chocolate mix but no plain unsweetened cacao. I'll have to see if I feel like putting on actual clothes and leaving the house tomorrow in search of it, or if I'll just blow off making the cake. (No one's expecting cake. It's standard practice here to bring cake or other treats to work on your birthday and since I had the day off on my actual birthday, I thought it would be nice to bring cake when I go back to work.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I've never made a bundt cake, I found a decent sale online, should I buy a bundt pan?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
I've never made a bundt cake, I found a decent sale online, should I buy a bundt pan?

I splurged and got a Nordic Ware pan and it's like a whole new world. Cakes come out perfectly like magic. If its a nice quality pan, definitely go for it--Bundt cakes are awesome. We like that they are usually less fussy and not as sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Do it, linanil! I loves me some bundt! They look all fancy!

Lavawitch, I splurged and got a Nordic Ware pan too, but I haven't used it yet. I can't wait to see how it turns out. (If only I had the cacao!)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You will love it!

I had a crappy $10 pan and it never came out quite right. The fancy one is always perfect and painless. The bad thing is that now I want to upgrade all my bakeware.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've never been invited to a Thanksgiving dinner. Sure, it's because I'm Australian and we don't do Thanksgiving in Australia but I still want to get invited to a vegan Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm 

I need to do laundry but I'm too lazy to walk to the laundromat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

why is it impossible for me to find a vegan version of the mary janes i want?! UGH.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was hired as a contractor at this grooming place a little over a month ago, but only working two days per week. The owner can be kind of conservative annoying about tattoos and stuff (legally, she shouldn't be able to enforce a dress code for contractors), but overall I really like the place. When I was hired, I told the owner that I would continue looking for full-time work. After being there a couple weeks and realizing how much money I was making in just two days, I told her that if she could give me one more day, I could just focus on that shop and stop looking for another job.

Fast forward to yesterday, I signed a contract for a full-time position at another place, starting part-time and phasing out my contract with the first place, and now she's offering to give me another day if I'll stay until December. Arrrghhhh.

First world problem, because I know I'm lucky to even have a job right now. But it's still balls.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just had a really nice, comforting lunch (tofurky sammich with cranberry sauce, mayo, and baby spinach, split pea soup, and a cookie) and now I want to take a nap, but I have to work for the rest of the day!!

ETA: And the cookie was supposed to be an afternoon snack, but I already ate it! Now I'll have to eat carrots and hummus for a snack!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just brought some coffee "creamer" to work and put it in the fridge (unopened - never used - obviously new!) and the cleaning staff "cleaned the fridge" (aka - threw EVERYTHING away). There was no notice that this was going to happen. They have never cleaned the fridge in the year and a half I have worked here. So no delicous coffee for me. (plus it was a kind I had never tried before and had to get at my not usual grocery store :( so sad)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:48 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

annasrobbie wrote:
I just brought some coffee "creamer" to work and put it in the fridge (unopened - never used - obviously new!) and the cleaning staff "cleaned the fridge" (aka - threw EVERYTHING away). There was no notice that this was going to happen. They have never cleaned the fridge in the year and a half I have worked here. So no delicous coffee for me. (plus it was a kind I had never tried before and had to get at my not usual grocery store :( so sad)

I'd be so annoyed if that happened!

My FWP is that I can't find the belt for my dressing gown :(

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got my hair cut today and my sis used too short a guard on her clippers, so my hair is way too short in the back. I have a choir concert in a week... Sigh.

I don't like my head shaved when I don't go in intending to shave my head.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:07 pm 

xGreenling wrote:
I got my hair cut today and my sis used too short a guard on her clippers, so my hair is way too short in the back. I have a choir concert in a week... Sigh.

OMG, a couple of years ago I had a friend cut my hair and we didn't realize we even had to use a guard. My head was shaved to the skin. It was AWFUL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

JonnyWoop wrote:
xGreenling wrote:

OMG, a couple of years ago I had a friend cut my hair and we didn't realize we even had to use a guard. My head was shaved to the skin. It was AWFUL.

I've done that to a friend before!!
It was okay, because I was giving her wonky asymmetrical hair for a Delirium cosplay, and it meant we could draw on her scalp, but that's not a mistake I want to make again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

annasrobbie wrote:

Okay maybe like 7 months ago this exact same thing happened to me and I still haven't forgotten or forgiven. Now when I see stuff sit in there for a few weeks at a time I get extra angry. YOU GUYS THREW AWAY AN UNOPENED CREAMER BUT THAT FROSTY BAG OF BROCCOLI THAT'S BEEN IN THERE FOR A MONTH GETS TO STAY?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 170  Next