| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad news about Estee Lauder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

While I'm being grouchy
this:
Quote:
We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law. We evaluate our finished products in clinical tests on volunteer panels.”

The bottom line : American Beauty Is Not a Cruelty Free Company.

sort of eliminates buying from anyone save the smallest companies. Plus, that blog accepts ads from a shoe company that sells leather shoes and ads from Vaseline. What's Vaseline's testing policy?
Quote:
A: Our first priority is to our consumers and, where required by regulators for safety reasons, we carry out limited tests on some ingredients and foods to ensure our products are safe and suitable for their intended use. However, we will not use animal testing when we have available either an accepted alternative test or other information that allows us to sufficiently evaluate safety. We will continue our work for alternative methods by participating in industry and scientific programs, and we will continue to support legislation that promotes the elimination of animal testing through the development of alternative methods.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me but if you are going to toss around the vegan holy stick, you need to make certain that your blog's ads are all cruelty free.

/grouchy rant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Good catch, Vantine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Since we're being persnickity, that blog also has a list of vegan nail polishes that is almost word for word the one I put a lot of time and effort into compiling here, with no credit given at all. I'm happy that the info is getting out there, but it would have been nice to see a shout out to the ppk at least.

Plus if you look at old content the majority of the posts on there were paid "sponsored posts" not original content.

</end persnicking>

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

To be perfectly snarky, that website hurts my eyes. I was trying to look for the polish list, but it started giving me a headache.

My question, how do you know when a company really does want to end animal testing, but want to enter a market that requires it? Do they just not expand their business and stand their ground? How do you know the Aveda thing is BS? I'm pretty naive, and my BS-ometer is busted. I can never tell what to believe and what is just crepe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I think the thing to take away from this is that we all have to make our own decisions and do our own due diligence on these kinds of issues. There's no black-and-white with issues like these, as much as we might like there to be. Make up is one of those things that seems to be really difficult to keep on top of, and we can each only do what we can do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:11 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

One of the commenters on that Logical Harmony blog has this to say about the testing laws in China:

"Unfortunately the almighty dollar rules over ethics. Selling their products in a coutry with a population over one billion is a great way to like their pockets. There are alternatives however. For example : L’occitane sells in China but instead ships their finished cruelty-free products to China instead of opening a production facility where the finished products would need to be tested on animals. However it is more cost effective to produce and sell in China so that is what these companies have opted to do. It’s unfortunate that morals get pushed aside for the almighty dollar. I will not buy product that choose to test on animals or that are owned by a company that tests on animals, because that is still lining the pockets of the [aren’t company. I don’t care if the tests are done here or a million miles away. There are other options like shipping their products to that country or simply not doing business in a certain country that does not meet the companies’ requirements. Urban decay has beautiful formulated products; it is independently owned and has been certified cruelty-free by an independent company. Every purchase we make is a vote for a product and the only way to stop animal testing is to hit them where it hurts."

I obviously don't know where they got that information, but perhaps (hopefully) that doesn't necessarily mean that all products sold in China have been tested on animals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have a question: Aren't elf & wet n wild made in China? Does that mean they also test or are they msfe for export only so maybe the testing laws don't apply?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I popped along to Illamasqua the other day to replace my empty MAC face powder. The makeup artist was amazing. Coming from Lush we have a massive culture of making customers feel validated, and she blew me away. I'd have happily poached her :D

The powder isn't as good as MAC's mineral one, but the finish is pretty good and the blusher's lovely. Tonnes better customer service than I've ever had in MAC, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

so... has anyone heard any "new news" on this stuff? i've spent the last 6-8 months trying to wean myself off of aveda and origins, and to relatively good results, but there are one or two old things i'm about to run out of and don't have a sub for yet... so i thought i'd poke back in to see if anyone heard exciting miracle news about aveda or origins doing a 180 or something. heh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm 

I heard that Peta is donating money or something to China to help them with non-animal testing. I'm trying to Google more info. It seems this might not be new news though as I see an article from May.

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2012/05/07/china-to-approve-first-non-animal-cosmetics-test.aspx

An updated article:
http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2012/11/07/chinese-scientists-learn-non-animal-testing-thanks-to-peta.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You mean PETA is doing actual good stuff that isn't pissing people off or being needlessly offensive?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 pm 

Well they're telling everyone they're doing good stuff anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:05 pm 
WRETCHED

Wait, Origins? Admittedly I haven't bought their stuff in a while but I love them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i think the two main things i have left to sub are: origins eye makeup remover (my alternate was always aveda, so whoops) and aveda control paste. i'm not sure about good alternatives for the eye makeup remover (i've tried earth science but it's so oily/greasy/thick - i prefer the consistency to be like water/toner), and the lower i get, the more tempted i am to just buy more origins. as for the aveda control paste, i'm trying the giovanni pomade ("wicked texture") but the consistency is SO different (very sticky-yet-thin) and i'm not totally sold on it.

if i can find subs for those two things, i think i'm pretty golden.

(i also think i still like aveda mosscara the best, but i've found a couple of okay substitutes that i can live with.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have no idea if this is ok or gross or what, but I'll throw it out there. I have an almost full container of Aveda remover. It's probably a year or so old, and it's been sealed and kept in a cabinet.

It's yours if it's still usable. I only ever dipped clean q tips into it. I'm allergic to it. It makes my face feel like its on fire and turn red.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

oh, you're sweet! that would definitely give me a little extra time to sort out the problem, if you don't mind sharing! <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Pm me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 am 
Baking In The Flavor

bluedawg wrote:
i think the two main things i have left to sub are: origins eye makeup remover (my alternate was always aveda, so whoops) and aveda control paste. i'm not sure about good alternatives for the eye makeup remover (i've tried earth science but it's so oily/greasy/thick - i prefer the consistency to be like water/toner), and the lower i get, the more tempted i am to just buy more origins. as for the aveda control paste, i'm trying the giovanni pomade ("wicked texture") but the consistency is SO different (very sticky-yet-thin) and i'm not totally sold on it.

if i can find subs for those two things, i think i'm pretty golden.

(i also think i still like aveda mosscara the best, but i've found a couple of okay substitutes that i can live with.)

derma e eyebright remover is pretty good....its a thin gel consistency, just enough where i dont need to use cotton with it. doesnt sting my eyes & i am very sensitive. i used to use the creamy clinique one in the tube.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Google diy eye make up remover and make your own! That's what I have been doing and my version works sooo much better than my Aveda and Origins remover, for real. Totally impressed and you can make 30 or so bottles out of your ingredients. Just put it in your pretty Origins bottle or whatever and you're set.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jordanpattern wrote:
I think the thing to take away from this is that we all have to make our own decisions and do our own due diligence on these kinds of issues. There's no black-and-white with issues like these, as much as we might like there to be. Make up is one of those things that seems to be really difficult to keep on top of, and we can each only do what we can do.

I think that we all need a reminder of JoPa's wisdom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

la vie sale wrote:
Google diy eye make up remover and make your own! That's what I have been doing and my version works sooo much better than my Aveda and Origins remover, for real. Totally impressed and you can make 30 or so bottles out of your ingredients. Just put it in your pretty Origins bottle or whatever and you're set.

what version did you go with, if i might ask? :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm 

1 cup distilled water
1 tbsp tear free natural baby shampoo/ wash (whatever was on sale at Whole Foods)
1/8 tsp olive oil

You can alter a bit if you like more or less of a scent. I am so shocked it works so well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 pm 

That's interesting, la vie sale! I'm tempted to try it. I've been meaning to get some baby shampoo to wash my makeup brushes. HATED The Earth Science remover.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 am 

I also want to make my own toner and face wash. It's a fun little project! Baby shampoo sounds perfect for brushes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

awesome, thanks! i shall give it a whirl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next