| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why doesn't the vegan community have a law?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't mean the vegan police, I'm talking about something like Godwin's Law ("As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"). I know we have defensive omnivore bingo, but there's got to be some clearly arguable basis for a inevitable result of mentioning "vegan" in a crowd [of non-vegans].

Thoughts?

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

Post subject: Re: Why doesn't the vegan community have a law?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 pm 
Semen Strong

You know what I love as the vegan Godwin's law? Mention food long enough and someone will inevitably say "Oh that tastes just like the real thing." At which point every omnivore ever will disagree and all heck will break loose.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Tofulish wrote:
You know what I love as the vegan Godwin's law? Mention food long enough and someone will inevitably say "Oh that tastes just like the real thing." At which point every omnivore ever will disagree and all heck will break loose.

haha doesn't that still happen here even in vegan land? I immediately thought of the Daiya threads: "it's so real!" vs "OMG that stuff is the worst thing ever!"

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I think Vegan Godwin's law would be "As a discussion about veganism by non-vegans grows longer, the probability of a hypothetical situation involving a desert isle approaches 1"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:54 pm 
Semen Strong

The longer a discussion of veganism by non-vegans goes, the more likely it is for someone to mention that one vegan that one time who got so sick that she had to go back to eating meat and had a religious experience the first time she had butter.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Tofulish wrote:
The longer a discussion of veganism by non-vegans goes, the more likely it is for someone to mention that one vegan that one time who got so sick that she had to go back to eating meat and had a religious experience the first time she had butter.

This is what I was going to suggest! Every. damn. time!

Alternatively, "The longer the discussion about veganism by non-vegans, the greater the probability that the non-vegan party will mention say that they considered being vegan but just decided to eat 'happy meat' instead (bonus if said while eating meat of unknown / highly questionable origin) AND / OR cannot be vegan because he/she could never give up cheese."

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]