| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 137  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
Awesome, DtC! I want to break two hours sooo bad.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
I just started running on a regular basis, and I love it so much! Even though I spend most of the time walking instead of running.

Has anyone here used the Zombies, Run! app? It's pretty cool. It's like a live action video game that incorporates your exercise into the game. You have to speed up to evade zombies, pick up supplies, etc. I've been using their Zombies Run 5k app to help build up my endurance. It's going really well so far. Week 1 was mostly walk run sprints, and this week the running sprints are longer and I have to do heel lifts at certain intervals. Plus the story line in the game is insanely good! Which helps cause sometimes just listening to music gets boring for me.

_________________
everyday I'm tumblin' *insert crazy dance music* http://loveisthenewpunk.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
I've been thinking about getting that Zombies. Run! app after my half next weekend. Next quarter the only way I'll be able to get my runs in during the week (unless I use the treadmill at the fitness center..... *shudder*) is by going running at like 7am, which isn't really that early, but it's going to be freaking freezing and I'm going to have just rolled out of bed, so I'm going to be tired as hell. Hopefully the Zombies app will keep my motivated! Or at least scare the shiitake out of me so I go faster haha I

I think we have a few Seattlites in this thread. Anyone running the Seattle Marathon (full or half) next weekend? I was signed up for the full, but I got strep at the end of summer and was out of commission for a month, and it took me a few weeks after that to get back to being able to run without feeling like I was dying, so I changed to the half :/ Still excited though! My last half was the first hot weekend of the year, I wasn't hydrating well enough, plus my training wasn't as regular as it should have been... and I hit the wall super hard around mile 10. I've been training a lot better this time around (including hydrating and fueling better during long runs), so I'm hoping to make my goal I couldn't last time. 2:15ish or under. We shall see!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
I'm running the half. It's a "C" race for me, on the way to my February marathon so really more of a training run than a race. I'm supposed to be talking to my coach tomorrow or Tuesday about her plan for me, so I basically don't know what my goal time is yet. I'm definitely not looking for a PR, though. I think 2:15 is a solid goal for that course; if you've been running hills you should do awesome!

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:15 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Vienna
Congrats, Dave the cat! That's awesome.
Good luck to everyone with a race soon!

I signed up for the full in April because I'm scared of the cold ruining my training. And i got my husband to sign up too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Nova Scotia
I am getting used to running on a treadmill after many years of running only outside. Does anyone else run on a treadmill and have any tips for workouts?

So far (about a month) I have been occasionally upping the incline to mimic running up a hill. My plan for the winter is to run on the treadmill 3-4 days a week and run outside 1-2. One of the outside runs, later in the winter and into spring, will be a long run.

I sweat a lot, though! It's cool in the gym but I am completely soaked when I am done. There goes that option for meeting a guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:43 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1072
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
Ran a 5-mile race this Thanksgiving morning! Now I can eat all the food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:54 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
I usually run the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving but I didn't make it this year. I ended up running five miles on my own, because it was beautiful out. Then yesterday and today my easy runs accidentally turned into tempo runs because it was cold and I wanted to get home faster. I missed running!

Arisaig: I occasionally use a treadmill at school. My biggest problem with it is boredom, so if you're struggling with that, this might help. I tend to do random bursts of speed and changes in incline just to keep from being bored. Also, a trick I learned from Runner's World: if you're doing a run at a steady pace and incline, cover the display with a towel so you don't keep looking at it.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 1084
Location: Denver
So I ran almost 7 miles today, largely unintentionally. I am still super slow, but it felt really good to get out and run for a long time (for me at least). At first I thought I was not totally exhausted, but in fact I am spent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 1084
Location: Denver
(the post above is significant because that is by far the farthest i have run in my adult life, i think. Or at least in a long time. And on a gross note, i peed myself a bit while running because it was an emergency, which made me feel super hardcore, but also disgusting.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:34 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Go Olives! Seven miles is nothing to sneeze at.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1072
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
Sooo I'm thinking about registering for the Vancouver Marathon? I feel like a spring marathon is the answer to my training woes, since I'm such a wuss during the summer heat and humidity. This one's in May, which will give me plenty of time to train.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 2393
Do it. I'm thinking about the flying pig on the same day to give me a reason for running through the winter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1072
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
Butternut wrote:
Do it. I'm thinking about the flying pig on the same day to give me a reason for running through the winter.

The running motivation is totally a major reason I'm considering it. I have all the cold weather gear I could possibly need, so now I really don't have any excuses.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
How'd you do, Simply? I came in at 2:10:02, which is a ways off my PR, but better than I expected going in since it was really more of an expensive training run.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am
Posts: 756
Location: Toronto
14km run today.

Arg I think I have a problem of runner's rage. Today, an idiot in a truck wasn't paying attention at an intersection and almost hit me. I yelled an insult a bit louder than I probably should have, so he drove alongside me yelling back for a little while before driving off.

On the one hand, I feel totally justified being very angry at people who almost hit me with their cars. But on the other, I probably shouldn't convey that fact so openly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1084
Location: Minnesota
10 miles this morning followed by a plate of blueberry pancakes.

I've run 3 half marathons now, and my normal Sunday long run is 10-14 miles. I'm trying to decide if I want to try a full next summer. While my times for a half are slower (between 2:11 and 2:18), I don't get tired and I don't think I'm built for speed so much as endurance.

A full scares the crepe out of me, but a half doesn't challenge me since its pretty much just a normal Sunday run for me.

Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
Do it, rohai! Capitalize on your strengths. It doesn't have to be scary... just ramp up your long runs a little at a time and you'll figure out pretty quicky if 26.2 is scary. I think if you can get past the 18 mile barrier it's supposed to start falling into place (says the girl whose long so far is 13 and change!)

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:28 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Vienna
Way to go, everyone!
rohai - Are there any 30km races near you? I think that's a really great race distance. Or try to beat your half PR? My normal sunday runs are much slower than my race times and i think that running the same distance at a faster pace is a big challenge. But i also think you could totally run a full if you wanted to.
So could you, alice!
Good job, monkeytoes!
I'm going to sign up for a winter race series and run them as training runs to help get me out the door on a few of the upcoming cold days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
alice1drland wrote:
Sooo I'm thinking about registering for the Vancouver Marathon? I feel like a spring marathon is the answer to my training woes, since I'm such a wuss during the summer heat and humidity. This one's in May, which will give me plenty of time to train.

Ooh, I didn't even see this. Vancouver is SUCH a fantastic course (I've only run the half) and a really well-organized race. I'd recommend it to anyone. Early May is a bit unpredictable, but the weather this year was stellar.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
monkeytoes wrote:
How'd you do, Simply? I came in at 2:10:02, which is a ways off my PR, but better than I expected going in since it was really more of an expensive training run.


Eh, not as well as I hoped. 2:16:19. BUT, I'm not all that disapointed, because I had a three minutes and some change negative split (!). I was pretty excited about that. And even with it being a far more challenging course, I still finished 6 minutes faster than my first, and I didn't feel like I hit the wall at all this time. So yay about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:34 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
Simply_Love wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
How'd you do, Simply? I came in at 2:10:02, which is a ways off my PR, but better than I expected going in since it was really more of an expensive training run.


Eh, not as well as I hoped. 2:16:19. BUT, I'm not all that disapointed, because I had a three minutes and some change negative split (!). I was pretty excited about that. And even with it being a far more challenging course, I still finished 6 minutes faster than my first, and I didn't feel like I hit the wall at all this time. So yay about that.

That's great about the negative split! You did an awesome job pacing, especially since the course is so hill-intensive on the back half.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
monkeytoes wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
How'd you do, Simply? I came in at 2:10:02, which is a ways off my PR, but better than I expected going in since it was really more of an expensive training run.


Eh, not as well as I hoped. 2:16:19. BUT, I'm not all that disapointed, because I had a three minutes and some change negative split (!). I was pretty excited about that. And even with it being a far more challenging course, I still finished 6 minutes faster than my first, and I didn't feel like I hit the wall at all this time. So yay about that.

That's great about the negative split! You did an awesome job pacing, especially since the course is so hill-intensive on the back half.


Thanks! I'm hoping since now that I've got my pacing and fueling needs down better, in Feb/March when I do my next half I can get under 2:15 (and hopefully better if it's not as hilly).

Also, I have heard the pacers at the Vancouver Marathon wear bunny ears. Is this true? If it is, I would totally run it just for that fact Alice :P They would be like real life Energizer Bunnies hehe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7945
Location: Seattle
Last year they had a video of the the pacers running the course with bunny ears, but I didn't see any on race day. That doesn't mean they weren't wearing them though because I am pretty unobservant!

Do you have a race in mind for February/March? I did Birch Bay last year in mid-February. Super small race, pretty course, just one big hill but you get to turn around and come right back down it.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:30 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
I'm trying to decide between than and Lake Sammamish in March actually. I'm leaning towards the Lake Sammamish one, mainly because then I wouldn't have to make it a weekend away.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Birch Bay is super pretty, I'd love to run there one day.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 137  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer