| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm making the chocolate raspberry tart with the GF crust (also a coconut parsnip cake). I made it a couple weeks ago when I was last-minute invited to a pie party, and it was awesome. I'm not a fan of "traditional" Thanksgiving desserts because they are sorely lacking in chocolate. Last year I made the lemon pie, the pumpkin cheesecake, and the chocolate orange hazelnut (I think that's what it was) tart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

What's all this weirdness about not wanting your fruit pies to get soggy? Isn't everyone's favorite part the fruity gooey crust on the bottom?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay so the pumpkin cheesecake is on the menu. How about the cranberry pear one? I'm so excited! Cashews are asoakin'!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the Voluptuous Pumpkin Pie last night as a test (we celebrate on Friday, so this isn't as dire a situation as it seems) and it was really, really not sweet - I added a handful of sugar after tasting the pumpkin mixture and that just barely crossed the line from savory to sweet. Because I'm broke, I've been using corn syrup plus maple extract to replace maple syrup in various recipes with 100% success, but I wonder if that's not a good idea with a recipe where it's the only sweetener? I think I'll just add more sugar to the "real" pie, but am curious whether anyone has any theories on this. Thanks - and happy Thanksgiving to the USians among you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

elizabee wrote:
I made the Voluptuous Pumpkin Pie last night as a test (we celebrate on Friday, so this isn't as dire a situation as it seems) and it was really, really not sweet - I added a handful of sugar after tasting the pumpkin mixture and that just barely crossed the line from savory to sweet. Because I'm broke, I've been using corn syrup plus maple extract to replace maple syrup in various recipes with 100% success, but I wonder if that's not a good idea with a recipe where it's the only sweetener? I think I'll just add more sugar to the "real" pie, but am curious whether anyone has any theories on this. Thanks - and happy Thanksgiving to the USians among you!

you can just sub all the maple syrup with sugar. it'll be sweeter and cheaper. i've done that successfully before. I usually have to add a bit more maple syrup to mine, but i think it comes out plenty sweet. It might also depend on the pumpkin you're using. if you're using fresh squash the sweetness could vary a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks - sweeter and cheaper is definitely the goal! I might get a t-shirt with that on. The pumpkin was standard Libby's canned so I don't think that was it... subbing sugar should do the trick though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

ijustdiedinside wrote:
elizabee wrote:

you can just sub all the maple syrup with sugar. it'll be sweeter and cheaper. i've done that successfully before. I usually have to add a bit more maple syrup to mine, but i think it comes out plenty sweet. It might also depend on the pumpkin you're using. if you're using fresh squash the sweetness could vary a lot.

I made it with real maple syrup and everyone thought it was super sweet. It may be the corn syrup, it was very sweet with maple syrup only in our case and some thought too sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Single pie lovers: get a set of mini pie pans. I think you can make 4 or so out of a full recipe, then just freeze the others either before or after baking. I bake mine before baking. They come out lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

as i dumped everything into the blender for the pumpkin pie i realized i couldn't find my agar so i just added an extra tbsp of cornstarch and it went great.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:
I bake mine before baking.

Time travel? <3

I really want a set of mini springform pans, but haven't seen any! I do have a 6" pan (usually about 1/3 recipe) but it's very shallow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

AHAH YES ALL OF MY OMNI FAMILY LIKED MY PIES BETTER THAN THE OTHER ONES.
they still made fun of me all thanksgiving, but it's the little victories!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

boober, that's awesome!!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

I made the Maple Pecan Pie on Thanksgiving, but swapped the maple out for agave (I don't like maple usually!) and used all brown sugar (I didn't have white). It was excellent. Kind of amazing how the tofu just disappears in there.

Today I am going to make the sweet potato pie to take to an omni second-Thanksgiving-with-people-you-like-and-don't-have-drama-with.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the chocolate raspberry tart for Thanksgiving and all my (omni) relatives pratically licked the plates clean!

I ended up using the almond-based crust that was suggested, but I first tried the shortbread crust. I don't know what I did wrong, but the crust didn't stick together well and when I pressed it into the tart pan and tried poking it with a fork, it would fall apart. Did I not mix well, did it need more earth balance? Anyone have thoughts? I've never used a pastry cutter before, so maybe I did that wrong.

Oh well, it ended up fabulous and that's what counts!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jenlovesdoggies wrote:
I ended up using the almond-based crust that was suggested, but I first tried the shortbread crust. I don't know what I did wrong, but the crust didn't stick together well and when I pressed it into the tart pan and tried poking it with a fork, it would fall apart. Did I not mix well, did it need more earth balance? Anyone have thoughts? I've never used a pastry cutter before, so maybe I did that wrong.

Like it fell apart because it was dry? Then yeah, more margarine. Shortbread doughs are pretty soft and easy to work with (that's why they're my favourite!).

I made the hazelnut truffle tart again last night, for Boyfriend to take to a fundraiser bake sale at his work. That recipe has become my go-to for something reasonably impressive in a short timeframe. It's always a winner at my work morning teas, and apparently it went down well today too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

I made the shortbread crust twice in the past week (I had two pies to make guys!) and both times, I had to add about 2 tbsp of ice water to make the crust come together. More fat would work too!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you both!!

Yes it was too dry. I didn't really realize it wasn't going to be ok until it was all in the tart pan and so instead of dumping it back in the bowl, I just tossed it an used the other crust.

Next time I'll try adding more earth balance or the ice water.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

How long and at what temperature do I need to bake the Single & Loving it crust for the Banoffee pie? Sorry, I've never made pie crust before and I couldn't find the instructions anywhere! Help would be appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 pm 

Oh my goodness, banoffee pie! Seriously amazeballs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

How long did you bake the crust? I'll add that to my copy so that I don't have to despair when I want to make that crust! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:57 pm 

About 30 minutes at 350 F - I'd probably bake it a couple less minutes next time, as it browned a bit more than I would have liked. But it's still SOOO good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Can someone PM (or link) me the single and loving it pie crust recipe? I'm home for the holidays without my book and I want to make the maple pecan pie for christmas dinner. (If this isn't the right crust for this pie, please point me in the right direction!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 pm 

almiratanner wrote:
Can someone PM (or link) me the single and loving it pie crust recipe? I'm home for the holidays without my book and I want to make the maple pecan pie for christmas dinner. (If this isn't the right crust for this pie, please point me in the right direction!)

I'll check my book and message you in a few minute!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wahoo, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:34 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

VeganMeredith wrote:
About 30 minutes at 350 F - I'd probably bake it a couple less minutes next time, as it browned a bit more than I would have liked. But it's still SOOO good.

Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next