| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitchen Renovations?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone!

I did a search and I didn't find a thread for kitchen renovations. So I'm hoping I'm posting on the right board.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can point me to the right direction re: kitchen designers/reno around Victoria? Or at least some really good kitchen wesbites? Ooor maybe you can share a photo of your kitchen if that's not too much to ask? Just looking for some inspiration for the new kitchen.

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Post subject: Re: Kitchen Renovations?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Im not sure if it was on the old boards or here, but there def is a kitchen thread.

We renovated ours last year and used the Ikea kitchen planner website. It was pretty easy. But it took a while to come up with design. I have pics on my work computer, so I'll post them tomorrow.

Lowes has a kitchen planning feature on their site too. 1st thing you have to do is measure your space!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am interested in this. Ugh, my kitchen was designed both times (1950s and early 1980s) by people who don't really cook. Or clean.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Spice drawer. This made me really happy!
Stove, over the range microwave area. There used to be a window where this is now that we took out. It was dead space before, so bye bye window.
This is a peninsula that we created with 12" deep cabinets. My kitchen is small, so I didn't have space for a large island but we needed seating and prep area.
This is the fridge that is on the same wall with the stove.
This is a before picture. The stove was on the other side of the kitchen! We had to move the gas line.
This is a bad blury picture, but you can see the sink, shelves, and pendant lighting we put in.

Overall I am very happy with the remodel. It took forever! And cost more than we budgeted for. But we has some issues we didn't account for, so that is typical. I still haven't put up our tile backsplash yet. That is the only thing left to be done. And I need to take newer pictures after that happens. We have hardware on all of the cabinets now that wasn't done yet when I took these.

If anyone needs any help, tips, or advice let me know!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Looks great, GK! Very fresh and inviting. I love the light fixtures.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I hope this isn't too many pictures. We're still underway on our renovation. We bought this house in November and knew that the kitchen had to be completely redone so when January rolled around and the holidays and family visits were over I started tearing into it. Here are a few before pictures:

^ the mudroom (the original kitchen for the house - changed in the 1970's) the door to the left of the cabinet leads to the original porch that was later closed off. I removed the door and moved it to the other opening that is on the new kitchen side.
^ the original porch, getting turned into a pantry

And progress and as it sits now:
^ the former porch/new pantry
^ the mudroom now

There are more pictures here: http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/aldenmackie/kitchen%20reno/

I have some of the demo and various stages somewhere, I just need to upload them.

We've been waiting on the countertops ( http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collection/color-palette/Wellington ) for about 6 weeks now, they're coming from Minnesota and are being held up on the freight rail lines...we've been promised they'll be here by the second week of July. The initial goal was to get this all done by the time our child was born, but he came 5 weeks early and we're already a good month past his due date now so we've blown that deadline by a long bit haha. I did as much as I felt comfortable doing, that included tearing out the drywall and insulation, replacing the flooring (which included repairing some of the subfloor due to poor framing in the past), painting, and doing all the trim work (still more trim to be done). Even though I intended to do them myself originally I did have to hire out the cabinets because of the early arrival of our son and my quickly depleting free time.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

OMG! I love your fireplace. So jealous! It looks like it's going to be an amazing dream kitchen when you are done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love kitchen photos! I cannot wait until I have a place and can redo a kitchen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ha! I don't know if you want to strive for having to redo a kitchen. It's a lot of money and a lot of work. We started ours in January and didn't get done until May-ish. And we still haven't finished the tile. It was freaking exhausting and a pain in the asparagus to be living in the space while its under construction.

We took our old microwave, coffee maker, and table and put in our office so we could still heat some food up. And our fridge was in the living room! The cats were so confused! We had to keep plastic up to separate the space and keep the dust down to a minimum in the other rooms. And every night after working a full day we came home to the kitchen project! The end result was rewarding, but I do not want to do it over again in another house. Next house we buy must have a nice upgraded kitchen already done. Once was enough.

I think we lived off of Amy's mac and cheese and tofu pups that whole time too. And veggie burgers from the diner around the corner. It was rough!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 am 

GraciaKai wrote:
Ha! I don't know if you want to strive for having to redo a kitchen. It's a lot of money and a lot of work. We started ours in January and didn't get done until May-ish. And we still haven't finished the tile. It was freaking exhausting and a pain in the asparagus to be living in the space while its under construction.

We took our old microwave, coffee maker, and table and put in our office so we could still heat some food up. And our fridge was in the living room! The cats were so confused! We had to keep plastic up to separate the space and keep the dust down to a minimum in the other rooms. And every night after working a full day we came home to the kitchen project! The end result was rewarding, but I do not want to do it over again in another house. Next house we buy must have a nice upgraded kitchen already done. Once was enough.

I think we lived off of Amy's mac and cheese and tofu pups that whole time too. And veggie burgers from the diner around the corner. It was rough!

haha ours is a similar story. Not having a sink in the same room you're preparing food in absolutely sucks. The Trader Joes frozen section sustained me for months.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I tried not to do any dishes while it was going on. So not very eco friendly. But I bought a shiitake load of paper plates and bowls and plastic silverware and cups so that I didn't have to do dishes in the bathtub.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i love remodeling kitchens. IKEA kitchens are cheap and hold up pretty well! i've done kitchen remodeling in 3 apartments, and they've all turned out great - i don't have any pictures, though, as I am on a new computer.

but here are some ideas:

you could build something like this, but use the shelves to store plates, oil and vinegars, cute kitchen stuff, cookbooks and jars of beans, pasta, flour etc.

[img]http://mylifescoop.com/featured-stories/mls_1_13_image1.jpg]/img]

if you google around, you'll find lots of inspiring pictures.. you just need to find out what your budget is, make sure you have a buffer, and go from there. a paint job can do SO MUCH - esp. if you use bright colors and add in some vintage elements. IKEA units can be build in together a million ways, and mixed with shelves, or plateholderthingies etc.. don't be traditional when you think about how you want to remodel - you can have shelves all the way to the ceiling, paint the front of the cabinets in your favorite color, use cute tiles on the floor or on the walls, have hanging storage..

if i were you, i'd check out some european kitchens online, they seem a lot more spacious to me, than most american kitchens. i think it's got something to do with the dark-vs-light thing, and the top cabinets!

look around, get inspired, and make sure you have EVERYTHING planned before you start!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

these are cheap to make - all you need is the hole-board-thingy cut to your preferred size, a few layers of paint and some S-thingies. it's an easy, cheap and very cute storage solution if you ask me! you can even use it to hang herbs in pots, if you can get some pots that can hang!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love Ikea kitchens. It was def the most affordable way to go. And the online planner was a breeze to use once I got used to it. I had like 10 different versions of my kitchen going at once. You can save them all and refer back to them.

We got the cabinets and hardware from Ikea. Appliances from Sears they are Kenmore. The counters are Eco by Consentino, recycled glass. They are the most exciting thing in my kitchen and I love them dearly! The floor is floating cork panels. The pendant lights came from Bed Bath and Beyond. I think we got paint from Sherwin Williams, whatever the no VOC kind is. It is a custom color based on something I saw elsewhere. I still need art, but I did get these vintage tins from Etsy that I put on the shelves. I need to take a picture of those.

There are so many things you can do! I agree with smoothie, get a really solid idea of what style you want and then use the internet to help you come up with good ideas.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 am 

alden wrote:
We've been waiting on the countertops ( http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collection/color-palette/Wellington ) for about 6 weeks now, they're coming from Minnesota and are being held up on the freight rail lines...we've been promised they'll be here by the second week of July. The initial goal was to get this all done by the time our child was born, but he came 5 weeks early and we're already a good month past his due date now so we've blown that deadline by a long bit haha. I did as much as I felt comfortable doing, that included tearing out the drywall and insulation, replacing the flooring (which included repairing some of the subfloor due to poor framing in the past), painting, and doing all the trim work (still more trim to be done). Even though I intended to do them myself originally I did have to hire out the cabinets because of the early arrival of our son and my quickly depleting free time.

I realized I never updated this. The counter tops finally came two or three months ago. I don't have any more recent pictures since this but since this shot was taken I've gotten most of the trim work done. Things have been moving really slowly but progress still gets made little by little.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I would love to see more pics of kitchen renos! I will probably be renovating my kitchen in the next couple of years - it is a really small kitchen so I'm curious to see how people make the most of smaller spaces. The ones posted so far look beautiful!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 am 
WRETCHED

And I thought this was going to be a whole thread of spam although a spammer resurrected it. I think we are 2-3 years from a kitchen renovation so glad that part of this thread is real.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

we're going to reno our kitchen this summer and hubby really really wants hardwood floors. I REALLY don't want hardwood in the kitchen. We have a dog, hubby is a messy cook, and I drop things all the time. 3 good reasons not to get a wood floor.

If you have a wood floor in the kitchen I would love to get your input (Alden?). Or other brilliant flooring ideas for kitchen. I thought of cork but I don't think that's great either. I get lots of pros and cons for tiles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 pm 
WRETCHED

I like the wood flooring in my kitchen. We have dogs, I'm a messy cook as well. I also use rugs near the sink and stove. The wood flooring actually has stood up really well.

I also highly recommend looking at Houzz.com

Here is a mini article but they have tons of pictures that can be helpful for you
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/2481953/ ... e-Flooring

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]