| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obligatory "STFU about Christmas in November" thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Apologies if a similar thread already exists, but I am once again heartily sick of Baby-Jesus-Palooza before the Thanksgiving leftovers have even been eaten.

It's absolutely insane, and the ridiculous, vapid madness begins earlier every year (case in point: by the afternoon of October 31st, all the Halloween candy at our local grocery store had been replaced by candy canes, red & green Hershey's kisses, etc.) For crying out loud, today is NOVEMBER 25TH. Christmas is an entire month away; even for those who participate/believe in the season's religious aspect, Advent doesn't begin until December 2nd. And yet there are several local radio stations that have already been playing nothing but stupid Xmas music 24/7 for several weeks, and a walk through my neighborhood showed houses strung with lights - and even Christmas trees in some windows - fully a week before Thanksgiving, and before the raked up leaves and discarded jack-o'lanterns had been collected from the gutters.

All of which makes me wonder what is wrong with people? Is the sense of emptiness pervading post-modern western society so severe, and are people so miserably discontented with their "real" lives that they have to pin their hopes for the entire year on a "season" that purports to be about "joy" but is in reality an artificial, cynical, market-driven construct that cares only for turning a profit. And it's apparently working, since hordes of unreflective dupes are now leaving their Thanksgiving dinners early to stand in line at big box stores. I even heard of one woman who proudly declared she was having "turkey day" on Wednesday so she and her daughters could devote Thanksgiving to their "family tradition" of Christmas shopping: my head asplode.

To paraphrase my friend Ebenezer Scrooge, "If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips before the calendar even reads December should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

/End rant.

Post subject: Re: Obligatory "STFU about Christmas in November" thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:41 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Try living in the UK. The Christmas lights (and market) have been on in Cardiff since the 16th (not that I'm complaining...pretty...).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I approve this message. The husband and I went separate ways this Thanksgiving Day (not really intentional, it just worked out like that) and he had some relatives leaving dinner to go stand in line. Really? I even try to avoid going to places that virtually have to be open on holidays, like drug stores. I think it's shitty of people who expect to have the day off expect stores to be open for their own convenience, if you can call those crowds a convenience. I know most of the people I know who would go shopping on T-giving day, or any other major holiday would have a forking fit if they, themselves, had to be the ones herding crazed shoppers on a family holiday.

With that said, a lot of my family works holidays, my husband included, but I think the way retail works these days is shiitake. there is no way that most of those people are working their "normal" hours.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Christmas season will begin as soon as the new version of Angry Birds holiday is released.

I like Christmas. The air is crisp and cold, mint hot chocolate tastes lovely, Pavarotti's Christmas cd is in rotation, and there is an excuse to bake unholy amounts of cookies. Snow day potential is in the air.

I feel you though. I stop going near any stores after Halloween. It's just me and my parents, so no holiday craziness. We do small things to make it nice for us and hang stocking for the birds and put lights up 2 weeks or so before Christmas, and put up a tree with all the ornaments we've collected over the years and around the world. We also open presents etc on Christmas Eve and sleep in Christmas day. We have Irish potato leek soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. For us, it's all about our own little traditions. We don't have any extended family to consider.

I think that's the survival trick: cocoon yourself in with your own family or friends or whatever arrangment makes you happy, and shop online if you need to buy things. And for me, I hide while people watch sappy, gooey, annoying Christmas movies. Yes! The definitely includes It's a Womderful Life. Die Hard is ok though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There is a soft rock station I like to listen too when I drive home from work. Every year, a few days before Thanksgiving they switch to being 100% Christmas Music station. They stay that way through New Years.

I actually like hearing those songs once a year and would enjoy it if they limited themselves to running them one week before Christmas and maybe stopping a day later.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Bah Humbug.

Bring it on. A month of sparkles, music, trees, glitter and red balls sure beats the cold three months of wet, snowy suck that follow New Years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

One thing that cheered me up was reading that for several big retailers forcing their workers to run the stores on Thanksgiving didn't increase their sales. It just shifted some Black Friday sales to Thursday evening. I feel conflicted about that as jobs are connected to this, but there is no reason why stores can't offer their sales and people can't shop over a greater span of time, with a little more human dignity than becoming a mob for the latest piece of toxic plastic crepe from China.

On the upside I heard some impressive statistics about how buying American, even a tiny bit, can dramatically boost jobs.

American stuff is hard to find. I wish someone would make an online guide. I would gladly try to limit myself to it when Holiday Shopping.

LOL......boy do I sound bad..........Bah! Humbug! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I agree that we don't need to say merry Christmas in November, but I love all things Christmas. I am glad that while I grew up I didn't know people who hated Christmas and that my parents made the holidays fun and loving. We never really had family drama that I knew about and now I love that this is a time of year to get together with friends and family, I love that there is special music and decorations. Frankly, I love the changing of seasons and the things that are involved in that. In the summer I love doing a really deep clean of my house and packing up sweaters and pulling out sun dresses, there is music that is summery to me and I love open windows and fresh flowers. So I guess for me the traditions that go along with each season is great!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:54 pm 
WRETCHED

I went to Target on Halloween day (due to the hurricane, I hadn't really bought much candy, wanted to get a bit more). They were tearing down the Halloween stuff and putting up Christmas stuff, on Halloween. That is crazy.

Anyway, I think this is why my husband and I opt out of Christmas for the most part. We go to my parents (this year we are arriving on the 23rd). So we'll have Christmas decorations and 'festivities' for a few days. That is enough for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I like to start christmas the day after thanksgiving only because it is a bit of work to put out all the lights and things, so i like a month to enjoy it. Truth be told though, I do get a bit annoyed while doing it. (getting the boxes out of the attic, untangling lights, etc) It is usually mostly worth it in the end.

I love the holidays but then again, i hardly ever go shopping (expept online) so i avoid that whole aspect. And there definitely should be some kind of law that forbids it before thankgiving, that's just wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

On the one hand, I try to share LW's sentiments about hot drinks and my own personal collection of Christmas music, and all that. On the other hand, as soon as the Salvation Army bell ringers come out to guilt me, I stop going to a lot of places. I switched grocery stores, but last year I would park over by the pharmacy just to use that door (I don't think the place I go to now has bell ringers, and they have two doors anyway). My joy of window shopping, which to me is often just as good to satisfy that consumer drive as actually buying things, is squashed.

Also Brian's mom is not going to Las Vegas to get married this year and family issues and i'm all :(((((((((((((((((( so hard that i've been battling the stress induced heartburn over it for a week.

But no one can take putting my tree up from me.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:18 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Our supermarket has two doors, too--and there are Salvation Army people outside of each one.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

MBM: you missed the part about me being a hermit; that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:43 pm 
Impressive boner

The Christmas stuff comes out in the shops here straight after Hallowe'en. Nottingham's lights went on some time last week. I don't mind it really but it feels like it gets more commercialized every year. I'm not buying as many gifts this year, nor as much junk food, but I will be making more cookies to give to colleagues and family.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

I hermit as much as possible, but since Brian works and goes to school I usually have to buy the groceries and stupid adult crepe.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas - I love my Christianity-appropriated pagan conifer, filling my mantel with (also pagan) evergreens, drinking nog, making marmalade, baking cookies, getting the chance to visit with people during the long-awaited mid-year break, and the whole business. But I like these things at Christmastime, which begins in December, and extends as far as January 6th: all good things in all good time. Maybe I'm just a hyperanalytical cynic (and/or fortunate in being pretty content with my ordinary, quotidian life) but the mad rush to push the "season" earlier and earlier just strikes me as sort of sad and desperate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

The commercialization is maybe a bit sad, but I don't anything wrong with focusing on joy, light, music, and thinking about others a few weeks early.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mrsbadmouth wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I hermit as much as possible, but since Brian works and goes to school I usually have to buy the groceries and stupid adult crepe.

I haven't seen much Christmas creep at Wegmans yet. Giant has bell ri hers, but not Wegmans.

I can forgive it a bit early this year since this was an early Thanksgiving. I imagine the malls have been set up since Halloween.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:22 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I had to work Thanksgiving this year, as I have every year since I started my job (save that one year I was out on medical leave). I mostly don't mind. I work in a grocery store, so it makes sense for us to be open. Also, there's that whole time-and-a-half thing. That's pretty great. I would not feel the same if I worked at a clothing or electronics store. That's not cool.

But Christmas can suck it. I like the lights, the trees are pretty, and there's something really special about the feel of everything. That's it. Everything else is the worst. This time of year stresses me out so much. The abject consumerism, the crowds, the "Merry Christmases". What if I'm Jewish? Or Jehovah's Witness? I'm not either, but I'm also not Christian, and resent the assumption. The decorations in the stores change so early so they can get people in the "spirit" and get that much more of their money. But the worst part for me is THE HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MUSIC. I've been subjected to it 40 hours a week for half of my life at this point. TOO MUCH. I've been off the last two days, and I just know when I go to work this afternoon that I'll be forced to hear that horrible Mariah Carey Christmas song. Great. It's in my head already.

Maybe if/when I don't work retail anymore, I won't hate Christmas so much.

Nah. Too scarred.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I love Christmas, but I'm with Desdemona in hating the way the season gets dragged out for longer and longer every year. It just makes it seem less special. I finish work this year on the 21st, and that is when I will put up my tree. It comes down again on New Year's day. That is just about long enough for Christmas for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I mostly like Christmas, but I get extremely grumpy because of all the War on Christmas/Keep Christ in Christmas shiitake. Plus I'm a broke college student and just can't afford to get presents for all the people I'm supposed to.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

kara kara wrote:
But the worst part for me is THE HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MUSIC. I've been subjected to it 40 hours a week for half of my life at this point. TOO MUCH. I've been off the last two days, and I just know when I go to work this afternoon that I'll be forced to hear that horrible Mariah Carey Christmas song. Great. It's in my head already.

Maybe if/when I don't work retail anymore, I won't hate Christmas so much.

Nah. Too scarred.

This!! I don't work retail anymore, but I did for years, and I heard enough Jingle Bell Rock to scar me for life. I still cringe when I go shopping this time of year because it just brings back so many bad memories.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jogirl wrote:
I love Christmas, but I'm with Desdemona in hating the way the season gets dragged out for longer and longer every year. It just makes it seem less special.
I really think this is a big part of what bugs me so much about it getting earlier and earlier; by the time it's actually December, I've just had a bellyful of it. When I was growing up, we put wreaths on the doors and my mom started baking cookies and playing Christmas records once December got underway, but we never got our tree until a week or two before the holiday, and the only people I knew who put theirs up earlier had fake ones (which still strike me as horrible; if you're going to appropriate a random pre-Christian ritual, at least do it properly). My youngest son was born on December 12th, so since he came along we've had a tradition of combining tree-buying-and-decorating with his birthday, but to my mind, the second weekend in December is soon enough to deck the halls, and by the time January 6th rolls around I'm glad to see the back of it all and get back to normal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We always had real trees, but for the past few years none of us are physically capable of buying a tree, transporting it home, bring it up stairs, and putting it up. We just can't. A decent fake tree is better than none t all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm 

I am super-anti-fake tree. It's partly a lifelong hate of fake plants (if you run into my mom, ask her what little Katie's reaction was to her trying to buy fake flowers for grandma's grave), but I also really really really like the smell of a real tree. For few years after my parents bought their farm, we would buy the kind with a dirt ball so you can plant them. The first year after I moved out, I came home and my mom had no tree of any kind. No decorations. I was pretty upset. But we did have our Christmas day tradition of my dad yelling at us and insisting we clean the house!