| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: annoyed with nasoya - anyone else get rotten tofu lately
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

supercarrot wrote:
i wonder if it has anything to do with their new packaging method. (now you can easily peel the plastic off the tub. before it was cemented firmly, and needed a knife.)

ooh, good call.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I wouldn't stop buying it just for one rotten package. Since the affected tofy seems to have been the one expiring Dec. 6th, maybe there was something that happened with the packaging that day or the production of the tofu...maybe a new person started and made a mistake. Stuff happens!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Angelina wrote:
I wouldn't stop buying it just for one rotten package. Since the affected tofy seems to have been the one expiring Dec. 6th, maybe there was something that happened with the packaging that day or the production of the tofu...maybe a new person started and made a mistake. Stuff happens!

i agree "stuff" can happen but i put a lot of trust into the companies i purchase food from to take the highest precautions to ensure i am buying a safe food product. and while i'd love to give nasoya another try, i cannot condone the level of poor customer service i have received. i attempted to contact them multiple times and all my attempts went ignored, that is, until today. i remembered i had a personal e-mail addy for someone at nasoya and i wrote to them and now the ball is rolling. finally, someone who cares. someone who actually read what i wrote and responded thoughtfully. someone who in their own words said, "If I were you I’d be totally livid," and that her fellow colleague who overlooked my contact attempts "dropped the ball big time."

we'll see........

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

like i said, you were probably in the queue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

actually i was in the queue being ignored ;) i'll let y'all know how things turn out and what new info is given to me on monday based on some quality test stuff they are going to do since i had the batch #, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I usually buy Trader Joe's or pick tofu up at the Asian market cause it's cheeper, but now I'm going to have to buy the expensive stuff so I can get the "free" shorts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
i wonder if it has anything to do with their new packaging method. (now you can easily peel the plastic off the tub. before it was cemented firmly, and needed a knife.)

You are possibly a genius, as this hasn't occurred to me, despite the fact I think of how lovely it is to just peel away the top and then wonder why the hell they didn't do that before now. I guess rotting tofu is a good reason! I've had Wildwood's peel away packages before and they don't peel, which could explain why we're not complaining about them.

Also, I'm really sad that I just threw away three tofu UPCs, those shorts are awful!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

They wrote back to me, too, but someone tossed the container! I can't believe that it's only 4 UPCs for all that swag. At Amy's it's like a full time job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I don't think someone dropped the ball by not getting back to you. People seem to expect a lot from customer service these days. Companies get tons of emails to sift through and they could be checking out the problem or something else. Email and websites give easy access but that doesn't mean personalized instant service.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 am 

panda is wise as always.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 am 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:

i also saw "soy boy" brand. anyone try that? i'm definitely for a new brand to continue buying to replace nasoya.

soy boy is good, it's made near rochester, ny so it's local ish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
I don't think someone dropped the ball by not getting back to you. People seem to expect a lot from customer service these days. Companies get tons of emails to sift through and they could be checking out the problem or something else. Email and websites give easy access but that doesn't mean personalized instant service.

i'm sorry, but i do have to disagree with you. over a 2 or 3 week period, i e-mailed three times, did an online form, and called, and when i called i got voice mail so i hung up. is this a bit much for me to attempt contact? yes. a bit nutty? perhaps. but i was really frustrated at the lack of any kind of reply to my concern of getting a container of stinky, spoiled tofu.

i thankfully rarely have the need to complain to any food company about quality control issues, but in the past when i have, the companies always promptly replied promptly and personally.

i did not use the words drop the ball myself, the customer service rep (who is taking over my "case") from nasoya did. she was embarassed at the extreme delay in any kind of reply from her company and was quite disappointed that her colleague replied to me in such an impersonal manner. she said they for a 24 hour turn around time with replying to people. she did not say that they were overloaded with e-mail inquiries, she just said that her colleague overlooked my e-mails and gave me a poor impersonal reply back to my original concern.

and yes, i admit i do expect a lot from customer service these days, i think most of us do. i certainly don't want to experience sub-standard customer service either in person or on the phone or online.

maybe other people don't think it's a big deal to open up a container of spoiled tofu and get no response from a company after you've contacted them multiple times, but for me it is a big concern. it's sub-standard customer service. thankfully my new nasoya contact is great and she will be contacting me again after the holiday to let me know what their quality control team digs up in regards to the batch info i provided.

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

IsaChandra wrote:
They wrote back to me, too, but someone tossed the container! I can't believe that it's only 4 UPCs for all that swag. At Amy's it's like a full time job.

i'm curious, who wrote you back? ann is my nasoya contact that is taking over everything and will be getting back in touch with me on monday....

it's actually 4 UPC for each item, so you'd need 8 for the shorts + tee ;) i might have some extras ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

bookwormbethie wrote:
and yes, i admit i do expect a lot from customer service these days, i think most of us do. i certainly don't want to experience sub-standard customer service either in person or on the phone or online.

maybe other people don't think it's a big deal to open up a container of spoiled tofu and get no response from a company after you've contacted them multiple times, but for me it is a big concern. it's sub-standard customer service. thankfully my new nasoya contact is great and she will be contacting me again after the holiday to let me know what their quality control team digs up in regards to the batch info i provided.

I'll simply take it that you don't work in the service sector.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
i did not use the words drop the ball myself, the customer service rep (who is taking over my "case") from nasoya did. she was embarassed at the extreme delay in any kind of reply from her company and was quite disappointed that her colleague replied to me in such an impersonal manner. she said they for a 24 hour turn around time with replying to people. she did not say that they were overloaded with e-mail inquiries, she just said that her colleague overlooked my e-mails and gave me a poor impersonal reply back to my original concern.

she is trying to diffuse the situation. it's very likely she doesn't want to admit that there are a ton of recent complaints that is mucking up the formerly well oiled machine. it's better to tell your customer that you're pinning it on a single employee than to admit that the company as a whole done forked up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

As someone who has worked in e-mail customer service, I can imagine if they have a small e-mail service department (and it's likely the case), and suddenly thousands of containers of rotten tofu made it out there, they are probably drowning in messages and requests, in addition to trying to compile all of the proper information to track down the bad batch(es), and waiting for further information from other departments so they can pass it along to the customers. If there are 1,000 people (just to throw out a number) out there who've gotten a rotten pack of tofu, and some of them sent 2 or 3 messages, that generates a lot of e-mails to go through, respond to, collect information from the customer, etc. All of that takes time. If we're talking about just a few people here, or perhaps even one person, that takes a while, and the process is slowed considerably when the same person e-mails multiple times...it just keeps building.

And it doesn't get any better when you have customers yelling at you because you have thousands of messages to respond to, and you're doing the best you can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Has anyone ever noticed they open a packet of tofu - well within the use by date - & it has an overwhelming smell that's kind of pineappley? I've had this happen about three or four times with my favourite brand. It's very off-putting & nothing you do masks the smell/taste. It's not moldy or slimy, just this weird, horrible fruity smell.

There's another brand that sometimes goes weirdly grainy & chalky & I just have to throw it away. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I actually do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Karena wrote:
Has anyone ever noticed they open a packet of tofu - well within the use by date - & it has an overwhelming smell that's kind of pineappley? I've had this happen about three or four times with my favourite brand. It's very off-putting & nothing you do masks the smell/taste. It's not moldy or slimy, just this weird, horrible fruity smell.

There's another brand that sometimes goes weirdly grainy & chalky & I just have to throw it away. Yuck.

I had a package of Trader Joe's tofu once (well within the use-by date) that smelled horribly fruity. Like fruit-going-bad fruity. It put me off tofu for a while. Being a tofu novice, I figured that was what rotten tofu smelled like until I read this thread. So you ate it and it wasn't rotten?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

pandacookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

Hey, please don't get personal here. She got bad customer service, you disagree, but no need to make it a personal issue about someone else's perceived life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I picked up two packages of Nasoya yesterday with great reluctance because of this thread, but no other brand was available. I opened one box yesterday and there was no water but it looked and smelled okay. I baked it and haven't had any of it yet but my guy ate half the pan so I'm guessing it wasn't bad!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

dakini wrote:
I picked up two packages of Nasoya yesterday with great reluctance because of this thread, but no other brand was available. I opened one box yesterday and there was no water but it looked and smelled okay. I baked it and haven't had any of it yet but my guy ate half the pan so I'm guessing it wasn't bad!

strange that there was no water??? i was under the impression that most of their stuff comes packed in water.

for now i've switched brands, but may re-visit my decision based at a later date, we'll see....... i have my nasoya t-shirt and 'extra firm' booty shorts so i'm good for now ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Now I'm super pissed that I've been throwing away upc's all willy nilly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Me too. Nasoya is the only tofu in most stores around here. I could've clothed all of the ppk by now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'll look around my desk later, but I'm pretty sure I have extra UPCs floating around. I still saved them just in case Nasoya got new swag. If I find any, I'll post back in here to see if anyone wants them.