| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:26 pm 
WRETCHED

my mother-in-law liked the Gardein roast more but my husband and I are firmly on the side of Tofurkey. Also, I did roast them both together in a dutch oven. They both cooked at the same amount of time at 350 in the oven. The gardein was almost fragile defrosted but it was ok.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Isa posted to Facebook that she made a modified version of the corn pudding from Vcon. Inquiring minds want to know more!

My mom made that every year when I was a kid and I haven't had it in forever! How would you guys alter it to make it a fall dish, the one in Vcon has a southwestern spin. My mom died years ago so I have no idea how she made it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I made squash and chestnut casserole (V'con), the green bean casserole from the ppk blog, mashed potatoes, my grandmother's stuffing recipe (made with silken tofu instead of eggs, and Earth Balance instead of chicken fat), with gravy and cranberry sauce from Whole Foods. I also baked some cornbread, and we bought an apple pie, also from Whole Foods. And I also got some Field Roast, which I didn't serve at dinner, but I'm using it for leftover sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm kind of pissed at myself for not buying a tofurky. The holidays just don't feel right without one. I bought the slices for my thanksgiving lasagna, but it's just not the same. I need that gross stuffing in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

laurenbelle wrote:
I have no money to host a Thanksgiving dinner for my friends this year, but last year the surprise hit was the Chickpea Cutler Roulade. The seitan I was trying to make came out like unyielding rubber twice, so I gave up and made a double batch of the Veganomicon chickpea recipe, put my roulade filling inside, rolled it up, covered it with puff pastry and baked it. So freaking good.

Thanks for sharing your idea on using the cutlets to make a roulade! That is what i ended i doing. I often do them with white beans instead of chickpeas to create a nice soft seitan dough which ended up being perfect to roll out. I did a 1.5x recipe, rolled it out and stuffed it with a pretty classic bread stuffing.

The pecan pie (VPITS, but I didn't want it maple flavored so I used agave instead and all brown sugar) turned out fantastically and I pretty much want to make that for every Thanksgiving.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the best meal ever. Field roast en croute (didn't make that, obviously, but I made everything else), red wine gravy, smoky mushroom and leek stuffing, kale/farro/currant/pine nut salad with balsamic reduction, green bean casserole, cranberry orange sauce, salted caramel pecan pie with chocolate drizzled on top, and shaker lemon pie. I had a little bit of everything last night and then a little of everything again this morning!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Such a delicious thanksgiving - this is the first year that my mother allowed me to make every single side dish vegan (instead of just putting my mashed potatoes to the side and making me make second versions)! I don't think they'll ever stop making a turkey, but I won't give up hope. We feasted on...

Watermelon Radish, Olive, and Pistachio Appetizers
A Queen's Cousin Cocktail
Mashed Potatoes
Tofurkey Gravy
Spicy and Sweet Cranberry Pepper Sauce
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sauteed Green Beans with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts
Crescent Rolls
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Vegan Sausage, Mushroom, and Walnut Stuffing
A straight from the garden winter greens salad with apples, walnuts, and a maple-apple cider dressing
V'con Lemon Bars with Candied Meyer Lemons from our tree
A Pumpkin Roll veganized from the traditional Libby's Pumpkin Roll Recipe

Everything was amazing and got great reviews. My omnivorous family and friends loved all my dishes. The lemon bar recipe was the first thing I've made using agar. I was so impressed! I adored lemon bars years ago and made sure to give thanks to the Isa and Terry and the rest of the badass vegan community for their devotion to creating and sharing amazing vegan recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm so impressed with the VPITS pumpkin pie! It was better than any omni pumpkin pie I remeber having, and I loved pumpkin pie. I've only ever made one other vegan pumpkin pie and don't remember what recipe I used, but I was not thrilled. I had it for breakfast and I will have it again with dinner. Mmmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

wow, thanks in part to isa's amazingness, we had the best thanksgiving ever! and coming from a person who has been vegan for 22 years (my dh) that is saying something. her seitan roast was better than the tofurkey or field roast we have had in the past, was a cinch to make yet looked like i slaved over it, made twice as much for a fraction of the $$. dh has declared that we never buy a premade roast again. and the pumpkin cheesecake, omg!! LOVED it. the stuffing i made was from eliza vegans blog that someone posted earlier and was spot on like the stove top i love (but 10 times better) made better with some added shiitakes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am 
Keepin' It Seal

My thanksgiving:
-Isa's Stuffed Seitan Roast wrapped up in puff pastry.
-Desdemona's stuffing
-Chickpea gravy (a mix of the AFR and VWAV recipes)
-Roasted sweet potatoes
-Roasted butternut squash (not in the picture)
-Roasted broccoli and cauliflower
-VPITS Pecan Pie

Everything was fantastic. I was blown away by how easy and delicious the roast was. I'm gong to make that every year for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

joyfulgirl wrote:
My thanksgiving:
-Isa's Stuffed Seitan Roast wrapped up in puff pastry.
-Desdemona's stuffing
-Chickpea gravy (a mix of the AFR and VWAV recipes)
-Roasted sweet potatoes
-Roasted butternut squash (not in the picture)
-Roasted broccoli and cauliflower
-VPITS Pecan Pie

Everything was fantastic. I was blown away by how easy and delicious the roast was. I'm gong to make that every year for sure.

Wow that looks amazing! I love that roast but now I really want to wrap it in puff pastry next time I make it...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, I will go ahead and review, in case someone looks this thread up for reference. Most of the recipes are easily accessable

Seitan roast suffed with shittakes and leeks (from the PPK blog)
Cornbread and scallion stuffing (from Terry's blog)
Mushroom gravy (Vcon)
Lemon garlic green beans (my recipe)
Sweet potato drop biscuits (AFR)
Pumpkin pie (bryanna clark's blog recipe)

Pretty small dinner, just the 2 of us, and besides the stuffing and the roast, I have made everything before. The pie is great, its really a heavily spiced pie, which is how we like it. Easy to make too, and inexpensive! Mushroom gravy and biscuits were great as usual.

The roast was really dissaponting. It was easy enough to make, and I baked it for an hour, felt very firm. But it was raw inside. In the oven for 10 more minutes. Still raw. 10 more. Raw. 5 more. OVERCOOKED. So sad. the stuffing inside was GREAT though. Even my mushroom hating partner really liked it. I will try another time to make with a setian recipe that I have had more success with I think.

Terry's cornbread stuffing was so freaking good. I have been on a search for years to find a stuffing I love and I think this is it! More sausage next time. Also, the cornbread was so good. I am not a huge cornbread fan, I don't like the texture, but this used corn FLOUR instead of cornmeal, so I think that helped. This might be my go-to cornbread recipe. It would be easy to spice up with jalepenos or some fresh corn.

Also I made the Jalepeno-corn gravy from Vcon last night (first time) and had that, chickpea cutlets and leftover stuffing and it was amazeballs. Gravy-hating partner loved it. went PERFECT with the stuffing and the cutlets.

So dinner was meh. Honestly, I was upset about the roast, and had a LOT of wine, so I didn't eat much. But the leftovers were great. Next year no seitan though. Made a roast for like the last 5 years, kinda tired of them. Maybe if I have the $ I will buy a fancy one or something.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:53 pm 
Chip Strong

Chicki wrote:
The roast was really dissaponting. It was easy enough to make, and I baked it for an hour, felt very firm. But it was raw inside. In the oven for 10 more minutes. Still raw. 10 more. Raw. 5 more. OVERCOOKED. So sad. the stuffing inside was GREAT though. Even my mushroom hating partner really liked it. I will try another time to make with a setian recipe that I have had more success with I think.

I had a problem with the roast as well. Mine came out tough and rubbery. It might have something to do with sitting in the warming drawer for an hour while we waiting for the turkey, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made:

- Desdemona's stuffing
- Bryanna's seitan and soy loaf (not blown away by it...)
- Sage gravy from Vegan Diner
- Biscuits from Vegan Diner
- My mom's baked beans (my favorite thing ever!)
- Green bean casserole from Fat Free Vegan
- Corn pudding
- Broccoli with a cheesy sauce
- Garlicky mashed red potatoes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10