| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NYT: Vegan Food Has Gone Mainstream
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

quagga wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm always realy annoyed that there's no veggie grill or native foods in san diego. it seems so silly!

I am really surprised to learn this! San Diego is such a big metro area and it seems such an easy jump from LA. I guess San Diego doesn't have Veggie Grill or Native Foods for the same reason Sacramento doesn't...just because.

I have no illusions that Chico will have the likes of either place anytime soon.

My most recent experience of San Diego was that the options were very meager. There was one fast food type place with shakes that was pretty good (don't remember name), also the grungy Mexican place (don't remember name) that has fairly good options. Saw a Loving Hut. That's about it.

Nothing near the variety or quality of LA, which I think is truly amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ariann wrote:
quagga wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm always realy annoyed that there's no veggie grill or native foods in san diego. it seems so silly!

I am really surprised to learn this! San Diego is such a big metro area and it seems such an easy jump from LA. I guess San Diego doesn't have Veggie Grill or Native Foods for the same reason Sacramento doesn't...just because.

I have no illusions that Chico will have the likes of either place anytime soon.

My most recent experience of San Diego was that the options were very meager. There was one fast food type place with shakes that was pretty good (don't remember name), also the grungy Mexican place (don't remember name) that has fairly good options. Saw a Loving Hut. That's about it.

There is some good stuff in SD vegan-food wise! Check out the thread in the Square on it ('Stay Classy San Diego'). I find that SD has a lot of restaurants that are super vegan-friendly (as opposed to strictly vegan), which is appealing to me with an omni partner. I think I know the grungy place, I had potato enchilidas and they were amazeballs. The Local Habit has fantastic craft beer, and also a really good vegan menu - they make their own vegan cheese for pastas and pizza. Super good.

Also, I heard a rumour that they were opening up a Native Foods in San Diego soon! (literally, a rumour. I overheard someone talking about it)

I have to say, Native foods is one good place to eat. I am happy that they are getting bigger and opening up more locations nation-wide. The owner/chef is super nice and is very caring about animals and AR stuff too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
Yeah, sorry, a chain around freaking Portland isn't mainstream.

Veganism may be mainstream in Portland though. QED drive-through indicates mainstream.

Once vegan food is available in drive-thrus through the country, I'd consider veganism mainstream for the US.

Reading this thread has been hilarious for me.

Tofulish: Vegan isn't mainstream because fast-food.

Lots of other people: But if you get this *non-vegan thing* modified, it might be! As long as they make it right, and don't change the ingredients and.....

Are we just so used to contorting ourselves around eating out like sleepy vegans on a bed full of puppies that we really can't fathom "I'll have the #5" is a reasonable expectation? Are the responders just quibbling to be contentious? Am I just being contentious?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I totally lost interest upon realizing that everyone posting in this thread isn't rich, thin, golden-haired with luminous-glowing skin. Farting rainbows would have been a plus.

But seriously, I think some promising options are slowly opening up around the country. I can even get Daiya, tempeh, and vegenaise in one tiny restaurant nearby, and Mellow Mushroom has vegan options (and the world's worst service, but that's another thing). Granted, those aren't drive-thrus, but I'm thinking a veggie drive-thru has opened in Asheville recently. Maybe? Anyway, the revolution is coming, very, very slowly. Until then, Viva Taco Bell!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks Squeak! And fixed :)

Squeak wrote:
Tofulish: Vegan isn't mainstream because drive-thru.

I don't know if anyone is being contentious as much as trying to be helpful/proving that there is vegan food in drive throughs.

In addition to your very good points, I can barely get fast-food people to understand a simple order (not their fault - its loud in the kitchen, the microphones etc are faulty and staticky and they are very busy). So yelling "I'll have the number 5 just leave off the cheese and the chicken, and please put avocado on instead and add hot sauce instead of this other sauce that is not vegan" is likely to be met by confusion. So instead I just get fries (and pretend that the fryolator isn't full of fish and meat and eggs and dairy crumbs).

As Squeak says, I don't think veganism is mainstream until it is convenient. My issue with veganism isn't that I can't get food, its that food becomes so much more inconvenient. Sure I could carry a powerbar and hummus package with me and thin it out for salad dressing, or figure out how to cobble something out of existing menu items (and hope that the waiter and chef understand (thanks for the awesome veggie pasta that despite a long explanation the chef finished with butter out of habit), or drive 20 minutes to go places with real vegan options or drive home and eat there. Its just not mainstream or convenient.

Yes, options are opening up, but its really not the same thing as veganism really being mainstream.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Chicki wrote:
Ariann wrote:

There is some good stuff in SD vegan-food wise! Check out the thread in the Square on it ('Stay Classy San Diego'). I find that SD has a lot of restaurants that are super vegan-friendly (as opposed to strictly vegan), which is appealing to me with an omni partner. I think I know the grungy place, I had potato enchilidas and they were amazeballs. The Local Habit has fantastic craft beer, and also a really good vegan menu - they make their own vegan cheese for pastas and pizza. Super good.

Also, I heard a rumour that they were opening up a Native Foods in San Diego soon! (literally, a rumour. I overheard someone talking about it)

I have to say, Native foods is one good place to eat. I am happy that they are getting bigger and opening up more locations nation-wide. The owner/chef is super nice and is very caring about animals and AR stuff too.

This is all good to know. I think the SD vegan options are a lot better hidden than the LA ones. And yes to potato enchiladas. Surprisingly my husband was not a fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Yes, options are opening up, but its really not the same thing as veganism really being mainstream.

It is not at all the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Mainstream would mean I could ge a vegan meal on a plan. Not just an entre but a full meal.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've gotten a bunch of vegan meals on planes!!!! Continental used to have a slamming vegan meal, complete with giant vegan cookie from Alternative Baking Company.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Last time I flew Continental, they told me that if I wanted a vegan sandwich, I should just take the meat from between the bread.... Maybe longer routes have better options, but I won't soon forget how crepe they were on the NJ-ATL route.

International flights are generally pretty good, in my experience. Austrian made me a yummy meal.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Lufthansa has made me a good meal, too.

Did you reserve a vegan meal in advance on Continental? I'm surprised they had any food at all NJ-ATL. I've had the good meals EWR-LA/SD, but now they don't serve food on those flights anymore (you can buy stuff, but the good meals were back when they served food "for free" and regularly).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 am 
Huffs Nooch

No matter what airline I've flown , AiR Canada , Delta ,British Airways, KLM , I'll request a vegan meal and the entre will be fine but it'll be served with non-vegan margarine , non-vegan salad dressing and the desserts and snacks will usually be not vegan too. I think last time I flew KLM , the vegan meal came with a wrapped mini block of cheese.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think the whole point of the article is that veganism has gone mainstream in places that readers of the NYT care about:

http://purveyors-of-truth.blogspot.com/ ... types.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I read the NYT, and veganism isn't mainstream in my area (Northern NJ).

And ellaguru, yes, that is my experience too. Even the best airline meal still has to be scrutinized for dairy in the margarine etc.

Veganism would be mainstream if we didn't have to double and triple check. If you said "I'm getting the vegan #5" and no alterations were needed, no letters to the company asking if ingredients (like lactic acid, stearic acid or L-cystine) are plant derived, no paying extra for soy, no explanations. Just a simple transaction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:55 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Or even if items that are available all over the country used the word vegan on their labels. Sometimes I get inpatient when people call veganism difficult, but it's easy to forget that a shiitake ton of convenience foods that I eat - I only found out they were vegan from other vegans on the Internet. And that I only know somethingd vegan because i researched it before. Of course I always read labels but if I just stepped into a store with no knowledge of where to start or no knowledge of what x ingredient is...I'd probably be lost and hungry and give up on it quick.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

Chicki wrote:
I suppose we do have it pretty good in Southern California. I travel a lot, but I find most big cities are pretty accomodating (except for Vegas. Stupid vegas. Not all vegans can afford the Wynn)

Just wanted you to know that there's an incredible, small vegan restaurant in Vegas off the strip called Pura Vida. The food is AMAZING, in fact, I am tempted to drive 4 hours from LA to Vegas just for that food, I'm craving it so bad. The restaurant is fairly new and pretty small so I just want you PPK'ers know that there is a great restaurant to go to when you're in Vegas. Plus, since they're new they could use the support. We got our vegan red velvet and chocolate butter cream cupcakes for our wedding from there last year. They also make hazelnut milk, it's so good with the desserts.

Hey next time you're in LA I'll get some vegan food with you! It is a good time right now for LA vegans, indeed, lots of new places to choose from. Still, I go with Doomies most of the time when I decide to eat out. I love me some comfort food.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:03 pm 

Quote:
no letters to the company asking if ingredients (like lactic acid, stearic acid or L-cystine) are plant derived

lactic acid is always vegan. also i've noticed that quite a bit of food with stearic acid and l-cystine is pareve (vegan).
and if you think vegans are uptight about ingredients...oy vey!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:35 pm 
Semen Strong

unethical_vegan wrote:
pareve (vegan).

pareve doesn't mean vegan. It can contain eggs.

Quote:
Parve (Neutral)—Everything kosher that does not fall under the above two categories. This includes eggs, plants, and kosher fish. Meat and dairy products and their derivatives may not be mixed or eaten together in any amount.

Parve products can be mixed with either meat or dairy. Contrary to popular belief, Parve does not always mean vegan.

http://www.tofutti.com/answer-3.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Pareve does not mean vegan. At the simplest level, fish and eggs are pareve. But worse than that, animal derivatives are considered pareve if they are sufficiently far removed from being flesh or dairy like. Pareve stearic acid and l-cystine can be animal derived. I personally don't research to that level, but I don't blame vegans who do.

I also read the NYT and veganism is definitively not mainstream in much of the area the NYT is widely distributed in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think it's hard for people in some areas of the west to understand what it's like here in the northeast. When I was in CA, I saw TONS of fast food chains- some I had never heard of before, some I had heard of online, some I thought were made up. Here in the northeast, our chains are usually McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, KFC, Subway and Wendy's. That's about it. If you happen to live near an actual city then you might have a Chipotle or something like that but again, that's only if you live near a city usually.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

The Omaha Whole Foods has only one vegan muffin. Only one vegan muffin!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
unethical_vegan wrote:
pareve (vegan).

pareve doesn't mean vegan. It can contain eggs.

Thanks...I did not know this. Although I guess I did know that kosher bagels can have egg wash.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

IsaChandra wrote:
The Omaha Whole Foods has only one vegan muffin. Only one vegan muffin!

hehe This reminds me...I remember listening to an episode of Our Hen House (podcast until recently based in NYC) and Jasmine was saying how annoying it was that the bar (!) they went to didn't have vegan cheese (!) for their pizzas. I will wait over here for the day when most places have one menu item that is automatically vegan and don't put cheese on every vege dish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh Shiitake wrote:
Chicki wrote:
I suppose we do have it pretty good in Southern California. I travel a lot, but I find most big cities are pretty accomodating (except for Vegas. Stupid vegas. Not all vegans can afford the Wynn)

Just wanted you to know that there's an incredible, small vegan restaurant in Vegas off the strip called Pura Vida. The food is AMAZING, in fact, I am tempted to drive 4 hours from LA to Vegas just for that food, I'm craving it so bad. The restaurant is fairly new and pretty small so I just want you PPK'ers know that there is a great restaurant to go to when you're in Vegas. Plus, since they're new they could use the support. We got our vegan red velvet and chocolate butter cream cupcakes for our wedding from there last year. They also make hazelnut milk, it's so good with the desserts.

Hey next time you're in LA I'll get some vegan food with you! It is a good time right now for LA vegans, indeed, lots of new places to choose from. Still, I go with Doomies most of the time when I decide to eat out. I love me some comfort food.

Ohh, I will check that out next time I am in Vegas! Well in Vegas for personal. Not business. I cant take my clients or coworkers to an off-strip vegan restaurant. haha. There are some ok places on the strip that are vegan friendly, like Mesa Grill.

So "Mainstream" Kind of a weird term. What makes soemthing 'mainstream'? Most people would say that a gluten-free diet is now mainstream right? because there are new products labeled prominently and marketed well. labels, Many restuarants not only offer gluten-free meals, but understand them and can come up with good alternatives. Vegan, not so much. It's better, but not there yet.

I think the title should have been "trendy" not "mainstream".

I live on so-cal and I have glowing (semi-fake) blond tresses. And giant boobs that everyone thinks are fake, and luminous (fake) tan skin. I sit outside of Veggie Grill with all my girlfriends that look the same, drink organic (vegan) pinot grigio, with our little doggies in our expensive giant (vegan) handbags, and watch all the TMZ photogs take our pictures.

ahhhh california. Vegan? Trendy yes. Mainstream no.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

If any of you are ever in London, vegan food is pretty mainstream here. Pizza Hut will happily make your pizza without the cheese, MacDonalds and Burger King both do salads and will do a veggie burger without the mayo. Most of the snacks in the 99p and poundshops are vegan friendly, and we have Holland and Barrett, which is a healthfood type place, on most high streets. Plus Subway, which my brother swears make the best sandwiches in the world, and 'greasy spoons', cafe type places, they usually have something vegan on the menu, falafel or chips or something like that. They don't to health food even for omnis, so it's not for the calorie conscious.

Though, avoid Greggs the bakers like the plague, whenever I go in there and ask for something without the mayo or cheese or dead animal carcass, I get looked at like I'm insane.

Probably posted this in the wrong thread, but I really wanted to share.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next