no, my kid doesn't have either 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
my kid used to have night terrors but they stopped 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
my kid used to have nightmares but they stopped 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
my kid used to have both but they stopped 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Nightmares
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kai seems to get a lot of nightmares. Usually I think they are these 'night terror' things, http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sl ... rors.html# ,
since no amount of comforting helps him and then he stops crying really suddenly and goes instantly back to sleep. Once or twice I think he had a regular nightmare that he actually remembered and was comforted when I came in. I did have a lot of sleepwalking & nightmares as a kid, so that may be why.

In any case, I'm just wondering how often this happens to other kids. Do your kids have a lot of nightmares? Does it worry you?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

From that description, I think my brother had night terrors but it was never diagnosed. He thrashed around, screamed out, and often hit the wall repeatedly in the middle of the night and then would go back to sleep like nothing happened.

My parents didn't do anything about it and he no longer has this problem as an adult. Looks to be pretty rare though, so maybe not?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had a roommate in college who still got night terrors.... It didn't seem to affect her much since she didn't have them too often as a teen or young adult, but man did that scare me the first time she woke up screaming at the top of her lungs at 3 am.

But, anyway, I think Lydia gets regular but fairly infrequent nightmares, but I'm not sure since she isn't really telling me what's wrong when she wakes up upset in the middle of the night. I usually just hold her and rock her, and tell her everything is OK, and she generally falls back asleep pretty fast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 am 
Semen Strong

My kid gets night terrors when she takes Benadryl. Its horrible. I feel so sorry for her.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's strange, Tofulish. Shae has only had night terrors when he has had Benadryl as well. He also sleep walks and has had one seizure that his pediatrician thinks was related to lack of sleep. Silas has night terrors here and there, seems like a bad week and then doesn't happen again for months. So sad and hard to watch. My sister has had night terrors her whole life so I'm pretty used to them.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 am 
Married to the wolfman

Night terrors and nightmares here. The night terrors are when he's super tired or stressed out.

My family has a LOT of sleep disorders (insomniacs and sleep walkers and sleep talkers and sleep eaters) and one of my brothers had night terrors for years. We shared a room at the time and I remember it well, so the first time E had one I was like ah jeez, this.

He occasionally had normal nightmares too, but he actually wakes up from those and wants to talk your ear off about them. Usually seem to be about robots, which is funny because during daylight hours he LOVES robots.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:08 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

coldandsleepy wrote:
He occasionally had normal nightmares too, but he actually wakes up from those and wants to talk your ear off about them. Usually seem to be about robots, which is funny because during daylight hours he LOVES robots.

Yes, same here, too. Or the moon. One time, a robot moon apparently kidnapped me. Ruined normal sleep for days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Impressive boner

Baby Godzilla has started having bad dreams about zombies. I don't believe he's seen any zombie movies but I guess zombie imagery is very popular at the moment, so he may have picked up on it that way. We have to position a toy outside his bedroom door to act as a sentinel against zombies.

I used to have recurring nightmares as a child and night terrors in my late teens/early 20s, which I gather is quite late. They all seemed to be stress and exhaustion based. I scared the crepe out of my ex husband one night in Las Vegas after I'd half woken and stumbled to the bathroom, only to start screaming once I was on the toilet! I went straight back to sleep in bed afterward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

this thread is oddly timely for us because for about a month, Dahlia was doing this thing where she'd wake up crying hysterically after being asleep for roughly an hour at night. It was kinda stressful because I felt SO BAD for her but she never did tell us what the problem was...H or I would go in and hold her and comfort her but she never managed to articulate why she was crying. I assumed it was some kind of night terror or possibly even a bad dream, but I don't know. She'd usually calm down after a minute and ask to be taken to the bathroom but that's about it - I seriously doubt she was freaking out that bad just because she had to pee, but who knows...I just noticed last night that she hadn't done it in a few days, so I think it's over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well at least he's not alone, that's a relief. I didn't notice that they were related to when he was extra tired or stress, I thought they were pretty random but maybe it was something like that. I will have to think about it next time it happens. Luckily he hasn't had one since I posted.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Has anyone dealt with night terrors in a young baby? Sven is 10 months and has been waking up a couple times a night screaming the past few days. His eyes are open, but he doesn't really seem 'awake' and is totally unresponsive to us and our attempts to calm him. Eventually he just falls right back asleep. In the morning and all throughout the day he seems to be in totally great spirits.

It's really freaking us out. I'm hoping to get into the pediatrician tomorrow to make sure there isn't something else the matter, but I'm wondering before we go if it's even possible for babies to have night terrors (or possible to tell if they are having them when they are pre-verbal). I had night terrors for a long time as a kid so I guess wouldn't be totally out of the blue.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]