| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, why are you vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 am 
Saggy Butt

I was stuck in a car with too long to think, I didn't even know 'vegan' was a thing at the time.

When I got home I did some research and found out that it was something you could actually do, and that there were a whole lot more reasons to do so that I hadn't even thought of.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 am 
Inflexitarian

When I got to choose for the first time in my life completely what I wanted to eat, I thought it was silly to eat animals. For a lack of a better way of putting it; animals have always been there for me. So eating them makes no sense.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:07 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I went vegetarian at 9 after an unsatisfactory answer to "Dad, why do we eat cows but not dogs? Is it cause one's cuter than the other?".

At 14 I gave up eggs after making the connection between my eggs and a chicken's eggs while learning about human reproduction--this lead to a funny conversation just the other day when my dad told me such and such restaurant had a vegetarian omelet "that's not vegetarian! Come on!" "Er, Dad, just cause I didn't eat eggs as a vegetarian doesn't mean others don't..."

When I was 20 I went to visit a vegetarian cousin who was doing a one-month vegan challenge. Somehow this was the first time I'd encountered the idea of veganism--or the first time it really penetrated my consciousness, at least. So I ate vegan with her while trying to quiet the little voice in the back of my head telling me I had some research to do. I continued trying to ignore that voice for a few more months, until I watched some kind of Meet Your Milk video and went "oh crepe." So I went vegan....for about three days, then decided I couldn't deal with the fact that I'd never eat cheese-filled tortollini in four cheese sauce again and ordered it from my favourite pasta place (that has HUGE portions) and proceeded to eat it for the next three days. Ah well. Veganism didn't work.

But that god-damned voice wouldn't quit. So I went vegan again, kind of. I would eat things that theoretically could be vegan and since I didn't know for sure that they weren't I figured I was fine. That lasted for about a week, until I looked down at work (Starbucks) and realized I was drinking a very unvegan frappuccino. So I went back to my old dairy eating ways. A month or so later I went to Whole Foods and bought a bunch of cheese. The next day I realized I just couldn't do it anymore. I decided I'd do a one-month vegan challenge with the understanding that if it wasn't for me I could pick back up with cheese at the end of the month. Needless to say, my mother was not psyched about the three or so blocks of cheese I'd just bought and would now not be eating...

It's been five-plus years now and there's no looking back.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Background: I was a teen in the 90's, when veganism was really hot among us lefties. I only went almost-vegetarian (ate fish when my parents cooked it) and only stayed that way for a couple of years. Continued to eat vegetarian most days of the week.

Now (at 32) a few things happened at about the same time. We had a class about cardiovascular disease, and I thought "I must quit eating cheese five times a day!" and decided to try more recipes from the Veganomicon. Looking for recipes for sandwich spreads, I found this forum, and was exposed to all the chummy Vegan Propaganda. I also met an old school friend who has been vegan since we were 18, and is doing fine, which made me think "If E can do it, anyone can!". Then I read Eating Animals, and that made me think I don't have to have all the answers before I go vegan. I don't really have a fully formed opinion on animal testing (for medicine), or the "worth" of animals vs humans etc - but maybe I don't have to? Right now, it's enough that I don't want to hurt animals just because they're tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amonik wrote:
Then I read Eating Animals, and that made me think I don't have to have all the answers before I go vegan. I don't really have a fully formed opinion on animal testing (for medicine), or the "worth" of animals vs humans etc - but maybe I don't have to? Right now, it's enough that I don't want to hurt animals just because they're tasty.

Yes, this. For some reason I thought I needed a fully formed philosophy before making a change, and then I realised that I don't. It's just better to have my sandwich without suffering, rather than with. It's not a big choice, just lots of small ones.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I went vegetarian at 6 or 7... pretty much as soon as I realised that meat was animals, and I loved animals and did not want to eat them.

I didn't really understand the arguments behind veganism until I was 18 or 19, and my then-boyfriend (who was an omni, strangely....) was all like, don't you know that eggs and dairy are cruel? You should be vegan. And I was like OH! And I was for a few months. But I was working really long hours and didn't have time to cook anything, and I didn't buy any vegan cookbooks, or even look up recipes online so I ended up eating very little. I was also dealing with some ED related issues at the time, so it really wasn't very healthy for me, so I went back to being ovo-lacto veg.

Then, a few years later I was in a better place with a lot of things, and I was talking with some vegan dude online after I reviewed his band or something.... and it kind of clicked that people do become and stay vegan, and there are lots of yummy vegan foods out there, so I can still eat properly and be vegan. So I decided to go vegan there and then, and never looked back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This ad made me stop procrastinating and become a vegan already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pva5JjCDKXw

Why do cows give us so much milk? Well, of course, because of marmots massaging them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 am 

Cgvegan wrote:
amonik wrote:
Then I read Eating Animals, and that made me think I don't have to have all the answers before I go vegan. I don't really have a fully formed opinion on animal testing (for medicine), or the "worth" of animals vs humans etc - but maybe I don't have to? Right now, it's enough that I don't want to hurt animals just because they're tasty.

Yes, this. For some reason I thought I needed a fully formed philosophy before making a change, and then I realised that I don't. It's just better to have my sandwich without suffering, rather than with. It's not a big choice, just lots of small ones.

This is the place I want to get to. I think I'm still stuck in believing I have to have all the answers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 am 
WRETCHED

I wanted to incorporate more veggies into my diet so I bought Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I'm an everyone after all. Then I bought Vegan with a Vengeance. I had no intent on becoming vegetarian or vegan. I slowly started cutting meat out of my diet (and increasing cheese). I was eating meat twice a week or so. Then I picked up The China Diet and Eat to Live. The thing that got me to thinking I could try eating vegan was in Eat to Live where he says just try it for 6 weeks or so.

I was returning from a business trip in Texas where a bunch of guys who loved meat picked our restaurants and there were often little to no vegetarian choices. I was so tired of meat after that trip that on the flight home, I decided I'd try to be vegan for a few weeks. It has been 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

j-dub wrote:
At 14 I gave up eggs after making the connection between my eggs and a chicken's eggs while learning about human reproduction--this lead to a funny conversation just the other day when my dad told me such and such restaurant had a vegetarian omelet "that's not vegetarian! Come on!" "Er, Dad, just cause I didn't eat eggs as a vegetarian doesn't mean others don't..."
Interestingly, this is cultural. I think Russian vegetarianism typically excludes egg (a fertilized egg is a proto-animal, after all), and most Indian vegetarians do not eat eggs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I work in biotechnology; my company has a bunch of cancer treatments in clinical trials. We test on animals and I don't see a way around it, and I think that developing better drugs is a worthwhile goal. For my job, I had to visit a lab where they do the actual testing. I watched them administer the drugs to rats and monkeys. I will spare you the gory details. I went vegan right after that (I had been vegetarian for about 20 years already, starting because I don't like meat) because I don't want my everyday personal choices, which are CHOICES, to contribute to harm/exploitation of animals when animals are already used for other reasons that aren't choices in the same way. I view the lab animals kind of like people in the military - it sucks that anyone has to do it, but it has to be done. (I know that some people would say there's no reason for the military to exist, but I disagree)

I've never talked to anyone about this who would rather shut down the industry than use animals, but I know they're out there. If you are one of them, I am open to persuasion!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well, I was 15 and had been an activist at this youth house/squat/social centre thing for a few years. I decided to go vegetarian when I was 12, but when I started doing activist work I met a lot of vegans.. And for a few years I did a vegan soup kitchen and then I decided to go vegan after a few years of being a mostly vegan vegetarian. The transformation was gradual in some way I guess, but it was also sort of an impulse decision where I went vegan from one day to the next during a music festival. It's been 9 years next July.

eta: My reasons for going vegan were definitely ethical, but by now I think it's as much a matter of habit and self-identification as it is about ethics. I would feel so out of place not being vegan, and I don't really think about it anymore. It's just the way my life is, and I can't imagine it being any different. Even if I suddenly started hating animals or finding animal abuse okay (not that I could see that ever happening), I am pretty sure I'd still be eating vegan food only.
Also, non vegan food seems kind of gross to me. Not "I can't sit at this table because you're eating bacon"-gross, but I just really really don't want to eat it.

And, you know, it's forking horrible with all of the animal abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I came across an article somewhere that was telling how a couple was sent to prison because they let their baby die by feeding him only apple juice and soy milk because they were vegan. I had never heard the term, so I did some research, concluded theose parents were crazy, and decided that being vegan was actually something that made sense. So I read "Becoming vegan", got a couple of cookbooks, and decided to give it a try. It was mainly about all the health reasons, the animals came much later, mainly after watching Earthlings.
The try worked and I decided to continue, it has been now more than 5 years.

It's funny becuase my dad has been vegetarian for the last 20 years or so, and it never ever occurred to me to go vegetarian. So I went vegan overnight instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I started to develop these weird red dots on my body; after visiting a dermatologist, a medical dermatologist, and my PCP - no one could figure out the cause. So I went to a naturopath. While she didn't know what it was either, she thought I might have some sort of food allergy and suggested cutting meat/dairy out of my diet for a month to see what happens. While the dots didn't go away, I noticed a 100% improvement in how I felt. That prompted me to be vegan, as well as my father's side of the family (all 10 of them!) having Type II diabetes and not wanting to end up like them myself. I then started educating myself about the ethical side of being vegan and it cemented that I could never go back to an omni diet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Isa was like, "You should go vegan, stupid," and I was all, "God, you are so mean."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I read an article about the environmental impacts of animal agriculture. Blew my mind. Then a few months later I saw an episode of No Reservations where these rancher jerkoffs castrate a baby cow. Done. I can't see how anyone can justify such barbarism.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is an interesting question that im not sure i know the answer to.
as far as i can remember i always LOVED animals. i NEVER played with dolls as a child. i hated baby dolls and cabbage patch kids, etc (i did like Barbie) and i always preferred stuffed animals.
i always wanted a houseful of pets which i did not have growing up (we had a dog when i was really young and then i also had a hamster at some point) now i currently have 5 pets (down from my all time high of 6 ;-) )

im not entirely sure when the idea that eating them was bad entered my consciousness but probably sometime in my teens. i was still living at home so it wasnt really an option.
i do remember however after i got my driver's license i hit some largish animal that i think was a woodchuck or a ground hog and it was like a slow mo horror picture and i heard its skull crunch under my tire and i was hysterical. i wouldnt eat meat for days.
maybe around that time i stopped eating beef and pork for the most part. it just started to gross me out.
when i went to college i ate chicken for probably the first month i was there. then i very clearly remember sometime around my 19th birthday (early october) i was on the field hockey team and we were at an away game which meant we would go to a mall after and get something for dinner. i vividly remember getting chicken nuggets and thinking they were so disgusting i wanted to vomit and i never (purposely) ate meat again. still did lacto-ovo and many years later i caved and started eating fish occasionally. i did have one turkey sandwich on a plane after a 14 hour delay and a mild mental breakdown on my part (hahahaaa)
i wanted to be a vegan for a long time starting some time in my mid to late 20s and tried a couple times and failed.
around the age of 25ish my body stopped being able to handle dairy but i still didnt make the jump.
it wasnt severe lactose intolerance so i could still eat a little and not get super sick or eat like pizza and just suffer for a day. but i think it made me WANT to be a vegan more
i had very severe sleep apnea and basically if its untreated or not treated well you are like a living zombie. i couldnt make any decisions for myself or plan anything. basically i just could get through the day and that was about it.
finally i decided to have major surgery to correct the sleep apnea which basically involved rearranging my face by cutting my jaw off and moving it forward and a whole bunch of other shiitake.
so two months after having crazy surgery right on i think 1/2/11 i said "f this" and cut all dairy and eggs and whatever else animal related out of my diet.
i never looked back. i had a few slip ups with dairy products but i think the longer i stay vegan the more and more horrifying i feel ANY animal product is. being lactose intolerant helps cause let's face it cheese pizza is delicious.

the more i learn about veganism the more i feel it's the best thing ever. healthwise, eco-wise, and of course animal welfare wise.
im extremely proud of my decision because i feel like it can be hard to STAY vegan. we dont live in a vegan vacuum and we all have those experiences of being isolated or feeling not part of the general group or being picked on, or being somewhere and not having adequate food to eat, etc.

another thing im really proud of is i have "turned" 2 people to vegetarianism since becoming vegan. i was vegetarian for 15 years before becoming vegan and no one ever wanted to join me but since becoming vegan both my mom and my aunt have become vegetarian and my omni husband has cut beef and pork products completely out of his diet and has cut back on poultry. i dont preach to people either (ok maybe my husband) i just give them info if they request it or talk about in sort of a conversational way rather than a preachy way.

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm positive that I've answered this question on the forum before, but here goes.
T. is vegan and has been for 16 years, so longer than I've known him. I was not vegan for the first 7 years of our relationship. I was of the "I'm Hungarian, I need to eat meat!" super annoying camp. The truth is, I was afraid of what he knew, and acted out when the subject came up, because I was very defensive about the fact that I knew he was doing what I should be doing.

One afternoon, I looked up some PETA videos. I dunno why, but I did. And it changed my world. I cried and cried and pleaded to my cat Gershwin, and told him I'd never eat animals again.

That stuck for 2 years, and then in 2010, I went back to eating meat. It was a combination of some intense self-loathing (I thought I didn't deserve to be vegan...I guess it really sunk in all the times my mother told me to get off my high horse and that I think I'm "so special" for being vegan) and feeling beaten down and discouraged in a world that won't stop consuming animals. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, you know?

That period lasted for about 4 or 5 months, I got better mentally and realized that being vegan is one of the best things I've done. I went back and haven't looked back since. It's changed my life in the best of ways, and I can't imagine ever being any other way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

mumbles wrote:
Isa was like, "You should go vegan, stupid," and I was all, "God, you are so mean."

They're unconventional, but my methods WORK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Effective vegan messaging.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and my husband's story was like this:

Me: "I'm going vegan. I don't want to cook meat anymore but I'll cook fish if you want"
Him: "No that is ok, I'll eat meat out if I want to but otherwise I won't"

(I don't remember the timeline on terms of eggs/dairy but we really didn't eat eggs often and few dairy items. I think I just stopped buying them)

3 months later....
Him: "I'm done eating meat out. I like eating vegan."
Me: "Ok"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Here is my short answer, ethics aside.

Vegetarian: Boss was vegetarian. Spiritual beliefs followed the ‘harm none’ way of thinking. Thinking about going veggie. Had been veggie off and on as a child/teen as well. It was falling into place.

TIPPING POINT: Was a bit tipsy, watching an episode of dirty jobs about cows or something, and I thought they looked sad. Stopped eating meat that very minute.

Vegan: had been veggie for a couple of years, thinking about vegan. Getting tired of crasshole co-workers & family trying to make me feel like a hypocrite by being vegetarian instead of vegan. I think they were trying to get me to go the other way…go back to eating meat. Didn’t work. Made me realize that I was a bit of a hypocrite...dairy + eggs hurts animals too!

TIPPING POINT: Skinny bisque. I know some people just detest this book, but I loved it. Really opened my eyes. I liked the language in the book, right up my alley. Also, I thought of it as a CHALLANGE. did the 30 day thing. 2 weeks in I was miserable. By week 6 I had forgotten about the 'challenge' and was fully vegan (dietary)

Honestly, it took another couple of years to go vegan to include clothing, accessories etc. That was a LOT harder than the food for me. Still a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm 

Anek wrote:
I came across an article somewhere that was telling how a couple was sent to prison because they let their baby die by feeding him only apple juice and soy milk because they were vegan. I had never heard the term, so I did some research, concluded theose parents were crazy, and decided that being vegan was actually something that made sense.

Haha, it's so crazy that that story of all things brought you to veganism. I remember when it happened and it turned 99% of the people off veganism forever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ScooterDiva wrote:
I started to develop these weird red dots on my body; after visiting a dermatologist, a medical dermatologist, and my PCP - no one could figure out the cause. So I went to a naturopath. While she didn't know what it was either, she thought I might have some sort of food allergy and suggested cutting meat/dairy out of my diet for a month to see what happens. While the dots didn't go away, I noticed a 100% improvement in how I felt. That prompted me to be vegan, as well as my father's side of the family (all 10 of them!) having Type II diabetes and not wanting to end up like them myself. I then started educating myself about the ethical side of being vegan and it cemented that I could never go back to an omni diet.

Did you ever figure out the bumps??

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Nope. The medical dermatologist took biopsies that came back inconclusive; he prescribed me cortisone cream and said if they go away with using the cream, not to worry, but if they didnt he would work me up for auto-immune illnesses. I was under a lot of stress at the time and fortunately, the cortisone cream did work. Never found out what caused them or what they were, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next