| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flea/Tick Prevention
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ugh, I am so upset and annoyed right now. I took Kayla to the vet this morning for a checkup and to see about the flea possibility. And I just called to check on her since I had to leave her for the day because they were booked three weeks out and I didn't want to wait. They said she was so badly infested that they had to give her the Revolution treatment right away!

How is that even possible? We haven't seen one flea in our house or on any of the cats and I've been checking them daily since we figured it out a few days ago. I don't know if the vet is overreacting or not. But I'm totally freaked out at this point.

I am getting revolution for all of the kitties and I'm going to treat them tonight. But It's going to take me a while to get the whole house cleaned up.

Should I have the house bombed?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wouldn't -- you'd be exposing all sorts of surfaces to pesticide, which I feel is unsafe. I would keep up with the Revolution for a number of months and vacuum everything as much as you can, tossing the vacuum bags frequently.

Be sure to pull the cushions off the sofa and vacuum under there. And under and behind furniture. Fleas like crevices. Vacuum where the cats sleep really well, and if you can, start placing towels or washable cat beds in those places--then pull and launder those towels/beds as often as you can (you can also try tossing those beds/blankets into a hot dryer and tumble them for a while).

Good luck! Fleas are the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We just came from the vet. And the vet tech said she had to comb Kayla twice in able to find 1 flea! But that she had flea dirt on her. Big difference! I was thinking my poor cat was crawling with fleas.

We are lucky in that we have hardwood floors everywhere. The only part of our house with carpet is half of our basemnt which is finished. So hopefully it wont be too difficult to get rid of them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Back again, in our favorite, itchy, scritchy, twitchy thread. I've been combing my dandruffy cat a lot and noticed flea dirt (but thought it must have been something else). And today, tons of fleas. Ugh ugh ugh.

Gonna Advantage-ify them all and hope that solves the problem ugh ugh ugh.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:53 pm 
Chip Strong

Have been very successful with my Sheltie and mutt on Frontline for years... knock on wood. Have found a few ticks on the Sheltie that were already dead from having bitten him and ingested the stuff, I guess. However, we are not too woodsy around where I live in the burbs, our walks are mainly on paved neighborhood roads, etc, so I know that helps. Maybe switch to Advantix or whatever the other brand is?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh we don't do regular flea/tick treatments. They're expensive and toxic, so we only use them when we have an outbreak and then use them for 3 months until its all under control and then stop.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my pup has fleas. we haven't been doing the usual frontline stuff because he was fine, but now the weather is warmer, he's itchy.
i'm hoping regular pyrethrin shampoo and swapping out bedding will make a difference. it got hard to get the frontline and to be honest the last time i did it there was no difference. [which is really annoying when you're paying almost $50 for each ampoule].
we shall see.....