| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

okay, last night we used our leftover chorizo (we had frozen what was left) and had burritos with the "chorizo" and black beans and some sauteed onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms. OMG it was so good! hubby and i both agreed that, eaten in this manner, the chorizo is just like ground beef. hubby said it was better than ground beef! not sure if hubby will ever go vegan like i do, but he has loved all the stuff i've made so from VWaV!

I've had my eye on making the 3-seed cauliflower dish (sorry I don't remember the exact title offhand) since hubby does like cauliflower. it has cumin seed, mustard seed, fennel seed, cauliflower obviously, and tomatoes among other things. have any of y'all made it?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

bookwormbethie wrote:
okay, last night we used our leftover chorizo (we had frozen what was left) and had burritos with the "chorizo" and black beans and some sauteed onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms. OMG it was so good! hubby and i both agreed that, eaten in this manner, the chorizo is just like ground beef. hubby said it was better than ground beef! not sure if hubby will ever go vegan like i do, but he has loved all the stuff i've made so from VWaV!

I've had my eye on making the 3-seed cauliflower dish (sorry I don't remember the exact title offhand) since hubby does like cauliflower. it has cumin seed, mustard seed, fennel seed, cauliflower obviously, and tomatoes among other things. have any of y'all made it?

Yes, I did long ago...and liked it. Forgot about it until just now. Try it! It was super easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:

Yep. It's delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

awesome, will make that dish soon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That chorizo is fricking amazing! I had it just with a tortilla wrap and it was beautiful. I messed up a bit and only had a tablespoon and a bit of chili powder so I added some paprika along with it. Then I stupidly forgot to add in the crushed seeds. I only remembered when it was time to take out the cinnamon stick so I added them in then and just left it cook for an extra few minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

PugMom wrote:
I made the Veggie Burgers early last week and they were super good. I should have cooked the TVP for a bit longer so they were a bit wet. But the flavor was spot on

Cooked these this evening and I had the same experience with both the wet and the awesome flavour. I ended up adding in more flour and even some bread crumbs to make it work. Next time, I think I will compensate for the amount of juices the mushroom add to the recipe by reducing the stock to make for a dryer mix.

It was really good though!! I topped it off with basil ricotta on the top side and various veggies on the bottom bun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am in love with the curried mango tempeh salad right now. It takes 15 minutes to make and it travels well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Stewed Potatoes and Tofu last night and replaced the potatoes with brussels sprouts and carrots because I wanted to serve it over a baked potato and used one tablespoon of oil rather than three. It was divine! I would like to sub the tofu with soy curls one of these days because I think that would make it even more awesome! I need to use this book way more often than I do!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

LisaPunk wrote:
has anyone made the green goddess pizza?
i just did a quick search of this forum and it didnt come up.

it sounds so yummy but also sounds insanely labor intensive

We make it on my birthday. It's insanely tasty and wonderful, but you have to really want it. If you do put in the work, the results are worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the carrot bisque earlier in the week. It was pretty good. I've had a bit of a cold all week so it was perfect for keeping me going.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I made the carrot bisque earlier in the week. It was pretty good. I've had a bit of a cold all week so it was perfect for keeping me going.

blah, i think i'm getting one right now so i'll need to look into that recipe......

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i've been thinking about finally trying the peanut butter oatmeal cookies, but it took me aback when i realized the recipe calls for two whole cups of sugar. has anyone successfully made these cookies with less?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love the chickpea/broccoli casserole, fronch toast, brooklyn pad thai, chocolate chip cookies, mocha chip muffins. I love this book, it and 'How it all Vegan' were my first two vegan cookbooks but I use VWAV way more now. I sometimes find that not all the ingredients are available where I am but if I can't find them I just substitute them or leave them out, no big deal.

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ETK - the pb oatmeal cookie recipe makes a lot of cookies, if you make them normal sized. So in my opinion the amount of sugar is proportional to the amount of dough and similar to other cookie recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
ETK - the pb oatmeal cookie recipe makes a lot of cookies, if you make them normal sized. So in my opinion the amount of sugar is proportional to the amount of dough and similar to other cookie recipes.

I agree - I've never found them to be overly sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
i've been thinking about finally trying the peanut butter oatmeal cookies, but it took me aback when i realized the recipe calls for two whole cups of sugar. has anyone successfully made these cookies with less?

Trust the amount Isa says. They are amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 am 
Shopped till she dropped

They're so good. i always add chocolate chips. Nom.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i made half a recipe with a few changes: reduced the sugar a bit (1/3 cup of each instead of 1/2), and used sunflower seed butter (Mr Ketchup has a nut allergy). they're really good! will definitely make them and the pumpkin oatmeal cookies again.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yay, glad to hear about 2 new cookie recipes to try. i'm also allergic to all nuts so i'm glad you had success subbing sunflower butter. i've been eyeing the sunflower and soy butters in the grocery store. they are so pricey though. does your mr ketchup have a preference for any particular brand?

i'm making the sparkling ginger cookies after lunch! they are fantastic! i make them a bit bigger than the recipe calls for so they stay soft and chewy rather than firming up like regular ginger snaps. still, small or big, crunchy or soft, they are great both ways!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

A couple of days ago I made the curried tempeh-mango salad, but used chickpeas instead of tempeh. Put it in a wrap with avocado. It was nice, but I think it would be better to make this when mangoes are in season. My mango was a bit meh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 am 
Semen Strong

karichelle wrote:
Has anyone tried making the batter for the pumpkin waffles ahead of time? The night before? Just wondering if it could be done without sacrificing quality. I rarely feel like cooking when I first get up in the morning, and I generally wake up hungry. I could probably throw batter in the waffle iron and put some Tofurky tempeh bacon on the stove, but measuring and mixing is more than I want to do in the morning.

I make double batches of the Oatmeal Raisin ones and freeze the waffles and they warm up wonderfully

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Be careful with pancake/waffle batters. They go off fast. One of worst food illnesses was from day and a half old pancake batter that had been kept in the fridge.

I would cook, freeze, and thaw in the toaster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just made sparkled ginger cookies for a work Christmas thing this week, yummm!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganMeredith wrote:
Just made sparkled ginger cookies for a work Christmas thing this week, yummm!!

they are so amazing, right? they are my new favorite cookie! until my VCIYCJ is ready for pick-up at my library ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just made the corn chowder last night. So fast and easy. It was delicious, and my soup-hating partner really enjoyed it. He asked for me to put it in his lunch tomorrow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next