| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

Would anyone share what they are doing on a fueling / recovery basis (even what do you eat the night before a race or run over 10 miles)?

I am just on day 3 of my vegan experiment and train 5-6 days a week with already established fueling plans....kinda freaking trying to convert.

For reference, I would have had a big bowl of pasta with 2-3 meatballs and sauce the night before my long runs or races. During races I would use a gel at 45 minutes then every thirty after that. After harder workouts or races I would always use hammer recoverite.

What do you guys do?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm 
Dead by dawn

I sort of shared my approach in the triathlon thread, but based on what you wrote above, I'm not really sure what part is freaking you out. Pasta's vegan and you can just swap in a different protein like "meatballs" made from tempeh and/or beans. I don't know for sure about hammer recoveritespecifically because I haven't used hammer products, but there are plenty of vegan-friendly gels, protein powders and electrolyte drinks. In addition to the two books I recommended in the other thread, check out Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Ginny Messina. They are both vegan RDs and it's pretty thorough coverage of vegan nutrition. Then you can just take a look at what you're eating now and make some protein-for-protein swaps (carbs should be a no brainer, right?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks monkey toes, hope you did well in your race today, I was just trying to get a bit more feedback in this thread since it seems more active. I will have to investigate vegan gels and recovery products.

Dd 32 miles on the bike today on day 3 of the transition and didn't feel any worse for wear. Am eating WAY more bread since I switched, I need to get that in check, I will start gaining weight....bread just seems easy to get when you are on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh, you'll definitely get more feedback here! I wish the triathlon thread was more hopping, but alas...

It's hard for me to answer on the food front because I've been veg*n for 26 years. I just don't have anything to compare it to, really. Definitely check out the Norris and Messina book; knowing what vegan foods are good sources for specific nutrients should make it easier to make substitutions.

As far as gels go, I like Gu myself. You can try vegan protein powder on the cheap at truenutrition.com.

Edit to add: I have some Hammer gels in my stash (I seem to get a lot of them in swag bags) and they look fine to me, depending on the source of the aminos, which I (personally) am not terribly concerned about.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just planned out my running schedule until May. I want to do the flying pig marathon on May 5 so hopefully I will stay healthy and the winter won't be too harsh.
alice1drland wrote:
Sooo I'm thinking about registering for the Vancouver Marathon? I feel like a spring marathon is the answer to my training woes, since I'm such a wuss during the summer heat and humidity. This one's in May, which will give me plenty of time to train.

I have a really hard time running in the heat/humidity of the summer. Running a spring marathon is always iffy with the weather, though. My first marathon was around Memorial Day one year. My training was all through the winter and then the race day was the first eighty-five degree day of the year. Not fun. But still doable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

monkeytoes wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
Sooo I'm thinking about registering for the Vancouver Marathon? I feel like a spring marathon is the answer to my training woes, since I'm such a wuss during the summer heat and humidity. This one's in May, which will give me plenty of time to train.

Ooh, I didn't even see this. Vancouver is SUCH a fantastic course (I've only run the half) and a really well-organized race. I'd recommend it to anyone. Early May is a bit unpredictable, but the weather this year was stellar.

Ooo, thanks for the feedback! It seemed like it would be a great course. I'd run the half, but I feel like if I'm going to be traveling that far for a race, it should probably be a full marathon. Plus, I'm sure the full's course is beautiful, too.

Butternut wrote:
I have a really hard time running in the heat/humidity of the summer. Running a spring marathon is always iffy with the weather, though. My first marathon was around Memorial Day one year. My training was all through the winter and then the race day was the first eighty-five degree day of the year. Not fun. But still doable.

Good point. Though I'd rather take a chance with one day of abnormal weather than go through months of training with guaranteed brutally elevated core temperature! Hah! I hope I can follow through on this one. Perhaps a plane ticket will motivate me to stay on-track.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 am 
Saggy Butt

Butternut wrote:
I just planned out my running schedule until May.

I did this last week and now I"m kind of freaked about how intense my training schedule is. I'm on vacation until the beginning of Jan then have to jump into week 3 of an 18 week plan where my first run is 23 km.

For fueling: I don't eat any differently the night before a long run or a race than I normally eat. Maybe i'm doing something wrong? I'm not really big on gels but during my last marathon my husband handed me a fruit leather when i passed him and it was a nice change. Probably doesn't give the kick in the pants that a gel gives though. I've tried the Vega recover drink and really liked it but i can't get it here so i just drink a homemade gatorade thing after long runs. I definitely agree with monkeytoes though; no reason to be worried about vegan fueling!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow, so many people doing awesome stuff! Good job everyone! I am especially impressed with everyone even considering a full marathon, because that just seems undoable to me.

I ran my fastest race ever on Thanksgiving. 5 miles in 40:33! I thought I was going to die. Then yesterday I met up with some other internet vegans who are trying to start a running group. Yay! I hope it takes off because I would love to have running buddies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Olives wrote:
So I ran almost 7 miles today, largely unintentionally. I am still super slow, but it felt really good to get out and run for a long time (for me at least). At first I thought I was not totally exhausted, but in fact I am spent.

7 miles is my next target! Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 pm 

You guys are inspiring! Well done everyone.

I was in London at the weekend & went running in Regent's Park. I've never really run anywhere with so many runners (except in a race.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

inceptisol wrote:
Butternut wrote:
I just planned out my running schedule until May.

I did this last week and now I"m kind of freaked about how intense my training schedule is.

I'm pretty much planned out for the next year... I posted my schedule in the triathlon thread but I might as well put it here too since it's part running races and part tris.

My next year looks like this:

Nov 25 Seattle half marathon (C race/training run) [DONE!]
Dec 16 Kirkland "12 K's of Christmas" (ditto)
Jan ? A 10K if I can find one locally (ditto)
Feb 17 Austin marathon (A race, woot!)
May 5 Vancouver half marathon (B or C priority, depending on who I can rope into doing it with me)
mid-June Victoria 70.3 (A race!)
late-July Lake Stevens 70.3 (lousy course, but it's local and Ironman branded, B race)
Aug/Sept A couple of local sprints or Olympics, probs
mid-September Black Diamond 70.3 (maaaaybe... this is the race I DNF'd this year, course is super pretty, would be a B race)
late-Nov Volunteer at Ironman Arizona so I get priority registration for IMAZ2014!
Dec Wonder what the fork I have done to myself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

kilgore trout, thanks for the tip of putting a towel over the display of the treadmill. I did that yesterday, listened to Hannah Georgas and Royal Wood and did five easy miles - my furthest on the treadmill so far. I only looked at the monitor a couple of times when I had to take the towel off to mop myself. I sweat a lot and indoors it is brutal - after 5 miles I was completely soaked.

There are so many great running stories in here, it's fantastic.

I hope everyone stays safe if it's winter where you are. Here's my psa about screw shoes: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm I had trouble finding the screws last year but eventually found them at one of the hardware stores.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:50 pm 

I just ran 4miles that was almost entirely up a hill that was rather intense for me. I picked this route because it took me to my favorite pho joint, where I am fixing to have a huge bowl of soup before heading home.

It's the only plot I could conceive conceived get myself to do hill training.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I either have a stress fracture of the beginning of one in my right foot, and am in a walking boot for the next three weeks atleast. So no running for the next monthish. I am sad :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:09 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
So I either have a stress fracture of the beginning of one in my right foot, and am in a walking boot for the next three weeks atleast. So no running for the next monthish. I am sad :(

Poor you! Hope it heals quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:13 pm 

I finally got round to downloading the Run Keeper app to my phone. I used it when I went on a 4 mile beach run this morning. I found it really motivating & it made me run faster. It was hard work today though as it was SO cold.
I tried on some thermal running tights at the weekend but they were REALLY baggy. Does anyone know if they make close fitting thermal running tights?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 pm 

5-mile run today, not fast but made it! My IT band on my left leg was feeling achy about halfway through. I'll ice it this evening, and the pain was not major, but I'm keeping an eye on it. I've signed up for a 10K on the 16th, so I'm hoping I can make it 'til then.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 pm 
Chip Strong

Today was the snowiest run of the year so far. My the time I was done my eyelashes were crusted with ice! 14km in the bag, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Chickpea wrote:
I tried on some thermal running tights at the weekend but they were REALLY baggy. Does anyone know if they make close fitting thermal running tights?

That's all I wear and they really shouldn't be hard to find. I hate floppy running tights/shorts.

I got mine at MEC (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/GiftIdeas ... womens.jsp) but most running/fitness stores have similar.

I am not sure where you live but I find that this mid-weight tight is good. I have a pair of very light weight wind pants that I wear on top when it is coldest here (windchill to -30 C), and also wear wind pants + thermal underwear or lightweight fleece tights on other days. I had a pair of heavier weight tights but found them too warm but not wind-proof enough. Around here the problem in winter is more likely to be wind than cold, so the wind pants plus insulating layer are my best solution. Here is the type I have: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WomensClo ... womens.jsp

In sock news - I forgot my running socks when I went to the sportsplex yesterday so decided, frig it, I am not going home to get socks so I ran without socks. Bad idea, now have blisters. It didn't hurt while I was on the treadmill, only when I got in the pool. Usually I only wear Wright socks and never get blisters (just have a callous on my left second toe).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, i'm back running again. thank goodness. it's actually been about a month but i wasn't up to my old distance (only 5k but 5-8 is the distance I like).
feeling human again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm 

torque wrote:
yeah, i'm back running again. thank goodness. it's actually been about a month but i wasn't up to my old distance (only 5k but 5-8 is the distance I like).
feeling human again!

That's great news Torque.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm 

Thanks Arisaig! I'm in the UK but think maybe I'm a bit of a wimp. I really seem to feel the cold.
I ran with 2 friends tonight. My hands were freezing after we finished, much colder than my friends & I was the only one with gloves on! I find I'm okay for about 3 miles & then my legs seem to want to stop even though they are not tired. Then I realize it is because they are so cold they don't want to work anymore!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 pm 

Finished a Hot Chocolate (though did not assume it was vegan and had none, waaah) 10K on Roosevelt Island this morning. It went well, despite the drizzly weather and modified course due to Sandy damage. But god... my IT band is not my friend right now. This really sucks. I need to be diligent about icing and stretching, I guess.

Monkeytoes, if I'm approved for the time off, I may spring for the Vancouver Half Marathon instead of the full. My work schedule has been so insane that I really do not envision being able to properly train for a full, but a half? Way more likely. So think about it, if you're still considering running that one!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm 

Due to depression rearing its ugly head, I haven't gone for a run since August. I'm starting up again tomorrow but I want new shoes. I've done barefoot running but I feel like my feet are just like pancakes slapping against the ground. I got 99 problems and they are all running shoe related. I also want to get some really obnoxiously bright tights to wear to combat the depression.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Due to depression rearing its ugly head, I haven't gone for a run since August. I'm starting up again tomorrow but I want new shoes. I've done barefoot running but I feel like my feet are just like pancakes slapping against the ground. I got 99 problems and they are all running shoe related. I also want to get some really obnoxiously bright tights to wear to combat the depression.

If you can find some bright tights (assuming you mean running tights) lemme know where you got them! All the ones I can find are black, perhaps with pink trim at best.

edit: The weather is yucky and I woke up feeling sick, but I'm going to go for a run anyway. Now that I've said it, I have to do it.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 134  Next