| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nasty dawg breathe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have any tips on getting rid of nasty dawg breathe? (breath? i can never spell this word right)
BOTH my dogs have nasty breathe.

my husband used to brush their teeth on and off. not in any real reliable manner. then in early June one of the dogs had an abscessed toof that resulted from a chip that we had had removed several years prior (we also had had his teeth professionally cleaned at that point)
so in the midst of taking care of his abscessed toof (which had to be removed and it was one of the BIG ones) he had a full set of dental xrays and a professional cleaning.
other than some mild gingivitis or tartar or something his teeth were fine. ever since he was healed enough from the extraction to have his teeth brushed my husband has been brushing both dog's teeth almost nightly. i would say they get their teeth brushed 5-6 nights a week.

they eat hard kibble and i believe that is supposed to help with keeping their teeth clean. right now they dont really have any chew toys.
when we went to the dental vet we realized the chew toys we had were on the "bad" list of things that crack teeth so we threw them out. im just realizing now we never replaced them. they aren't really chewers. they are both older dogs and will only occasionally play with toys or chew on stuff so when we threw the chew toys out we didnt really think to replace them.

this particular dog has his annual vet visit next week so i will ask them but im having a hard time believing it's a tooth or mouth issue when he just had major dental work done not even 6 months ago.

the other dog i dont even know what to do about. his teeth arent horrible but they definitely need a cleaning. problem is he is TERRIFIED of the vet and we cant crate him or put him in a kennel (found that out the hard way) and the vet told us previously what they do on days they do cleanings is we bring the dog in early and they get put in a kennel for a few hours until they are ready to put them under for the cleaning. i cant do this with this dog. he has such severe issues with the vet and fear of being abandoned (we think something happened that involved a vet's office when he was abandoned by his previous family) that if i bring him to a vet office and he gets put into a kennel for a few hours he literally will have a heart attack and die or he will like destroy the entire office freaking out.

im tired of breathing their stanky dawg breathe

Post subject: Re: nasty dawg breathe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Brushing is really helpful, so definitely keep up with that. There are also dog breath sprays. (I had some for Sable when she went through her poop-eating phase!) These two companies say their products are cruelty-free:
Dog Smog Remedy
Tropiclean Fresh Breath

There is also Leba III, which I have never used (it is pricey!), but I have heard good things about it reducing plaque and keeping teeth clean.

But if one of your dogs really does need a cleaning, I would talk to your vet. Maybe they could let you bring him in right before the cleaning and sedate him while you are there with him, and then call you as soon as he starts to wake up (we have had to do this with some shelter dogs). Periodontal disease if left untreated can cause serious problems like kidney damage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Also, I have seen these chews at a few stores recently: http://www.entirelypets.com/zukesbones.html. The red ones have carmine, but the other two (carrot and apple, I think) look possibly vegan. They have unspecified "natural flavor", so I'm not sure, but everything else looks okay. So anyone looking for dental chews might want to check them out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

orabrush is coming out with a dog version. (they had a kickstarter, and we haven't received our set yet, but i can't wait.) sadie's breath is atrocious! it never used to be this way. it's like she's an anal gland gourmand! *gag*

i keep wanting to make treats for her with parsley, but i keep forgetting.

sadie tried those zukes bones. oh man, they weren't so much of a dental chew as it was a plain old snack. (so pittie parents... you might want to save your cash)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks ill check out the link.

when we take the first dog to the vet for his checkup next week im going to ask the vet about the 2nd dog and his issues. cause like you said i know bad breathe can be a sign of underlying issues.
i was hoping they would do something like you suggested. that i cold drop him off right before he needed to be anesthesized.

ugh poor thing is so dang fearful. he's made major strides in other areas but i cant bring him to the vet without a major meltdown. we even have to muzzle him because his level of fear is so bad. he's never tried to bite anyone but he's so scared i feel like it's only a split second away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

supercarrot wrote:

sadie tried those zukes bones. oh man, they weren't so much of a dental chew as it was a plain old snack. (so pittie parents... you might want to save your cash)

I know so many pitties like that. Their people will buy them the biggest chew bones or toughest toys, and they're just like "Chomp, chomp, gulp! Done!"

I just remembered that V-Dog dogfood has new "breathbone" chews now. I think I'll have to try them out, because I was giving Tegan a Sam's Yam to chew in the morning (She isn't a strong chewer, so one yam keeps her occupied for over 5 minutes), but they give her the nastiest fluorescent orange poops! So I need to find an alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think my friends' pitties even destroyed the black kongs!
mega chew!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am 

you know those tiger tested tuffy toys? yeah... not so much. (although she did break a tooth on one. one of her front teeth when she was ripping it. we usually keep most toys for supervised use, but i guess we weren't supervising her well enough. found the front of the tooth later. the doc looked at it, and said it's fine. most of the tooth is still there, and she wasn't exhibiting any pain, nor did she seem to notice anything happened.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

make sure you keep an eye on the tooth.
Willy (the first dog) had at some point splintered a small chunk of one of his big teeth and it seemed fine and when we first took him for his first dental cleaning they removed the chunk that was splintered and i think polished around it to make it more flat and said it was fine and there was nothing to worry about but that was the exact tooth that ended up with an abscess several years later. could totally have been a coincidence but i cant help but think the chip that came out had something to do with it.

i remember when my friends got their first pittie/lab and he was just a pup we brought him just a regular stuffy toy from Petco that cost like $3. yeah he annihilated that thing in about 2 mins. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:56 pm 

we'll keep an eye on it. luckily, she snapped it clean off. what was left was nice and flat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Can you maybe speak to your vet about an oral sedative that you can give before bringing him to the vet? Or even getting a mobile vet come and sedate him before you bring him in for a cleaning or other diagnostics?

My one chihuahua has bad breath and is due for a dental. But the other one only had really severe breath when she went into massive kidney failure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I think a lot of it can be internal, not just from the mouth. Chihuahuas seem to be the worst. My dog's breath literally smells like sewage that has been baking in the hot sun on a humid day sprinkled with dead fish. Even right after a professional cleaning. It's a damn good thing she's cute.

Vet can't find anything wrong with her but says its common for chis.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
I think a lot of it can be internal, not just from the mouth. Chihuahuas seem to be the worst. My dog's breath literally smells like sewage that has been baking in the hot sun on a humid day sprinkled with dead fish. Even right after a professional cleaning. It's a damn good thing she's cute.

Vet can't find anything wrong with her but says its common for chis.

Gizmo has the same thing! I love her so much and would never turn away her kisses but sometimes i wanna gag!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Gizmo has the same thing! I love her so much and would never turn away her kisses but sometimes i wanna gag!

Is that Gizmo in your avatar? So cute!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

it is! thank you! :)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I saw this the other day! Developed by the same guy who developed the tongue scraper for people. Neat idea.