| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 311  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats, Mitten! I didn't know! Hope the sickness passes quickly. (Oh, and is it too soon to look forward to pictures of Walter holding newbaby?!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Biodancer- from my experience of having a lot of non stress tests, there are all sorts of reasons why the fetus's heartbeat might go lower (it's in a position that's pushing on it's eyeballs for example) and doctors think that probably the fetus's heart beat goes lower sometimes when you are just going about doing your thing. But when you are hooked up to the machine and they see it happen, they can't know why they are seeing it and even if you are followed up with hours of perfect non stress test results (as I was) the lowered heartbeat has been recorded and your pregnancy is high risk. Now, my birth became an emergency situation, so maybe my fetus's 20 seconds of lowered heartbeat was actually a real problem, but I don't think so. I think the situation your doctors are describing for you- lots of tests followed by interventions, is likely to result in interventions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

biod...if you ask, they can look at placental health on an ultrasound test. (they might do it every time?).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hi everyone, im back home and have my laptop (didnt bring it on our thanksgiving trip) and i was curious to search for the vegetarian/vegan false positive early risk screening link.

im not the best at googling things but it appears that there was a study done in 2003 in Taiwan that concludes the level of one of the proteins measured in the early risk bloodwork is greatly elevated in vegetarians leading to a lot more false positive results and invasive procedures.

here are the links i came across.

first is the link that i got from google. as far as i can tell there is nothing in the body of this other than a reference
http://andevidencelibrary.com/template.cfm?template=guide_summary&key=2536&auth=1

if you search for Down's Syndrome it brings you down to the bottom where the reference links are and here is a blurb of the study. any sciency people might understand it more than me

http://andevidencelibrary.com/worksheet.cfm?worksheet_id=252780&auth=1

then i did find a pdf of the actual study but im unsure of how to link to it.
but if you google "early risk assessment pregnancy false positive vegetarians" it SHOULD be the 3rd one down.
it says pdf in front of it so be warned it will download to your computer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well the cat's out of the bag at work.
my supervisor asked me what happened last week (i think mainly out of concern) and i felt a bit cornered so i was like "f it im gonna have to tell them at some point"
so i went to HR first and then i told my supervisor.
it went better than expected.
i knew HR wouldnt care too much. i mean she was happy for me and understanding of my issues last week, etc but the fact that im leaving doesnt affect her day much (which is totally fine!)
my supervisor was the one i was worried about. i took over a lot of her misc things she was doing so she could concentrate more on the bigger things so i do a lot of work for her.
that and im just generally a good employee that is easy to get along with. so i wasnt sure how it was going to go over that im leaving and not coming back (i said i might be able to do part time which is true!)
and although she doesnt want me to leave she was very upbeat and positive about the "stay at home mom" idea. she thought it was great and the best thing for the baby if you are able to do it. i didnt expect that from her at all. she has no kids and historically has not shown much compassion when people need to leave early or have a kid related emergency.

so it went pretty well.

the thing that sucks is i feel like complete crepe today. the acid reflux is back even though im still taking the prilosec.
ive waivered back and forth all day between feeling ok and feeling like im going to projectile vomit or pass out. im also super duper tired. i think the stress of last week plus traveling for the holiday has caught up with me. i just want to go home and nap. hopefully i make it through the day without puking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:01 pm 
Semen Strong

I was stalking a pregnant PPKers FB page today, just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
And you never will.

OMG, DTBK had the twins, didn't she?! I can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures of the cuties!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I didn't say that. Just that I am stalking pregnant people. Like some sort of crazy weirdo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I am in the wrong thread!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Me too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 am 
***LIES!!!***

More about vegetarians and false positive AFP testing. The study from Taiwan (which apparently looked at lifelong vegetarians) showed that low blood B-12 levels led to elevated serum free beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), which is one of the compounds they look for in the AFP testing. The levels were nearly 30% higher in vegetarians on average, so you could imagine how that would increase "false positives." Take home message - make sure your B-12 status is optimum before you get pregnant and keep it there during pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:24 am 
Semen Strong

That is so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
More about vegetarians and false positive AFP testing. The study from Taiwan (which apparently looked at lifelong vegetarians) showed that low blood B-12 levels led to elevated serum free beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), which is one of the compounds they look for in the AFP testing. The levels were nearly 30% higher in vegetarians on average, so you could imagine how that would increase "false positives." Take home message - make sure your B-12 status is optimum before you get pregnant and keep it there during pregnancy.

ok so that was the B12 connection? i skimmmed part of it but i wont lie i didnt understand most of it and my eyes went cross eyed.
so now i wonder if my b12 is low?
they've taken so much blood from me and have not told me that. i take a b12 pill everyday but maybe there is reknewed light into this whole sublingual vs non-sublingual thing? i dont do the sublingual one.

hmmm....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have another question that im not sure the study addresses but maybe someone smart knows.
the genetic counselor told us that these 4 (i think) proteins they look for are ONLY in your body during pregnancy. so im just curious between the correlation between low b12 and a high pregnancy protein.

maybe it's just one of the mysteries of the body. i dont understand this kind of stuff but at the same time i find it fascinating. like why does it do that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm not sure of the connection between B-12 and beta-human HCG (which yes, should only be in your body during pregnancy, it's made by the pregnancy; if it's there at other times it may be a sign of cancer), but B-12 does all kinds of things in the body. Low B-12 can also lead to higher homocystein levels, which increases heart disease risk. You should certainly be taking a daily B-12 supplement - they say now that sublingual vs. not probably doesn't matter. And they won't test you for B-12 routinely, you have to specifically ask for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ill have to ask my Dr at my next appt.
i do take B12 everyday but now im nervous.
they literally took 10 vials of blood out of me at my first OB appt so i assumed they checked EVERYTHING.

ill ask her if they checked my b12 level and then what she thinks about this link.
i know last time i had a physical which i believe was October 2011 i asked them to check my B12 and it came back within normal range.

that was over a year ago though. hmmm.....

thank you for the info

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

If you were tested last year and it was normal and you've been consistent about supplementing in the meantime, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Things that are usually checked for in those 10 vials of blood:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/planni ... enatal.htm
http://www.babycenter.com/0_common-firs ... owAll=true

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 am 

Hi guys! The twins were born Monday, and they were fine, but I had lots of complications - I basically went from not being in labor at all to being in transition in less than two hours. I had two blood transfusions, a fever that lasted 3 days, postpartum pre-eclampsia that resulted being on magnesium sulfate for 24 hours, with three IV tubes in my arms, and I'm still trying to figure out everything that happened. I'm happy that I made it to 38+ weeks and was able to avoid a c-section, but I'm more happy that we're all safe and healthy. I wish I'd finally produce milk, though.

I'll share more soon, but we're still just adjusting. I kind of still feel like hell, although the babies are doing really well. I'm sorry if this is a little disjointed, but my brain still isn't working at full capacity!

Twin A, Alice Josephine was born at 12:02pm, weighed 6lbs4oz. Twin B, Emerson Blake was born at 12:14pm, and was 6lbs2oz. They were both around 20" long.

Josephine was my great-grandmother's name, and she chose my name. Otherwise, the other names are literary/historical and we thought about them for a long time. I feel like I need to keep saying that because apparently Emerson (and Blake) are trending.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh my goodness, dtbk, they're gorgeous! Congratulations! I'm glad they're doing well, and I hope you recover quickly! I know you're in the thick of it right now, but I hope you have support around you that will allow you to take some time to yourself. Birth really takes it out of you, and I can't imagine going through it twice right in a row. You're amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 am 
protein lump

ack! they are gorgeous and i LOVE their names. especially alice. so much.

feel better soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

They are so beautiful. You are amazing...that must have been quite the ride. I'm so happy for you! <3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I have been waiting for you to post so I could say congratulations!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congratulations DTBK!! I hope you can recover quick and well!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:53 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Yay DTBK! What you went through is really scary- I hope you have everything you need to recover physically and emotionally. What little loverkins you have! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:42 pm 

Congrats! They are so beautiful! I love the names. Amazing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 311  Next