| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Obligatory "STFU about Christmas in November" thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am 
Saggy Butt

I love Christmas and all but when everyone starts celebrating in November, by the time it’s ACTUALLY here, I’m already sick of it, which completely ruins it for me. Plus it just seems kind of crazy/desperate to me to start celebrating a holiday almost two months early! Is there really nothing else to be happy or excited about during the wintery months?
I had my hair cut the other day and as I was walking through the mall to get to the salon, there was a group of Christmas carolers. I mentioned it to my hair stylist and she said the mall had brought them out November 1st, but a bunch of people complained, so they stopped for a week and then brought them out again. As a company, I think it’s pretty bad if your patrons are going out of their way to complain to you about you shoving the “Christmas spirit” down their throats.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I really don't like the holidays. Generally, I just try to ignore them, and enjoy a couple of days off work.

But now a days, it starts the last week of November and you are inundated with xmas music, decor, scary Santa’s, etc for a FULL MONTH or more. It can be really annoying for those of us that don't celebrate. It is literally impossible to get away from.

Also, the shopping is just out of control. I thought the holidays were for family and friend togetherness and/or your religious holiday. Now it is so commercialized and insane, any fondness I have for this time of year is just gone.

And, I can't even get near a mall until the new year. Lame. I need new shoes! One of the gym's I frequent is in a mall! My favorite movie theater is at a mall! It takes about an hour to find parking this time of year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

kara kara wrote:
IBut the worst part for me is THE HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MUSIC. I've been subjected to it 40 hours a week for half of my life at this point. TOO MUCH. I've been off the last two days, and I just know when I go to work this afternoon that I'll be forced to hear that horrible Mariah Carey Christmas song. Great. It's in my head already.

Maybe if/when I don't work retail anymore, I won't hate Christmas so much.

Nah. Too scarred.

It's just the worse! I used to like the music, even a few years ago, but the last couple they started playing x-mas songs every 5th or so song at least a week before thanksgiving, then all x-mas starting Thanksgiving. The worst part is that every year it is the SAME MUSIC. Most seem to be at least 30 years old (probably don't have to pay royalties for most of them anymore?) Can't they add a few new ones into the rotation? Oh wait, there was one new one this year. Beiber. Yay. I can usually block out the music at work, but the ones I hate the most always creep in. I'll never forget them, probably hum them on my deathbed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

Forgot to add, since my move to the position I have at work about 7 years ago, I never ever get the day off after major holidays unless they fall on a weekend, since my job is the pricing and the biggest ads are on Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Can't get excited about the holiday when I have to be at work the next day at 4am. BahHumbug.

I do enjoy a few of the verisions of A Christmas Carol on tv or dvd on the day itself, and maybe Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas may make it into my player, but otherwise it's just a day off from work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Working for Winter Wonderland in a really busy area has zapped the little bit of Christmas spirit I had out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know it's not November anymore and I'm supposed to be in the Christmas spirit. But I forking hate Christmas! So rather than start my own rant thread I'm adding to this one. BahHumbug to the tenth degree, I am so grinched out right now. I have to work on Christmas eve, and then the day after. Everyone else in my office is taking off even though we aren't officially closed on Christmas eve. And I have no time off left, so I'll be working all day by myself! What joy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

One of my friends gave me a lecture on how "this is a free country" when I told her that I'm getting sick of Christmas. What I meant, and what I assumed she'd understand me to mean, since I've known her since kindergarten, is a combination of "all the lights and music and smells and everything are overwhelming to me" and "I feel lonely, being someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas in a society where it seems like everyone assumes that everyone celebrates Christmas, especially since this is the first time in my life that I've lived somewhere without a significant Jewish population." But she responded as if I were trying to make some kind of political point.