| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: L'Oreal Buys Urban Decay :(
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I think the few vegan Tarte products are still OK? And maybe Korres?

That is shitty.... particularly given the drama earlier this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Some of the Too Faced stuff is listed on their site as vegan friendly, and they don't test.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

fupapack wrote:
well i love OCC and medusa but i was thinking stuff i could pick up at drugstores or ulta or sephora.

Yeah, I hear this. I want to be able to buy slightly-better-than-ELF/WnW-makeup not exclusively online. And what I really care about most is foundation and mascara, because those are my staples and I can't always afford to replace them in time to wait to get them mailed to me. Eyeshadows last a long time and I have a drawer full, I have plenty of lip gloss/balm. Also I feel like eyeshadow is easier to not make total crepe, and even if I buy one that's a little chalky or not pigmented enough, I can still find a way to use it with other products to make it better. If I buy mascara and it sucks, it just sucks. Same with foundation, even if I user primer. I was set to buy UD vegan mascara and foundation 4 LYFE despite the semi-priceyness.

I know that the Too Faced matte palette is vegan.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Total BS. So disappointed in UD. Ugh.

I've heard good reviews about Jane Iredale products, she is cruelty free and lists which products are vegan. I'm going to try her foundation after my UD Naked runs out. But yes... super bummed that I'll still have to purchase it online. Sephora still sells Too Faced and OCC lip tars. I've also read good reviews about Gabriel & ZuZu Luxe products, which are all vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

heh, their apology earlier this year felt terribly hollow, so this doesn't seem out of character. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like the Paula's Choice foundation, the matte one. I forget the name. It's on Melliser's list as vegan. You have to buy it online, but they sell samples cheap so you can try before you buy.

I'm pretty effing miffed though. I use other mascaras and like them, but when I have a really long day I love the UD Lush Lash because it doesn't smudge at all.

mustards.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:42 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Son of a...

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I know, this is so ridiculous. I am done with UD, once and for all. forkers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already in this thread, but I want to join in and co-miserate. :(

I am getting really desperate to find mascara and foundation!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I like the Paula's Choice foundation, the matte one. I forget the name. It's on Melliser's list as vegan. You have to buy it online, but they sell samples cheap so you can try before you buy.

I'm pretty effing miffed though. I use other mascaras and like them, but when I have a really long day I love the UD Lush Lash because it doesn't smudge at all.

mustards.

Paula's Choice does not test and she has a list of the vegan products on her site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
fupapack wrote:
well i love OCC and medusa but i was thinking stuff i could pick up at drugstores or ulta or sephora.

Yeah, I hear this. I want to be able to buy slightly-better-than-ELF/WnW-makeup not exclusively online. And what I really care about most is foundation and mascara, because those are my staples and I can't always afford to replace them in time to wait to get them mailed to me. Eyeshadows last a long time and I have a drawer full, I have plenty of lip gloss/balm. Also I feel like eyeshadow is easier to not make total crepe, and even if I buy one that's a little chalky or not pigmented enough, I can still find a way to use it with other products to make it better. If I buy mascara and it sucks, it just sucks. Same with foundation, even if I user primer. I was set to buy UD vegan mascara and foundation 4 LYFE despite the semi-priceyness.

I know that the Too Faced matte palette is vegan.

yeah all i care about is foundation, and elf stuff is not my jam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

would it be cheap of me to load up on liquid glitter eyeliner before the deal goes through?
this news makes me want to cry.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sigh ugh barf hate *side eye*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kittee wrote:
would it be cheap of me to load up on liquid glitter eyeliner before the deal goes through?

no, it would be prudent. i did the same thing with converse when they started being made in vietnam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

kittee wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.
Seriously though! I remember speaking up on their behalf a couple times after they decided not to sell in China because hey guys, look, they did what we asked, we should totally still support them. Now this. Luckily the only stuff I liked from them was shadows and liners and things like that.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I ordered some samples from Monave (http://www.monave.com) a while back and had some luck with their mineral make-up....I might try ordering some more stuff from them. Since it is really difficult to find vegan / non-animal tested make-up in stores now....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

SIIIIIGH.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm 

I wasn't familiar with their make up but I saw a news clip this weekend talking about the woman sho started the company and she was raising her own heirloom turkeys, pigs, and goats for slaughter.

I'm confused...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:24 pm 

rohai wrote:
I wasn't familiar with their make up but I saw a news clip this weekend talking about the woman sho started the company and she was raising her own heirloom turkeys, pigs, and cows for slaughter.

I'm confused...

I thought I clicked edit to change goats to cows, but apparently not and now I'm really confused. Damn you small smart phone keyboard!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

fupapack wrote:
kittee wrote:

no, it would be prudent. i did the same thing with converse when they started being made in vietnam.

Isn't the real issue that the money goes to a company that has now made a piss-poor decision though?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ndpittman wrote:
L'Oreal makes me confused sometimes anyway. They have that shampoo that's labeled as vegan. And I think some people are like, we should support their efforts, and then other people are like, yeah, but they're evil...

I think they own Pureology and Pureology was very much like, we're still not testing on animals! OPI was similar and reconfirmed with Peta they're not testing, so I use them sometimes.

Some Hourglass foundation is labeled vegan and super nice, but also SUPER spendy. I treated myself to a couple of things because I had a coupon, and I was still like, oh shiitake! This better be NICE. And it was.

This. I actually buy vegan products that are owned by not-vegan companies to show support. My hairdresser got Pureology in especially for me and liked some of it so much he uses it with all of his customers now and some of them are now buying it. And that's better than them buying Redken, which has been tested. For me, it's no different to buying a vegan apple from a shop that sells meat, or eating a vegan meal in an omni restaurant. I totally respect others views to boycott though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thessaly wrote:
fupapack wrote:
kittee wrote:

Isn't the real issue that the money goes to a company that has now made a piss-poor decision though?

Yeah, I don't see how stocking up now is going to make any difference. It's still going to UD.

That being said, I am forking done with them. Good riddance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz wrote:

This. I actually buy vegan products that are owned by not-vegan companies to show support. My hairdresser got Pureology in especially for me and liked some of it so much he uses it with all of his customers now and some of them are now buying it. And that's better than them buying Redken, which has been tested. For me, it's no different to buying a vegan apple from a shop that sells meat, or eating a vegan meal in an omni restaurant. I totally respect others views to boycott though.

This is kind of where I am, too. I would prefer all vegan companies, but it just isn't practical for me to order something like really pricey foundation without being able to test it out first, and I don't want to have to return things and cut into profits. I am annoyed with UD, just because of the bullshiitake that has occurred this year. Selling your company is one thing, but changing core values, then saying you changed your mind whilst in talks with selling to a company that clearly doesn't share those values...not okay.

I know I'm making a sweeping assumption here, but I wonder if the backtrack was to keep sales up to keep the merger deal going, not to actually keep customers for the sake of keeping customers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

That's really bad news! :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 am 
Baking In The Flavor

says they will still remain on PETA's list....

http://www.phyrra.net/2012/11/urban-dec ... -them.html