| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Daphne wrote:
let us know how that cheesecake turns out...btw--has anyone made the Raspberry Swirl one? Was thinking of making it for Christmas to celebrate the world NOT ending on the 21st! :P

D.

I made it with blueberries during VeganMoFo, here. It's a huge cake! I think next time I would reduce the recipe just because it was way more cheesecake than we could handle (between two people!). We enjoyed it though. It was definitely different to other vegan cheesecake recipes I've tried- less sweet, and the texture was more like the dairy baked cheesecakes I remember. Lots of fun to make!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm at that stage with my rejuvelac where I'm not sure if it's done or not. It smells grainy and tastes a little bit sour, but not really tangy. Should I wait longer?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mary - have the grains really sprouted? If so, I think you're good... When I finally had rejuvelac success (with quinoa) it was mild, but sour.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My air dried cheddar (2nd go) isn't drying. The outside is slowly flaking off but the centre is resolutely spreadable, despite drying in several small chunks. My Parmesan dries perfectly and is about the same size.

I wonder if I could do a cheddar with a process more like the Parmesan? No tapioca or carrageenan... Just tweak the miso/nooch balance and use some rejuvelac?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Daphne wrote:
Was thinking of making it for Christmas to celebrate the world NOT ending on the 21st! :P

Why would the world end on the 21st?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I dumbfounded a chevre-loving omni today with the cashew chevre. Who needs dairy cheese? Exactly!

Also, update on the pumpkin cheesecake - it's not super sweet, but it's very tasty. I added 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar to the recipe to account for my larger-than-average sugar granules, but I probably could have doubled that. Or weighed it. I let the cream cheese culture for a full 48 hours and used medium firm tofu and tapioca flour instead of the other options of firm tofu and cornstarch. Agar powder instead of flakes.

It was very tasty, but it could have been a little less firm in that agar kind of way. I don't think it was an issue of overbaking because I turned the oven off when it was risen at the edges and just slightly wobbly in the center, and left it to finish in the turned-off oven with the vent on and the door cracked open. I would probably dial back the agar a little on future attempts. It makes a really good sized pie, and rich enough that I served 1/16 of it to my dinner guests alongside a little scoop of homemade orange ginger coconut ice cream.

Can't recommend the crust because I made my own Biscoff crumb crust, but I'm interested in trying it some other time. I had an almond-allergic person to feed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LFL wrote:
Daphne wrote:
Was thinking of making it for Christmas to celebrate the world NOT ending on the 21st! :P

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! (not)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:44 am 

Miyoko, would it be too much to ask to make a short video clip, up close, to show how you cook your cheeses?

I've made my fourth batch yesterday and I still can't get a firm cheese. Every batch I made was still too soft but I had to stop the cooking process because they started to burn. One of the cheeses couldn't be dried on a rack (brie from vegnews) because it was so soft the metal would slice through the cheese. 2 other batches I made (another brie from vegnews and the hard gruyere from the book I made last night) still ended up being soft. They did get glossy while I cooked them and pulled away from the sides of the pan, but then the fat (coconut) started oozing out. By an earlier comment you made you said that means they are overcooked.
They are extremely delicious (that is a huge compliment, I am Swiss and was a big cheese consumer) and I would love to be able to make a firm, sliceable cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lepelaar wrote:
LFL wrote:
Daphne wrote:

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! (not)

I was sarcastically referring to the Mayan prophesy/world ending on Dec 21 thing...I'm just kidding, people.... just kidding....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Two failed cream cheese attempts, one failed rejuvelac. Started another try at rejuvelac today, hoping for better luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Having done some experimenting... I think I don't like the taste of tapioca flour... Hmmm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Smoked provolone is hanging out now, I figured I would go all the way and air dry it. Anyway, I kept scraping the pan with my fingers, it was so good!

I also have the brie, also really yummy but I have no clue what to actually do with it. I've never actually had dairy brie, so not only do I not know how it compares (which isn't a bad thing) but I don't have the slightest clue what to do with it the two wheels I have now. I"m thinking I'll do some tofurkey and apple sandwiches for lunch? Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:44 pm 

I used to like brie in a flaky pastry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cashew chèvre is weirdly sweet. It's nice, but... sweet.

I also did one with a mixture of sesame, sunflower and cashews and it ain't half bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

I eat the brie in grilled sandwiches with green apple and red onion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 pm 

For the basic cashew cheese - the culturing step - what do you cover with? Something breathable, like cheese cloth? Should I use a container that has a lid? Just some foil? I had bad luck with mold and had to scrap two tries at cream cheese, I seem to have rejuvelac and don't want to waste more cashews.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just use a paper towel that I've stabbed some holes into.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:44 am 

I set a piece of parchment paper over the top.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

kasiakoz wrote:
For the basic cashew cheese - the culturing step - what do you cover with? Something breathable, like cheese cloth? Should I use a container that has a lid? Just some foil? I had bad luck with mold and had to scrap two tries at cream cheese, I seem to have rejuvelac and don't want to waste more cashews.

I usually put into a Tupperware box and then leave it in cupboard kitchen . I have done it it twice with good results.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

I used a couple layers of cheese cloth and it seems to be working. Opened it up and it smells like cheese!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I put a plate on top.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Cgvegan wrote:
Having done some experimenting... I think I don't like the taste of tapioca flour... Hmmm

I really don't like the taste of tapioca starch either. I'm thinking i might try a mix of potato starch and glutinous rice flour to emulate the tapioca texture. Anyone have any suggestions?

Aside from corn, wheat and rice starch i can get sweet potato starch, mung bean starch and water chestnut starch. Can't get arrowroot starch, but can get dried arrowroot pieces, blend them up and sift out the fibrous bits, but i may die from arrowroot asphyxiation in the process. A risk i am willing to take, as surely there could be no more dignified death than for the cause of artisanal nut cheese?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Loomi wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

I really don't like the taste of tapioca starch either. I'm thinking i might try a mix of potato starch and glutinous rice flour to emulate the tapioca texture. Anyone have any suggestions?

Aside from corn, wheat and rice starch i can get sweet potato starch, mung bean starch and water chestnut starch. Can't get arrowroot starch, but can get dried arrowroot pieces, blend them up and sift out the fibrous bits, but i may die from arrowroot asphyxiation in the process. A risk i am willing to take, as surely there could be no more dignified death than for the cause of artisanal nut cheese?

Interesting...tapioca starch doesn't have a taste in my opinion. Wondering if it's different in different locales.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Cgvegan wrote:

Same problem with the tapioca starch... I'm using Bob's Red Mill, which has never been an issue in baked goods or seitan recipes - but it is overwhelming the cheese and if I try to cook it longer, the oil separates.

I am expecting a delivery of Ultratex (a very bland, cold water swelling tapioca starch from Willpowder) tomorrow and will be playing with it this weekend with some yoghurt cheddar that is aging on the counter right now - which is developing an excellent flavor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Max&Moritz wrote:
Miyoko, would it be too much to ask to make a short video clip, up close, to show how you cook your cheeses?

I've made my fourth batch yesterday and I still can't get a firm cheese. Every batch I made was still too soft but I had to stop the cooking process because they started to burn. One of the cheeses couldn't be dried on a rack (brie from vegnews) because it was so soft the metal would slice through the cheese. 2 other batches I made (another brie from vegnews and the hard gruyere from the book I made last night) still ended up being soft. They did get glossy while I cooked them and pulled away from the sides of the pan, but then the fat (coconut) started oozing out. By an earlier comment you made you said that means they are overcooked.
They are extremely delicious (that is a huge compliment, I am Swiss and was a big cheese consumer) and I would love to be able to make a firm, sliceable cheese.

I found these helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUiYPhU ... ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbPLXONzXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8rA7hT ... ature=plcp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 63  Next