| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

astarte wrote:
I just moved to Austin and am looking for a good yoga studio to join so I can get back to a regular yoga practice. Anyone in the area have recommendations?

In the meantime, I'll share these videos that leave my lazy bum in awe. I should be motivated, but just watching the videos make me feel like I've worked out. Hehe.
Briohny Smyth of Equinox
Time lapse of Meghan Currie

A lot of people love Black Swan Yoga, if you like Vinyassa. If you like Kundalini get a class from Methab at Yoga Yoga. I also really like Castle Hill.

TheFree Day of Yoga is right around the corner, you can try ever place for free!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I took prenatal and postnatal yoga classes and now I'm doing the crawler and toddler classes, but I'd like to to a "real" yoga class on the weekend, sans baby. I'm pretty much a beginner still -- can anyone recommend what kind of class to start with? I was thinking maybe hatha flow since most of my experience is in that, but I'm totally open to suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

indexandicon wrote:
Thanks happy :) So far, so good! My obliques are KILLING me, but I feel like going everyday is leading to some really major breakthroughs via repetition and I feel immediately stronger. Yesterday I wound up having a semi-private class because only one other person showed up, and it was a pretty profound experience.

kick booty on keeping up with it. that's really awesome on the semi-private class. i've been lucky enough to have experienced one myself a few months ago. it was glorious! so awesome on feeling stronger already, too. superw00t!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mandycoot wrote:
I took prenatal and postnatal yoga classes and now I'm doing the crawler and toddler classes, but I'd like to to a "real" yoga class on the weekend, sans baby. I'm pretty much a beginner still -- can anyone recommend what kind of class to start with? I was thinking maybe hatha flow since most of my experience is in that, but I'm totally open to suggestions!

mandycoot, i think hatha flow sounds awesome & a good place to start. the teacher in any class should give modifications for all levels, too. even though i've been practicing for years, i still love a good gentle yoga class. it's kinda like "chill yoga" and it makes me feel awesome because they often times through in a few restorative poses that de-stress me like you would not believe. :D if you can find yin yoga, i recommend those as well. in yin yoga you hold the poses for longer, and i want to say the poses are more restorative, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Woo! I'm only 2/3 of the way through my challenge, but I did it! I did a headstand for the first time EVER today. It was so, so awesome. I also got into Bakasana for like a single second before I fell out. All I can say is that doing yoga every day is the best idea I've ever had. I want to do yoga every day forever and ever!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

squeeeeeeeeeee! congrats on the headstand and getting into bakasana, indexandicon!

i hear ya on wanting to do yoga every day for ever 'n ever. meeeee, toooooo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chris and I have started doing hot yoga together and love it so much.
It's an awesome studio in Austin that is donation based and they have classes super late (10:30!) so that's our nightly date/wind down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

To answer lazy smurf & Astarte - we go to black swan and love it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 pm 
Kale Wreath

I made a promise to myself to seriously take up moksha hot yoga once I got back to Vancouver and I did. There's a special intro month deal that I got, but I fully intend to continue and do it daily if I can. Since last Thursday I've gone every day except once, and every time I go it gets better and I feel more focused and stronger, even though I know I can't actually be stronger since it's only been a week. I could stand to lose a bit of weight and tone up my muscles, but my main purpose is to feel more balanced and mentally stronger during my last year of grad school.

I want to set a yoga goal each month. My goal for this month is to learn to enjoy pigeon pose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm 
Kale Wreath

And I just signed up for the 30-day challenge next month. A bit apprehensive, but excited!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Have any of you ever done a Tara Stiles dvd? I just impulsively bought a 4-dvd set of hers for $20 on amazon only because it was rated 5 stars. I'm just wondering what to expect and if it was that cheap because they aren't very good.

Lately I've been enjoying Rock Your Yoga on the Veria channel. It's an hour long show and the instructor seems very fun and outgoing and more of the mindset that yoga is about doing the best you can do on any given day, rather than trying to be perfect like I've encountered with some other teachers. Have any of you watched the show?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've been doing yoga just about everyday for the last month. I've lost weight and I am getting noticeably stronger and more flexible. I'm addicted.

Oh, and I love Sadie! I've been using some of her videos on Youtube, but I didn't know about the Veria site! I love how fun and sassy she is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I got my butt to a Flow Yoga class last night which was pretty decent. I picked up the teachers dvd too so in theory I can practice at home. When I go back to university in January I might check out a nearby Bikram class. I did it about a year ago and couldn't figure out if I hated it or loved it. I'm a masochist so I think I loved it but it was pretty intense and disorienting so I'm not sure. Yoga is so great. I love how there is a school of practice for every type of person.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Chip Strong

I tried a Yin-Yang class tonight because two of my running pals suggested this style was helpful for them. Basically, half the practice is challenging flowing asana and the other half is deeper postures, held for up to 5mins. If I liked it, the plan was to incorporate the Sunday evening class (after my long runs) as part of my regular routine. Well, I loved it! I didn't find it super challenging (as in, it didn't feel like a workout), but I got some nice deep stretches. Very restorative & relaxing, which is a perfect end to the week. The studio is a 5min walk from my house and it was beautiful space and welcoming. The teachers/staff were awesome too. This will be a nice balance to my running and hot yoga practice. Yipee!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

My teacher was away so I didn't go to yoga classes for almost a month. So I started up again last Wednesday because she had returned (at this point, I only go once a week, but it's 90 minutes beginner/intermediate kundalini style) and anyway, I noticed such a difference in my patience the next day--as in I had more of it than usual about things that aggravate me and also just a much more positive mindset overall. Sometimes I need reminders of how beneficial yoga is to my life and that even when my teacher is away, I still need to practice regularly!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just got Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga DVD and my body is so grateful. I have been really low energy recently so more energetic styles have been a bit much. I took a workshop with Paul several years ago and at the time I felt like yin yoga was way too crazy-meditative for me--I craved movement--but it is really wonderful for my mind and body.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:29 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I went to my second ever Kundalini class tonight. And, it's still weird, but I still think I like it! Anyone out there practice Kundalini on the regular??? Tell me more!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

indexandicon wrote:
I went to my second ever Kundalini class tonight. And, it's still weird, but I still think I like it! Anyone out there practice Kundalini on the regular??? Tell me more!

I have practiced it since 2001 and for some periods in that time, practiced it regularly. I love it! I think it's my favorite style of yoga. I think I like the mental/emotional benefits best it seems to have a deeper spiritual element than other yogas--there's more breathing exercises, chanting, and rhythmic performance of asanas as opposed to flow yoga. There's a great variety of asanas, too. That's the thing for me with Ashtanga--I can get bored of it because it's all sun-salutation-y and there are no surprises. I've been going to classes with the same Kundalini teacher, same group of people now for about three years and she can mix it up every time and I always feel like I just had a great session of release and my spirits are lifted. I find its effects very positive and the group has stayed much the same so there's a greater comfort level among us all, I think though every session there are at least a few new faces.

Now, I can get into the chants, but for me, it took years. It seemed strange to me for a while but now I care not and giv'r. Letting go is much of the point.

There is some talk of the chakras and auras and magnetic fields and that but I don't get too much into that. The teacher goes over the focus of that day's practice when there's a brief break (like, 2 mins in my class) in the physical and breathing exercises as she talks about that. I mean it's positive talk but I don't necessarily believe it entirely, but I don't mind listening.

Each class starts with the Om Namo salutation then a warm up--usually those are the same kind of exercises: cat/cow, spinal twists, alternate leg lifts, spinal flex and then a brief breathing/meditation and then the short talk of focus for today's session then onto the physical routine of maybe 30-40 mins and then at the end around 15 to 20 mins of deep relaxation (corpse) and then another meditation of around ten minutes at the end, ending with the Sunshine Song. <3

Keep it up if it seems like it's the style for you. It takes some getting used to especially at first but it's been a great benefit to my life.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

seitanicverses wrote:
indexandicon wrote:

I have practiced it since 2001 and for some periods in that time, practiced it regularly. I love it!
Spoiler: show
I think it's my favorite style of yoga. I think I like the mental/emotional benefits best it seems to have a deeper spiritual element than other yogas--there's more breathing exercises, chanting, and rhythmic performance of asanas as opposed to flow yoga. There's a great variety of asanas, too. That's the thing for me with Ashtanga--I can get bored of it because it's all sun-salutation-y and there are no surprises. I've been going to classes with the same Kundalini teacher, same group of people now for about three years and she can mix it up every time and I always feel like I just had a great session of release and my spirits are lifted. I find its effects very positive and the group has stayed much the same so there's a greater comfort level among us all, I think though every session there are at least a few new faces.

Now, I can get into the chants, but for me, it took years. It seemed strange to me for a while but now I care not and giv'r. Letting go is much of the point.

There is some talk of the chakras and auras and magnetic fields and that but I don't get too much into that. The teacher goes over the focus of that day's practice when there's a brief break (like, 2 mins in my class) in the physical and breathing exercises as she talks about that. I mean it's positive talk but I don't necessarily believe it entirely, but I don't mind listening.

Each class starts with the Om Namo salutation then a warm up--usually those are the same kind of exercises: cat/cow, spinal twists, alternate leg lifts, spinal flex and then a brief breathing/meditation and then the short talk of focus for today's session then onto the physical routine of maybe 30-40 mins and then at the end around 15 to 20 mins of deep relaxation (corpse) and then another meditation of around ten minutes at the end, ending with the Sunshine Song. <3

Keep it up if it seems like it's the style for you. It takes some getting used to especially at first but it's been a great benefit to my life.

Thanks for your rundown! I do like it, but I think I'm more committed to my more "standard" asana practice. I don't work with teachers who do a lot of set series, which is nice! But, I think I'm going to go to more Kundalini because of the way it let's me access different parts of my mind. I've never felt anything like it that wasn't dancing!

--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:07 am 
Tofu Pup

Haven't done yoga for ages but hoping to get back into it soon (one of my New Year's resolution)
I use easy/beginner DVDs at home

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:14 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've just started in hopes it will help to treat my depression and improve body awareness. So far, I really like my instructors. I feel so out of shape, though - I'm one of the younger people in my group and I can't even touch my toes! But in time, heh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 am 
Chip Strong

This is a really cool short yoga documentary that I watched last night. Very inspirational.
http://www.yogais.com/
"Follow filmmaker Suzanne Bryant as she meets with the most prominent Yoga Gurus and teachers in the west and travels to India to explore the power of this ancient practice. "
"FEATURING: Russell Simmons, Christy Turlington Burns, Michael Franti, Sharon Gannon, David Life, Seane Corn, Shiva Rea, Alan Finger, Ana Forrest, Baron Baptiste, Cyndi Lee, Sri Dharma Mittra, Eddie Modestini, Elise Browning Miller, Erich Schiffmann, Gurmukh, Krishna Das, Nicki Doane, Robert Thurman, Saul David Raye, Shyam Das"
On Amazon Prime & Netflix

I am a yoga newbie and took some time off due to a knee injury that just won't seem to get better. It's very frustrating. I think I may need PT but I have no insurance right now. Anyhow, I'm not sure what style the basic/beginner class is that I was going to, but I was also enjoying Forrest Yoga. Going to beginner class again tonight. Trying to ease back into it without angering the knee too much. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Yoga is incredible for recovery, but only if you really listen to your body and don't push yourself too far. It really helped me when I was recovering from nerve damage post surgery.

Don't forget to tell your instructors about your knee problems, especially since you are a beginner. They'll keep an eye on you, and whenever there's a pose that may aggravate it, they'll give you alternative poses. They might even be able to show you poses and stretches to do outside of class that would help, kind of like a PT would.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
Chip Strong

kara kara wrote:
Yoga is incredible for recovery, but only if you really listen to your body and don't push yourself too far. It really helped me when I was recovering from nerve damage post surgery.

Don't forget to tell your instructors about your knee problems, especially since you are a beginner. They'll keep an eye on you, and whenever there's a pose that may aggravate it, they'll give you alternative poses. They might even be able to show you poses and stretches to do outside of class that would help, kind of like a PT would.

Thanks, yes, I'm not much of a push myself too hard type, and I am very gentle with myself. And all of my lovely yoga teachers have always asked about who has injuries for modifications in class.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been trying to fit in at least a little yoga every day, my deal with myself is that I have to get my may out and even if I only do corpse pose. My mum bought me a subscription to www.ekhartyoga.com (there are free sessions too) and I absolutely love Esther Ekhart. There is simply no way I could get to a class regularly. She mainly does vinyasa flies but there are other teachers : hatha, yin etc. I've also been trying to do some of the meditations but its harder to find the guaranteed uninterruption for that! Three small boys and their needs certainly have a way of intruding!

I've managed it most days for the last five months though and I can feel what 10-20 minutes a day is doing for me. I usually practice while my youngest naps and it transforms my afternoons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next