| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 479  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Olives wrote:
"oh no, olives. My family is not going to like these peels. They like their potatoes white"

I think that just sounds really creepy, like if you give them unpeeled potatoes they'll murder you silently and straight-faced with an axe or something!

Olives wrote:
there are no potatoes for me.

Aww, even after you spent so long peeling them all? That's just mean!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I had just gone vegan and my nan, who I live with and is amazingly enthusiastic about vegan stuff, was telling my mum and one of my mum's friends about it.

The friend said "Oh, hippy, saving the planet now is she?"

My nan replied "No, saving her health, since she switched she's had no eczema symptoms and her PCOS problems have practically disappeared."

Shut her up pretty quick. And then she made the connection that her granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to eggs, so nan got to be all superior and tell her all the vegan products out there. It made me laugh so hard.

Then again, my dad was the typical, "What do you eat?" "You eat eggs, right?" "You eat fish, right?"

In the end, I had to show him around my kitchen, "Look, this is what I eat. Do you see any animal products?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Blueberries wrote:
Olives wrote:
"oh no, olives. My family is not going to like these peels. They like their potatoes white"

I think that just sounds really creepy, like if you give them unpeeled potatoes they'll murder you silently and straight-faced with an axe or something!

What kind of wierdos don't like the peels?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 pm 
Grandfathered In

SpiceMiner wrote:
Blueberries wrote:
Olives wrote:

What kind of wierdos don't like the peels?

This kind?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Olives, your thanksgiving dinner sounds like mine. Which is why I don't go anymore! Sorry you have to put up with that.

missmuffcake wrote:
OK so maybe not an vegan gripe but an animal lover gripe...

I was buying fabric today to make Mar's holiday bow tie for his photo session* and the counter knows I am crazy for my Mar-bear-cat...This women said she had an older cat that she recently put down....under her breath she said because it was getting litter all over and she did not want her grandchildren sick. what the fizzle!?!? I wanted to punch her...

*if anyone wants a holiday card with a 19 pounds panda cat in a bow tie PM me your address! :)

The president of a company I used to work for put his wife's cat down because it meowed too much during the night and it bothered him.

I literally cried over that. Why wouldn't he just give it away? I would have taken the poor thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

Chicki wrote:
Olives, your thanksgiving dinner sounds like mine. Which is why I don't go anymore! Sorry you have to put up with that.

missmuffcake wrote:
OK so maybe not an vegan gripe but an animal lover gripe...

I was buying fabric today to make Mar's holiday bow tie for his photo session* and the counter knows I am crazy for my Mar-bear-cat...This women said she had an older cat that she recently put down....under her breath she said because it was getting litter all over and she did not want her grandchildren sick. what the fizzle!?!? I wanted to punch her...

*if anyone wants a holiday card with a 19 pounds panda cat in a bow tie PM me your address! :)

The president of a company I used to work for put his wife's cat down because it meowed too much during the night and it bothered him.

I literally cried over that. Why wouldn't he just give it away? I would have taken the poor thing.

Okay, this is the kind of stuff that makes me sometimes feel like people just shouldn't be allowed to keep animals as pets (says someone who has "pets"). What is wrong with people?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yes, I had a cat at the time that was pretty old (14) and was having kidney problems and peeing all over the place. You would not believe how many people told me that I should put her down. Not because she had health problems, but because there was pee outside the litterbox sometimes.

In fact that is how I found out about the presidents cat. He overheard me telling my coworker about my poor old kitty and her pee problems.

Um NO. How about I put YOU down when you get old and gross things happen to you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm 
Grandfathered In

One of our (four) cats cries all the time at night, but we don't think he's in any pain. He's 14 and just gets... lonely? confused?

But it's almost every night.

If he comes into the bedroom, he's fine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sorry that's what you get from holidays too, Chicki.

Also, these needless pet killing stories are breaking my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Will most vets kill animals on demand for reasons like meowing in the night? I hope not! Plus, my cat meows (more like yowls) a lot at night sometimes and it's forking adorable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, he dropped the poor thing off at a pound, not a no-kill shelter. Was not a kitten. I am 99.99% sure she was put down. Another co-worker was upset and wanted to call the pound, but he had dropped her off over a week ago. If it was a no-kill shelter, like a rescue place, they might have asked him why.

What a jerk. There are tons of no-kill shelters in the area.

And I agree, cats meowing is really awesome. Mine carries a sock or some of my crochet stuff around in his mouth and meows to get attention. It's all muffled since his mouth is full, and it is so freaking adorable. Very distinctive. I can tell when he is coming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm 
Grandfathered In

We have two very loud cats. And while they are awesome, their meowling is not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

FootFace wrote:
One of our (four) cats cries all the time at night, but we don't think he's in any pain. He's 14 and just gets... lonely? confused?

Mar is 15 and he is healthy as can be....These last few months he meows at night in the room, staring at me like he is angry. Then he is OK once in bed till 20 minutes before we get up in the morning. He often times scratches and bites me, I sometimes wear a long glove to bed because he hurts me! It really effect my sleep....

He does it in the day time too...I tried playing with him, brushing him but he wants snacks! I am like 'noooo'...I sometimes gets meow-grain headaches. :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My childhood cat was put to sleep because she would freak out at the vet. Instead of dealing with that issue, my mother decided that it had incurable personality problems and had it killed.

My kitty Gershwin is an absolute monster at the vet, but I love him and he is my baby and I would do anything for him. If it takes all day at the vet for me to soothe him and give him a kitty xanax or whatever else, I'd do it. I can't imagine just killing my cat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

I think part of the problem is the euphemism of "putting down" the animal. Maybe people would be less likely to kill their pets if we called it what it is: killing their pets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
I think part of the problem is the euphemism of "putting down" the animal. Maybe people would be less likely to kill their pets if we called it what it is: killing their pets.

That may work for some instances but what about the ones where a pet is dying and you decide that they shouldn't suffer? One of my cats had liver failure when I was young and we decided to put him down. I still remember the moment when we knew he wouldn't make it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 pm 

linanil wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

That may work for some instances but what about the ones where a pet is dying and you decide that they shouldn't suffer? One of my cats had liver failure when I was young and we decided to put him down. I still remember the moment when we knew he wouldn't make it.

Yeah, that's totally different from killing an animal because of behavioral issues! I had a cat once (not really "my" cat, she was my roommate's cat, but the cat adamantly claimed me as her person when I moved in) who was at least 15 years old and had diabetes. We took really good care of her and gave her insulin shots twice a day for a long time, but finally her body just gave out and I found her one morning sprawled out near my bed and foaming at the mouth. When we took her to the vet, my roommate decided that the vet should euthanize the cat, because it was the difference between her dying right then or suffering for several more hours before death.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
linanil wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Yeah, that's totally different from killing an animal because of behavioral issues! I had a cat once (not really "my" cat, she was my roommate's cat, but the cat adamantly claimed me as her person when I moved in) who was at least 15 years old and had diabetes. We took really good care of her and gave her insulin shots twice a day for a long time, but finally her body just gave out and I found her one morning sprawled out near my bed and foaming at the mouth. When we took her to the vet, my roommate decided that the vet should euthanize the cat, because it was the difference between her dying right then or suffering for several more hours before death.

I know, I just meant it is the same wording that is used for both situations. It sucks that people would get rid of their animals due to inconvenience. I can't even imagine being a vet and dealing with people that just want to end the life of a pet just because it is inconvenient or cut their vocal chords or declaw them or whatever else.

(I have 2 very loud kitties also, but they are my love. My first cat was loud enough then we got a siamese mix. SIAMESE LOVE FOR EVER.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:

My kitty Gershwin is an absolute monster at the vet, but I love him and he is my baby and I would do anything for him. If it takes all day at the vet for me to soothe him and give him a kitty xanax or whatever else, I'd do it. I can't imagine just killing my cat.

Mar hates the vet. He gets really scared and pees himself. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 am 
WRETCHED

Last night, my tortie woke me up around 2am. She was hungry. My siamese mix usually sleeps on our bed until about 3am and I usually don't close our bedroom door until 4 or 5am. I went to the bathroom, gave the tortie a few kibbles then closed our bedroom door as the siamese was no where to be seen. Within 15 minutes, the siamese was meowing and banging on the door, so I get up, open the door, she runs under the bed. I climb into bed, she climbs on top of me and goes to sleep.

So basically my cats control me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
Yes, I had a cat at the time that was pretty old (14) and was having kidney problems and peeing all over the place. You would not believe how many people told me that I should put her down. Not because she had health problems, but because there was pee outside the litterbox sometimes.

In fact that is how I found out about the presidents cat. He overheard me telling my coworker about my poor old kitty and her pee problems.

Um NO. How about I put YOU down when you get old and gross things happen to you?

My kitty's still young and I recently discovered he has kidney problems. Someone asked how he was because he was sick the week before, but it hadn't been diagnosed yet. So I told him he needs special food and she's all like "all that? For a friggin' cat???" Well, um, yes. What do you expect me to do? Just let him deteriorate and die? Set him free into the wild and see what happens?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 am 
Semen Strong

That is a really crappy reaction. Sorry fisticuffs.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:36 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

vegantogepii wrote:
I had just gone vegan and my nan, who I live with and is amazingly enthusiastic about vegan stuff, was telling my mum and one of my mum's friends about it.

The friend said "Oh, hippy, saving the planet now is she?"

My nan replied "No, saving her health, since she switched she's had no eczema symptoms and her PCOS problems have practically disappeared."

Shut her up pretty quick. And then she made the connection that her granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to eggs, so nan got to be all superior and tell her all the vegan products out there. It made me laugh so hard.

Then again, my dad was the typical, "What do you eat?" "You eat eggs, right?" "You eat fish, right?"

In the end, I had to show him around my kitchen, "Look, this is what I eat. Do you see any animal products?"

My parents always ask if i eat eggs and dairy? Duude I've been vegan for a year now... you should know this as I'm over here (they live down the street) once a week at least. And then they still think a small amount of something on my plate won't hurt. Noo, I will not eat your animal products, no thank you. I'm fine and very healthy just the way I am.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Am I the only one who has relatives who actually LIE about if there is animal products in the food or not? I don't live anywhere near my family, but when we sometimes visit for the holiday I certainly never make a big deal about what I can or can't eat. Over Thanksgiving I just asked if there was any animal products in the veggies (and I specified exactly what animal products were because my mom CANNOT understand that butter and cheese are animal products) So I loaded up my plate with veggies that I was told were animal free and after dinner overhear a discussion about how "she sneaked in butter and even an egg" into the veggies. Good for you Mom - I feel respected. I didn't even bother saying anything to her, Christmas is going to be fun when I bring all my own groceries and prepare all my own food - she is probably going to have a major fit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

annasrobbie wrote:
So I loaded up my plate with veggies that I was told were animal free and after dinner overhear a discussion about how "she sneaked in butter and even an egg" into the veggies.

That's sooooo lame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 479  Next