| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Dishonored, 50% off? DO IT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 pm 
Chip Strong

Dishonored is awesome.
Max Payne 3 kind of sucked. There are only checkpoint saves and some of the parts you have to replay are looooong - I happily quicksave spammed my way through 1 and 2, and lack of that option is probably why I haven't been able to even really consider finishing 3. Plus, the first two games (especially 2) always peppered in some humor to liven up Max's grimdark outlook on life. It doesn't seem like something Rockstar would fork up, but they really did with Max 3.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:45 pm 
A Bad Person

Whoa! A bunch of good games on sale today! I thoroughly recommend the Alan Wake series, Castle Crashers, and The Witcher 2. I can also recommend Legend of Grimrock if you're into old school, first person, party-based dungeon crawls.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I ended up with Skyrim and World of Goo. I have Skyrim on xbox, but no longer have an xbox. I've been wanting to replay it ever since the weather started cooling down and it's probably the closest thing I'll come to mountains and snow this year.

World of Goo is so much fun!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Now you can install loads of awesome mods, too-- Skyrim is much more awesome on the PC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I bought a four pack of Castle Crashers and have one left, if anyone wants to trade anything. I'm kind of wary about just giving games away because I gave away two copies of L4D2 and neither person has played even a minute of it (you don't have to play with me, but if you ain't gonna play at all, don't claim it so I can give it to someone else, y'know?).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm fairly proud of myself this sale. I spent less than $50, picked up Alan Wake and Spec Ops, and mostly held my ground.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Not bad!

I have to admit that I'm quite looking forward to Far Cry 3. It's getting good reviews from sites I trust, and RPS claims it fixes a lot of what was wrong with FC2, while keeping the stuff that made FC2 good. Lots of noodling around on an island shooting at people and stuff.

Anyway, I have been farming. Gameplay is exactly like this:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 pm 
Chip Strong

Far Cry 3 does look all kinds of awesome. I'm holding out until at least after Christmas or maybe the spring when I assume it will be on sale. I really shouldn't be patting myself on the back. I did buy Guild Wars 2 last week and am fairly caught in its clutches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm 
A Bad Person

solipsistnation wrote:
Not bad!

I have to admit that I'm quite looking forward to Far Cry 3. It's getting good reviews from sites I trust, and RPS claims it fixes a lot of what was wrong with FC2, while keeping the stuff that made FC2 good. Lots of noodling around on an island shooting at people and stuff.

Anyway, I have been farming. Gameplay is exactly like this:

Ha ha ha, that video is the only thing I think of when I see Farming Simulator.

I liked Far Cry 2. I never finished it, because that game is long, but I liked it. But I also never finished the original Far Cry. It lost me when the monkeys showed up.

I'm nearing the end of Crysis 2. That game is goddamned beautiful, but it doesn't feel as open as Crysis, and the story is completely bonkers. I mean, I like Richard Morgan, and this story is a little too much too fast. I mean the game moves fast as it is, and then they're jamming all these story elements into it. Between that and the super busy UI, it's very overwhelming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I kinda didn't like Crysis 2. It felt like a chore. I'll still check out whatever happens in 3, but, meh. Interesting, but not THAT interesting.

I did finish Far Cry 2, mostly because I had all these guns and had blown up pretty much everything in the country at least 3 times. (The jeep with the grenade launcher is seriously overpowered. I'd just stop a quarter-mile from a checkpoint and lay waste to it and then drive on through past the smoking ruins, meeting no further resistance.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:20 pm 
A Bad Person

The respawning checkpoints in Far Cry 2 kind of did in my enthusiasm once I'd put it down for a bit. I mean, they're easy enough to either drive through or wipe out, but doing that every single time I went through one felt tedious.

I'll admit, I wasn't really impressed by Crysis 2 when I started it months ago, but it has grown on me. I think that overwhelming start of "oh shiitake, you're dead. Oh shiitake, you're in a super suit. Oh shiitake, here comes some dudes. Oh shiitake, aliens!" didn't help. I felt more like I'd walked into the middle of a film than started a sequel to a game I'm rather familiar with. It doesn't help that I couldn't go prone, and enemies seemed to have received laser eye surgery. The Koreans in Crysis weren't exactly myopic but I could at least go prone and pull out my binocs for some recon without having to go stealth. Not so much luck in Crysis 2.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm 
Chip Strong

Today's Humble Bundle has Saint's Row 3, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, Darksiders, and Metro 2033. And of course, it's for charity!
http://www.humblebundle.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:37 am 
A Bad Person

So totally worth it, even if I own four of the games already.

The system requirements are out for Crysis 3. I'm pretty pleased that the only thing holding me back is my video card. It's just under the minimum, the rest of my system fits in their recommended specs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Far Cry 3 is very pretty and gives you loads of stuff to do. 2 hours in, I'm digging it, although the complaints brought up here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12 ... far-cry-3/

...are all pretty obvious. (I like to turn off notifications, and yeah. It's open-world. I'm ignoring the plot now, so leave me alone.)

It's also about the least vegan game I've played in quite a while. I have shopping list of animals I need to hunt down, kill, and skin in order to make myself a bunch of accessories, most of which let me carry more bullets and guns in order to shoot more people. Currently I need to go gank something like 8 goats, a couple of pigs, several dogs, some dingoes(!!), some CASSOWARIES(WHAT) and some (more) tapirs. It's a bizarre smorgasbord of exotic slaughter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm definitely into what I'm hearing about Far Cry 3.

Hotline Miami is half off this weekend! As if $10 wasn't cheap enough, now you can get it for $5! And FTL is $6!!! Get two of the best indie games this year for super cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm a few hours into Far Cry 3. It's incredible that a game as polished as FC3 could be crippled by the most regressive failure of a checkpoint/save system I've seen since, I dunno, Daikatana. Seriously, was this not playtested? I played most of the afternoon, and I honestly have no idea what will be done or not when I go to load my game. Will the outposts I captured still be captured? Will the side missions still be complete? Will I show up somewhere arbitrary? Does the save function in the menu actually do anything at all? Who knows? Plus I bet I get the phone call pointing me toward the next story mission and a handful of "New tutorial" popups AGAIN when I start it up again.

It's a pity, because it's mostly quite good. There's weeks of exploration in here-- I keep finding caves and temples and stuff, too. The shooty bits are nice. The most dangerous potential opponent in the game is a friggin' cassowary.

But the sheer quantity of animals you're told to go shoot is kind of freaky. I'm pretty thoroughly in the "it's just a game" camp, but it's making me a bit uncomfortable. I mean, the komodo dragons from nowhere? I shoot them mustards dead. But I need to go kill and skin HOW MANY tapirs? I LIKE tapirs!

Anyway, I'd say play it, but wait for it to go on sale or for them to patch the absurdly broken failure of a save system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 am 
Nailed to the V

You all should get Defcon, I'd love to play with everyone. It's the best backstabbing game I've ever played. Just play a few AI games to figure out the concept.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 am 
A Bad Person

And seriously, what was up with the save system in Daikatana? Save crystals? I realize they did it for the N64 port (lol), but very few games pull off limited saves and Daikatana is not one of them. Even those that do are basically checkpointed, such as Resident Evil's typewriters. There's just so much that can go wrong in a level of Daikatana. Fun fact: a lot of the screenshots of Daikatana on Giant Bomb were uploaded by me after my last playthrough.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, those guys talked a lot about Far Cry 3 on this week's Bombcast, and they highly recommend spacing out the hunting and item creation tasks throughout the less interesting story stuff, because those are the best parts of the game.

GOBS, I have Defcon because I love Introversion, and that game is sad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 am 
Nailed to the V

Ah, I like it. Forming alliances, breaking them. pretending to be a noob and then messing everything up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 am 
A Bad Person

You know I want to say the original Far Cry had some weird save problems too. Like limited saves, or only save between levels. Far Cry 2 had a very explicit save system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am 
WRETCHED

I'm in a gaming lull. I have lots of games, I kind of want to play my games but I don't. I finished Dragon Age 2 (I know) and now I don't know what to do with myself so I've started reading books until I get the desire again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:53 am 
A Bad Person

linanil wrote:
I finished Dragon Age 2 (I know)

Ha ha ha, I had to use that same qualifier! I spent two whole weekends playing stupid Dragon Age 2 and all I had to excuse myself for it was "I know". Here's hoping Dragon Age 3 will be better, and given away on Origin through some coupon goof like how I got DA2.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

brian wrote:
And seriously, what was up with the save system in Daikatana? Save crystals? I realize they did it for the N64 port (lol), but very few games pull off limited saves and Daikatana is not one of them. Even those that do are basically checkpointed, such as Resident Evil's typewriters. There's just so much that can go wrong in a level of Daikatana. Fun fact: a lot of the screenshots of Daikatana on Giant Bomb were uploaded by me after my last playthrough.

Yeah, Daikatana had many problems. The save system was just one of many. It was pretty much immediately patched for the PC after release.

This review:

http://www.epinions.com/review/game-Sof ... prod3?sb=1

...got me a gig writing new and occasional reviews for MacGamer.com, way back when.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:41 pm 
A Bad Person

You lost points when you said it's better than Wheel of Time. And the Aegis key was, in fact, one of the worst "puzzles" in the game. And the Miyamoto fight at the end is such garbage. I think I beat him only because he got stuck on geometry somewhere. Ugh, Daikatana sucks. Let's reinstall and play it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 56  Next