| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quick Fix Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Bonnie480 wrote:
Is there a ton of seitan recipes in this book?

I wouldn't say a ton. She has a nice balance between tofu, seitan and bean dishes as well as a couple of quinoa salads. Off the top of my head, I can't say if she has any tempeh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Not really, just a few. But in the section of 'stovetop suppers' there are seitan, tofu and tempeh recipes, and a lot of them would be easy to change out the protein if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I tried a couple more recipes from this book last week.

White bean linguine pesto pasta (or called something like that)
It was very dissapointing. Too much raw garlic (I NEVER say that!) and besides that it tasted kind of blah. Not terrible, but really boring. We ate it though.

Curry Chickpea Pitas
These were awesome! I made them almost exactly to the recipe, but added some ginger in there. Made the patties, and they tasted kinda weird on their own. Too much like the spices I guess? anyway, once I added the chutney-mayo, put on a pita with some lettuce they were AWESOMESAUCE. Omni-approved as well! and only 90 calories per patty! I was going to eat 2 of them, but they were really really filling, I only needed one. Leftovers were as good as the night before (just heated the patty up in the microwave slightly)

Oh, and chutney-mayo? how have I never had this before! It was as simple as mixing mayo and a mango chutney. I used the Trader Joe's Mango Ginger Chutney, and it was so freaking good.

Next time I make these, I will double and freeze some to bake later for a 10 minute meal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Made the Tuscan vegetable tart tonight. Sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, roasted peppers, green onions on top of a white bean/caper mash, all topped with ground pine nuts and sitting in a puff pastry shell. With a glass of wine and a salad, it was dinner bliss.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've made the basic pizza dough = easy!
Indian shepherds pie: amazeballs, as well as the cauliflower chickpea curry.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the chipotle chocolate black bean chili (or whatever it's called) and it's delicious! I made corn muffins to go with it = perfection.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I need to cook more out of this book...I keep making the same recipes (the Red lentil and Chard soup and the Lemony Cous Cous Pilaf)

That cous cous dish, the first one in the entree section is so good and so fast. and HUGE servings! I have leftovers for the rest of the week.

I really need to try that Indian Shepherds pie and the chilli. Next week. I swear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the southwest quinoa with corn and pinto beans last night. So good! I love dishes like this that are fast, easy, tasty, and healthy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the barbecue pinto-portobello sandwiches for dinner a couple of nights ago and they were really good! I had to add more molasses and agave nectar to mine for my preferred level of sweetness, but that is very much a personal preference type thing. Depending on the type of barbecue sauce served in your region, you might have been totally fine with it. Anyway, I really liked that she used shredded portobellos in this recipe for a kind of "pulled" type texture that you might get in a non-vegan sandwich. I would have never thought of that! I also liked that these sandwiches weren't overly sloppy... the filling mostly stayed on the bun.

I have a couple more recipes that I'm supposed to make this/next week, like the deconstructed banh-mi salad and the muffuletta pizza. When those get made, I'll report back!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

love this cookbook! so far I've made the following and all have been awesome:

jerk seitan and vegetable skillet (I subbed tofu for the seitan)
artichoke and bell pepper tapenade on toast (served cold mixed in with elbow macaroni)
sweet and spicey tempeh (subbed tofu and added more veg)
vietnamese tofu wraps (subbed lettuce for the cilantro, one of my hubby's favorites!)
burrito scramble (we used chipotles/adobo instead of green chiles)
moroccan vegetable packets

the only one i wasn't crazy about was the mediterranean quesadillas, it was tasty and edible, just not something i think i would go out of my way to make again, hubby did like it though ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Silvergirl wrote:
Bonnie480 wrote:
Is there a ton of seitan recipes in this book?

I wouldn't say a ton. She has a nice balance between tofu, seitan and bean dishes as well as a couple of quinoa salads. Off the top of my head, I can't say if she has any tempeh.

there are some recipes that call for tempeh but i've subbed tofu without any problems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've made a ton of things from this cookbook (it's my go-to cookbook and probably my most used one) and most of them are detailed earlier in this thread but my favorite is probably the Sweet Potato-Spinach Soup. The Sicilian Stuffed Shells are excellent too. And I really like that Chard and Red Lentil soup, though like Chicki, I make it too much...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm cooking from this book a lot lately! Just made BBQ pinto-portobello sandwiches and they were really fast and delicious. Highly recommend for a weeknight meal. I'm thinking of modifying the recipe slightly (maybe thicken it with a little cornstarch) and using it as a base for tacos, along with guac, lettuce, salsa, etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm 

The day before yesterday I made the Chickpea and Spinach-Artichoke Crostini for the first time. Good and surpisingly filling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made the Indian Shepherds Pie last night...it was ok but something was missing. I had almost doubled all the spices (I always do that for pretty much every recipe I make from a book).

It was however, better today for leftovers! This was a make-ahead bake, but I didn't make ahead, I just baked it right after cooking the components. Maybe it needed a day to let the flavors meld?

Anyway, I loved the IDEA of the pie, I might try making it again with way tweaked ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I used fire roasted tomatoes in that shepherd's pie and I thought that made it extra good.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

pandacookie wrote:
I used fire roasted tomatoes in that shepherd's pie and I thought that made it extra good.

Yeah, that might help! I always have fire-roasted tomatoes in my pantry too.

you know, I thought it was such a good idea...just missing something. My partner agreed. Honestly, the mashed potatoes/cauliflower on top did nothing for me either. It was pretty bland. Maybe I could make the potatoes next time with the rest of the coconut milk from the recipe (since it called for only one cup, I had a lot of the can left over)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm 

Chicki wrote:
I need to cook more out of this book...I keep making the same recipes (the Red lentil and Chard soup and the Lemony Cous Cous Pilaf)

That cous cous dish, the first one in the entree section is so good and so fast. and HUGE servings! I have leftovers for the rest of the week.

I made the couscous dish for the first time last week. It was pretty good and I'll probably make it again sometime, but it's not one of my top favorites from this cookbook.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

the shepherds pie tastes better the next day (and longer you let it sit).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:30 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
the shepherds pie tastes better the next day (and longer you let it sit).

That's good to know if I ever make it.

I made three recipes from Quick Fix Vegan in the past week or so. Shortcut Mushroom Risotto, Lebanese "Sleek" and Rotini with 10 Minute Tomato Olive Sauce.

Shortcut Mushoom Risotto -- This was a new one to me. It was okay, but not wow. It did have a texture somewhat similar to Risotto but I can make real Risotto with Arobrio Rice very quickly in the pressure cooker, thanks to Lorna Sass's techniques in Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure and The Complete Vegetarian Kitchen, which I prefer and recommend to vegan risotto lovers. The latter cookbook is actually vegan.

Lebanese "Sleek" -- Also a new one for me, and one I liked a lot. I love the combination of kale and black eyed peas. I bet it would be good with fava beans too. I used Za'atar spice mix which is comprised of very different spices than the homemade substitute mix Robertson recommends to those who can't find Za'atar or Baharat spice mixes. I think I'd like to try to homemade spice mix sometime just to see what the kale, black eyed peas and bulgur would taste like with those, but this is quite good with the Za'atar.

Rotini with 10 Minute Tomato Olive Sauce -- I've made this before, always with San Marzano crushed tomatoes, and it always tastes incredible. I wish there weren't so much oil (what with 3/4 cup kalamata olives and 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil), but it is sooooo yummy. My husband can't get enough of it either. He told me this morning that I should make a double batch of that sauce next time!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 pm 

Last week I made the Green Chile Tofu Migas and the White Beans with Mushrooms and Sauerkraut. They were both okay, with the latter especially considering that I don't like sauerkraut or vegan sour cream, and don't particularly are for dill either. For a dish that contained all three of those ingredients, it was surprisingly pretty good.

What prompted me to make it was a decision to go through the "Stovetop Suppers" section and slowly but surely make every recipe in that section that I hadn't made before. We'll see if I stick with that resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

in the stove top suppers section, hubby & I have made and loved... i really need to go through this section more too, this is one of my fave vegan cookbooks

the jerk seitan and veg skillet (page 48)
*we used tofu instead

indonesian veg and tofu scramble (page 51) OMG, love this scramble. as a relatively new vegan i had previously tried a couple of other scramble recipes and was nervous that i didn't love them. this one i do. it is soooo good!

sweet and spicy tempeh (page 61)
*we used tofu instead, and added carrot and broccoli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
in the stove top suppers section, hubby & I have made and loved... i really need to go through this section more too, this is one of my fave vegan cookbooks

the jerk seitan and veg skillet (page 48)
*we used tofu instead

indonesian veg and tofu scramble (page 51) OMG, love this scramble. as a relatively new vegan i had previously tried a couple of other scramble recipes and was nervous that i didn't love them. this one i do. it is soooo good!

sweet and spicy tempeh (page 61)
*we used tofu instead, and added carrot and broccoli

Thanks. I've made the jerk seitan and veg skillet in the past and yes, it's really good. The only downside is that I found it to be one of the more time-consuming recipes in the book.

I have plans to make the Indonesian scramble this week so I'll let you know how that turns out. Do you mash the tofu for that, or cube it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

with the indonesian scramble, i'm pretty sure we just crumble the tofu into small pieces in our hands. i plan on making it again later this week, i just need to pop into earth fare so i can pick up some baby bok choy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
with the indonesian scramble, i'm pretty sure we just crumble the tofu into small pieces in our hands. i plan on making it again later this week, i just need to pop into earth fare so i can pick up some baby bok choy.

Thanks! Which brand of hoisin sauce do you use?

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next