| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 506  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

linanil wrote:
Tofulish, I see your problem. You need to marry me.

Me too! Let's all marry Tofulish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:01 pm 
WRETCHED

choirqueer wrote:
linanil wrote:

And then she can make us waffles! Waffles for all!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 pm 
ugh

choirqueer wrote:
linanil wrote:

Mmhmm. I would definitely eat whatever you're cooking, Tofulish.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 pm 
And you never will.

I want to be a sister-spouse in the Tofulish home!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 pm 
Semen Strong

We need a vegan commune. We really do. Could you imagine how well we'd eat? And how many pithy and cute crafty objects we'd be surrounded with?

My kid is doublefisting broccoli, so she can join, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm 
And you never will.

PPKommune - if you build it, they will come.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:50 pm 
Semen Strong

poopiebitch wrote:
PPKommune - if you build it, they will come.

So its like a pink, glittery dildo in the park?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:57 pm 
And you never will.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
When I worked with the exotic vet we still use, he and another vet would routinely stay late and take care of small animals that parents brought in but would refuse to pay for. They also sometimes paid for meds or supplies out of their own pockets. They knew the parents wouldn't spend anything for "just" a hamster, parakeet, guinea pig, etc. The people thought that a "cheap" animal should have a $10 vet bill or something, or, mostly, they took the animal in for show to shut their kid up but didn't really care.

But, you know, I mostly just feel sorry for these people. What a sad, miserable existence to have such a puny, hard heart. My pets have always made my heart grow bigger; they miss out on that.

Yes, this makes me so mad. People at work made fun of me for paying $300 to have a tumor removed from my hamster. The tumor was necrotic, so it was either surgery or death. They called me a sucker for spending "so much on a rodent" (also, for a vet $300 is small potatoes).

My mom was complaining at her Bible club meeting that their blue and gold macaw was stressing her out from all his screaming (he's 40, was probably upset because they moved from CA to WA after living in one place for 25 years, poor guy!) and the members of her group asked if she would like for them to pray for him to die. Real Christianly, that group!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:02 pm 
And you never will.

couroupita wrote:
the members of her group asked if she would like for them to pray for him to die.

I... what?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
When I worked with the exotic vet we still use, he and another vet would routinely stay late and take care of small animals that parents brought in but would refuse to pay for. They also sometimes paid for meds or supplies out of their own pockets. They knew the parents wouldn't spend anything for "just" a hamster, parakeet, guinea pig, etc. The people thought that a "cheap" animal should have a $10 vet bill or something, or, mostly, they took the animal in for show to shut their kid up but didn't really care.

But, you know, I mostly just feel sorry for these people. What a sad, miserable existence to have such a puny, hard heart. My pets have always made my heart grow bigger; they miss out on that.

Yes, this makes me so mad. People at work made fun of me for paying $300 to have a tumor removed from my hamster. The tumor was necrotic, so it was either surgery or death. They called me a sucker for spending "so much on a rodent" (also, for a vet $300 is small potatoes).

My mom was complaining at her Bible club meeting that their blue and gold macaw was stressing her out from all his screaming (he's 40, was probably upset because they moved from CA to WA after living in one place for 25 years, poor guy!) and the members of her group asked if she would like for them to pray for him to die. Real Christianly, that group!

That's just awful! If you believe in prayer as an effective tool for getting stuff done, why would you pray for something to die just because it is a little annoying or inconvenient? Who would even think of that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know!! My mom and I were/are speechless. For some context, I know she was expressing regret that they had ever taken on a big responsibility like a macaw, but how about praying to find a family to rehome him with or something and not...death.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Wow. In college, I and my mother had the bright idea to get me a cockatiel. It was the beginning of summer. I brought the cockatiel home and within a few weeks, I developed hives all over my body. Should I mention it was summer and I was taking summer classes and working? I went to the doctor (which involved my mom driving 30 miles to pick me up, take me to the doctor near their house and then drive me back). Doctor told me it couldn't be the cockatiel, prescribes me steroids. I continue to be an itchy, hivey mess. After nearly 3 months of living with the bird, I decided enough was enough and begged my mom to take the bird while I tried to find a home. My mom took him in but we had a cat that was way too interested in him. My hives also disappeared as soon as he was out. I then found someone who had other birds and was happy to take him in with them. I'm not really fond of birds any more due to my experience BUT I can't imagine doing anything other than what I did although in hind sight, keeping him so long was probably a bad idea. Luckily my lungs didn't close up or anything due to the allergy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

wow, just wow. It's precisely because we predict that we would get a similarly horrible reaction that kept our mouths shut about having to shell out $600 to get our gerbil's tumor removed. The staff at the vet were fawning over us doing that for the gerbil, I got the impression that they had never dealt with anyone that did anything beyond just getting their small animals put down when they got sick.

All that being said, sadly his brother Lenny died suddenly shortly after Karl's surgery but Karl is still kicking a good 6 months later (he's about 3.5 now) so screw the folks that don't get it.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

Olives wrote:
couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That's just awful! If you believe in prayer as an effective tool for getting stuff done, why would you pray for something to die just because it is a little annoying or inconvenient? Who would even think of that?

Exactly. Why wouldn't you pray that the bird was no longer upset and started enjoying his new home?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I would be really worried about complaining about my husband to those people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I often get labeled as a crazy cat lady because Mar gets good food, vet visits and toys...Why is it crazy and not just pure love? Soooo....I have a tattoo of Mar's face on my arm and talk to cats...Still no problem! :P

I am tired of people who think that a justifiable option to a vet bill is killing it*. From injured dogs, to not picking up a cat from the pound, paying the fee to get out...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I would be really worried about complaining about my husband to those people.

Ha!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

couroupita wrote:
I know!! My mom and I were/are speechless. For some context, I know she was expressing regret that they had ever taken on a big responsibility like a macaw, but how about praying to find a family to rehome him with or something and not...death.

Jesus. Usually people respect spending vet money on parrots because they are expensive pets, which, of course, makes them worth more. I wonder if this argument would work on Molly since the "he is bigger than you, you twit!" argument fails.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

We helped a friend rehome her grandmother's Cockatoo Snowy after her grandmother died. Someone had thought a Cockatoo would be the perfect gift for an 82 year old woman.

Snowy is doing fine in her new home and loves being around other birds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm not a big fan of birds as pets, I just don't "get" them. So I just wont own pets.

But my husband is starting to use my previous comments of "birds don't have souls" as a reason for my BIL to not get one (said in jest.. mostly), as a reason why I should be comfortable eating chicken still.

No honey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Moon wrote:
I'm not a big fan of birds as pets, I just don't "get" them. So I just wont own pets.

Don't let lavawitch sic Molly on you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Birds are definitely unique. But they have such an amazing, enormous capacity for affection. One of the big things with birds though is that they are empathetic rather than sympathetic. Molly isn't going to come give me snuggles when I feel sad--she will just worry and fret and feel sad herself (to some degree). But if I give her snuggles that are just snuggly and affectionate, she will give them back to me threefold. You have to be really careful what emotions you project around them.

You also have to respect their attempts to integrate you into their flock, like always answering contact calls and following their rules. They have lots of rules. Molly gives me exactly 2 minutes to kiss her goodbye in the morning once I come upstairs. I get bitched at if I am late. How these develop is a mystery, but all 3 of our birds have these complex systems of rules with specific punishments meted out for failure to adhere.

People also think you are nuts because nobody believes half of this stuff unless they are also bossed around by a bird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Hehehehe, you are Molly's bisque.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's my dad. After all, HE is the one who takes naps in the basement to avoid her instead of putting her in lockdown. (he also complains we do too much for the birds sometimes. What a fraud)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 506  Next