| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veganizing Bread Recipes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm really getting into making my own bread. I know generally it's egg = flax seed egg, chia seed egg etc, but does bread need eggs period? Like would oil work? (some of these ask for 4 eggs, or whatever). When it comes to bread/baking i'm kind of ooshy about winging it.

Post subject: Re: Veganizing Bread Recipes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

What kind of breads are you making? Quick breads? Because most yeasted breads require no egg. There are plenty of vegan bread recipes out there. I'd just follow a recipe that is already vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am 
Chip Strong

I have had good luck with the artisan bread in 5 brioche recipes by using flax eggs or puréed silken tofu. The tofu yields a more tender dough, I think, and it doesn't leave the dark flecks. Both seemed to provide some richness. You could probably do soymilk or oil to replace the liquid, alternatively -- depends on the recipe and what effect you are going for. Bread certainly doesn't need eggs, but can benefit from the properties of eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:02 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Yeah, if you want to make yeast our sourdough breads, you don't need the eggs. The gluten that develops during kneading and resting does all the work. In enriched bread recipes (yeast breads made with milk, fat, sugar, etc. You can easily leave out the eggs, too and maybe just add a bit of additional liquid. But, like the others have said, it really depends on the recipe. Sometimes soy yoghurt or coconut milk does the trick. If you want, you can check out my blog. I used to make my own bread all the time and put the recipes on that site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it sounds like you should start by making some really simple yeasted breads to get a feel for the baking.
basically, practice with breads made from only yeast, flour, water and salt, and try different methods of baking to see how it all works. i personally prefer to make bread that rises overnight in the fridge, like this:
http://www.askchefdennis.com/2012/01/artisan-bread/.
i never use warm water, only cold-ish, to make sure I don't kill the yeast.

i find that experimenting with different ways of kneading, autolyse (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/tentips_8_autolyse), different raising rimes, how high humidity the oven has etc. to be a much better learning curve when it comes to bread, than starting out with the sweeter and less simple recipes.

if you want to change it up a bit, i recommend you make a foccacia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rosem ... salt_12392

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've been making breads for a bit now (okay a bit being about 3-4 months) :) and that's what was throwing me off, a lot of recipes (from all recipes - I'm thinking about making Finnish Pulla? whatever) bread, and they throw in "eggs" and I'm like... Why eggs? It's not necessary. I wasn't sure about the rule of thumb, (like of you nix the egg, how much liquid to add). I'm not adverse to leaving it out (or using a flax egg), it just mystified me. :)

(when I find a few that I'm specfically contemplating, I'll post it). :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Flax "eggs" have a strong taste which might not be good in a dessert bread, but: Mix 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water (per "egg") and let stand for 2 minutes.
Silken tofu "egg" - whiz until smooth in a blender. 1/4 cup will equal 1 egg.
You can also used 1/4 c. mashed banana or applesauce - both are especially good for sweetened breads.
Or, if you're lazy, use Ener-G egg replacer, following directions on package.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

daisysunshine wrote:
I wasn't sure about the rule of thumb, (like of you nix the egg, how much liquid to add). I'm not adverse to leaving it out (or using a flax egg), it just mystified me.

One egg equals 1/4 cup of liquid.

I personally don't think eggs add anything to yeast dough. In fact, it's been my experience that eggs produce a dry bread that goes stale more quickly. I've always been quite happy to leave them out and I think the bread is better for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I agree with Smoothie -- I loooooooooooove Artisan Bread in 5. You keep a bucket of dough going all the time and then pull out a section, shape, rest, and bake. It's an incredible method.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

vgnwitch - thanks so much. I'll probably use an almond milk base :)

I'll check those links out too. We have a TINY fridge though so the fridge rising won't work for me I don't think.(I've been taking out bread books form the library, but man they LOVE their salt).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Salt is pretty important in yeast bread because it helps regulate the activity of the yeast/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

karichelle wrote:
Salt is pretty important in yeast bread because it helps regulate the activity of the yeast/

Yes this. A certain percentage of salt is very important for how the dough 'behaves' (this does not only mean yeast activity but also gluten development) and also for the bread to keep longer and have a better crumb.

For Inspiration I can only recommend Yeastspooting to you. It is a huge weekly blog event with fantastic breads from all over the world being submitted all the time.

And I can only recommend to look into long fermentation and sourdough. Both not difficult at all and will produce SO MUCH BETTER bread than the quick/lots-of-yeast method.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:27 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i almost never use an egg replacer in bread (i make an EnerG type replacer) unless it's a heavy, dense bread.

i do love sourdough and the whole process but not everyone loves the taste- i'm the only one in the family that will eat it!! so much for the artesan bread in 5 thing- it had too much character for my family, and the bread is for them, not me.

we've had some good bread threads and if you know what you're looking for, i bet someone could point you that way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I never put egg replacer in my bread. I make sourdough and it's just the starter, flour, water and salt. I do it in my bread machine which makes everything very easy (not a special sourdough cycle, just a normal basic ancient machine).

My recipe here: http://cgvegan.wordpress.com/2012/05/28 ... h-starter/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Egg adds liquid and fat, which changes the consistency of the dough. Your finished bread with more fat in it will have a finer crumb and last longer before getting stale, than a bread without it.

Think of challah versus French bread. The French bread, like most peasant loaves, has no or very little fat. So you get coarse crumb, more chewy.

The challah, with lots of eggs, has a more cake-like consistency, smaller crumb, velvety, richer.

I always sub flaxseed meal and water. I'm guessing some oil and water would work. Maybe 2 TBS of each, for one egg. Or 3 TBS water, plus 1 TBS oil.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Subbing milk for some of the water will enrich in the same way, a little oil too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

check out Vegan Dad. he's been baking up a storm for like the last year and has a crapload of bread recipies.