| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tell me about your Christmas traditions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
I was back in my home town last week and because of this thread, I decided to help my mum put up her Christmas tree. We laughed at how forking ugly it is, and I texted my brother pictures of the hideous ornaments he made (including his infamous toilet paper roll angel) with captions like 'why do you hate us?' and 'you ruin everything'. Then we went out to start some Christmas shopping and mocked all the nicely decorated trees in the shop windows. And then after I left, Mum texted me photos of this horrible wreath I made from plastic bags when I was like six, which she'd dragged out and hung above the fireplace. I enjoy our completely tasteless Christmases.

I love everything about this.

LOL me too. I don't have any childhood ornaments or decorations. Sad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:49 pm 
And you never will.

It's that time of year again! I started thinking about what fun new stuff I want to do with poopieboy this year and I fondly remembered this thread, so I thought I'd give it a little bump to see if anyone else wants to share their Christmas traditions, old and new!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

One thing my mom used to do that I started doing for me, Brian, and his sister is: socks for Christmas. You get socks and then you throw them over your shoulder a la A Christmas Story. That only works for kids though if they're old enough to retain and act out scenes from movies.

We also started watching movies that are technically Christmas movies, last year was Gremlins and the year before that was Die Hard. Once again probably not for the kids, but maybe for you and Mr. Poopie on Christmas Eve, after the kid has gone to bed?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just realized my brother and I have a tradition of stealing from each other's stockings. It started when we were really young and now it's no longer even enjoyable and we don't live together so it's harder, but every year we try to be the one who sneakily makes away with the most loot from the other person's stocking. Yes, our family tradition is theft, what of it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:57 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I sew until Christmas eve and then sit and enjoy silence.
I will try to think of something more exciting.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:35 pm 
And you never will.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
We also started watching movies that are technically Christmas movies, last year was Gremlins and the year before that was Die Hard. Once again probably not for the kids, but maybe for you and Mr. Poopie on Christmas Eve, after the kid has gone to bed?

I was trying to convince Mr. Poopie that we should watch Jack Frost while stuffing the stockings, but he's not going for it.

Fee wrote:
Yes, our family tradition is theft, what of it?

My sisters and I have a (non-Christmas) tradition of cheating at any game we play together, and whoever got away with the biggest cheat at the end of the game wins.

pandacookie wrote:
I sew until Christmas eve and then sit and enjoy silence.
I will try to think of something more exciting.

You are super-woman, isn't that exciting enough? Besides, didn't you say last year that you eat vinegar pie and watch Chatty Man or something? That's a good tradition!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm super excited for Christmas this year! I don't know why really because I have no plans and also have no idea who, if anyone, I'll be spending the day with but I'M EXCITED Y'ALL. Gonna hang some stockings for me and Ginny and fill them Xmas eve, then act totally surprised in the morning!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I love that Mars! Love it.

I do massive amounts of baking and giving of baked goods. I mean, I do this all the time, but it is really out of control for the next month.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Mars- I'm going to be in Portland from December 6th-23rd, wanna do some Chrimble things?

My family has been making awkward attempts at finding new traditions since my dad left 6 years ago.....so maybe that's become a tradition in of itself!

One thing that I am doing which is awesome is doing a one day volunteer thing at the humane society to socialize dogs. So Nate and I will get to bounce around with canine/feline friends for hours.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

Christmas Eve is the only holiday I celebrate with family. We have the best time. We have Christmas music/movies on in the background and we each make our own pizza. After dinner we have cookies, and we play games. Boards games, or now we play Wii. Then later in the evening we open presents. Christmas Eve was always very special - just my parents and us kids. Christmas Day was shared w/extended family & friends. Everyone was always on their best behavior and it really had that magical feeling you want for Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm still trying to find my own adult traditions, but I always bake and have my car radio tuned to Christmas stations from around now until they stop doing it! I don't even have a tree yet, and I LOVE Christmas. :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This year we're going to go to these beautiful gardens less than a mile from our house that I've never visited! It will be sweet. It's just us two again this year and I'm thrilled. Hopefully our friend might join us later in the day again this year for dinner and a game of Pathfinder. Nerdmas!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I loved rereading this thread!
I still haven't decided what kind of things we will do withBabyPunk.
Probably not much this year since she'll only be 8 months.
I did tell my husband at some point I want to drive to a neighborhood that had a lot of lights and walk around to look at the lights. BP is at an age where looking at stuff is only trumped by cramming stuff into her mouth.

One of the things I realized we've been doing every year is torture the dogs while we open presents Xmas morning by making them wear their Xmas hats. One had a Santa hat he hates and the other has a set of antlers he seems to actually like. So my Xmas morning always involves ridiculously dressed dogs.

Xmas eve is usually spent with my family.

I haven't decided if we're getting a tree or not this year but I'll probably break down and do it.

My complaint is why are all the light up animals you put on your lawn so expensive??? I want an army of light up lawn animals damnit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:

My complaint is why are all the light up animals you put on your lawn so expensive??? I want an army of light up lawn animals damnit!

Me too! I want all the light up, inflatable, and moving lawn animals.

I'm kind of sad that my only replies to this thread have been comments about other peoples' contributions. The last few years things have been too weird and up in the air to develop any real traditions. And now that I'm working retail again it has screwed with the plans even more and even though I am excited for Christmas I also sort of want nothing to do with it.

I wish it was 5 years ago before we bought our house and no one was sick and I could do fun, relaxing Christmas eve and morning with my inlaws and then go elsewhere for Christmas dinner with my family, and drink all day and eat cookies and watch movies and be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:12 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So I bought these lights that I thought would be like this light I remember from my childhood... it looks like a little steel flame-shaped cut-out inside of glass, and when turned on, the metal bit flickers like candlelight. Well, they do this, but... it's SO ORANGE. Like, bright bright bright orange. I feel like my memory of it is more white, maybe a little orange mixed in there... Hmm. Yeah I don't think I can get myself to like them. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:31 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love this thread. I'm super excited for Christmas this year. My twin sons have a birthday three days after and my partner and I are starting to griswald out. I just want them to remember this time of year as being amazing, like Christmas exploded in our house (a couple more years of post xmas clearance scores/thrifting and I'll be there). They're turning three this year, so I think that they're really going to "get" it. I'm so excited.

You can get a permit here (CO) to get a tree from the forest, so we're gonna do that. We've been doing advent calendars. I always loved them as a kid. Have seen a few cool diy ones on pintrest that are activity based, which seems really fun.

They both LOVE trains, one is completely obsessed, so we're gonna take them on a local santa train. It's gonna cost a small fortune but I know that they'll be stoked to go on a train ride and hang with santa. I remember doing something similar on NJ transit as a kid, and thought that it was amazing.

My family didn't have too many traditions, but I loved our stockings. We'd get certain treats only on xmas. It's funny to think of now but my mom always put in baby bell cheeses. I loved them but I think that it was mostly because the wax outer wrapper looked like pacman (it was the 80's). I think though that another huge part of the charm was having a special treat only on that day. I want to do something similar with my kiddos but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

My best friend's family had a tradition that I've never seen anywhere else but loved as a kid. Everyone would get together on xmas eve and decorate the tree with candy. They would just hang some, but both of her parents were great artists and they would make all sorts of cool little ornaments out of candy too. My favorite were little planes with lifesaver wheels and wings made from sticks of chewing gum, they actually looked really good. The rule was that no one could eat any of the candy until New Year's Eve, when they had a huge party. It was just a great tradition that was very welcoming and fun.

I've never taken it to quite that level but I have had fun over the years making my own decorations and whatnot. I've more often than not been pretty broke around the holidays and just decorated with things that I've had or made fun cheapo things like popcorn strands. I'm a fan of toasty holiday beverages, so I'm looking forward to hot cocoa with the boys and mulling some cider (makes the house smell so good!). Baking is also something that I'm looking forward to. I need to start cranking out cookies and biscotti for all of the folks who've helped us out over the year.

This thread has re inspired me. I need to go check out my pintrest christmas board and crank out some diy decorations/start searching out christmas specials to play for the boys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I discovered this year that I'm completely incapable of not doing Santa. Ethically I don't like the idea, but way back in October things just started flying out of my mouth like, "You better go on the potty so Santa will bring you more presents!" It's terrible, but really effective lol. Now that Elf on the Shelf came out after Thanksgiving, I can get him to do anything! I guess it is so ingrained in me from my childhood I just can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We don't celebrate Christmas on December 25th but on January 6th, Epiphany. I work Christmas Day -it's usually one of my busiest days - so we decided to do gifts and dinner then instead. We also did that when I was a kid because my mom would go visit my grandma in England while I was in Boston with my cousins and my dad would stay in NYC. I want a tree this year. I also want outdoor lights. We have indoor ones up year round.

I also share the desire for full sized light up animals. I want Rudolph!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Ever since I was a little kid, my family would watch the old stop animation Christmas shows every year. We would talk throughout the whole thing, making jokes at the characters' expense. My husband and I have continued this. Earlier this week, we watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and I realized that I actually genuinely enjoyed the show, but making fun of it is just too easy and too enjoyable not to do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I got married in the summer and this is our first Christmas we get to spend together! So I'm looking to start some new traditions! But here are some of my families traditions!

-Christmas Eve we always have a bug feast of mexican food! (I think I will keep this one!!)
-We each write a short Christmas story to read before bed on Christmas Eve
-We always get a new board game every year and play it!
-Gremlins movie screening on Christmas Eve
-My mum's Christmas Ice Cream that I'm attempting to veganize this year! (It was from a 1950's cookery book, it's made with whipped cream, coffee, cocoa, melted marshmallows, chopped nuts, rum soaked raisins & glacé cherries and it literally the best ice cream ever!)
-My sister and I always make a bajillion christmas cookies the week before!

I can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are more! Ha!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:55 am 
Nailed to the V

cat with a monocle wrote:
Ever since I was a little kid, my family would watch the old stop animation Christmas shows every year. We would talk throughout the whole thing, making jokes at the characters' expense. My husband and I have continued this. Earlier this week, we watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and I realized that I actually genuinely enjoyed the show, but making fun of it is just too easy and too enjoyable not to do.

We have a similar tradition, but not with Rudolph. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and the local public access channel would run this show every year called, I think, The Spirit of Christmas. The first half is the birth of Jesus story, but acted out with this absolutely hideous marionettes. The second half is Twas the Night Before Christmas, but again acted out with marionettes. The whole thing is so tacky and cheap-looking, we would just laugh and mock our way through the whole thing. Now I have kids of my own and don't live in Philly anymore, but I still watch that shiitake every year on You Tube. My kids are into it now and everything. I love its horridness.

We would always eat a healthy dinner of fried appetizers on Christmas Eve, so I tend to keep up that tradition. I normally give everybody in the family new pajamas on Christmas Eve, too, so we get to wear them that night and keep them on for Christmas morning. I always make monkey bread or cinnamon rolls for that morning, along with a savory-type casserole. Our other big tradition, which I really love, is that we won't go anywhere on Christmas. No family get-togethers to worry about, and we don't even get dressed sometimes. We just have a super-lazy day at home, using our new toys or watching Christmas movies.

Lastly, Chex Mix. It was a Christmas staple when I was growing up. I try to make it now, too, but it's not always easy or possible to find vegan Chex. I try using other cereals and it's just not the same. Alas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I would prefer to forget most of my childhood, but I do have some fond Christmas memories. We put our tree up around Dec 20th or so (never before the 15th and it came down on New Year's Day). It was a bit of a decorating party with eggnog and cookies and we insisted on hearing year after year where each of the old ornaments came from and who made them. We would make paper chains or string popcorn--handmade ornaments were always favored. We helped bake cookies for Santa. Everyone had a stocking, even the dogs. It was a highlight of Christmas morning to let the dogs 'open' their stockings. The best memories of all are of going with my grandmother to deliver bags of food to our local animal shelter on Christmas Eve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

KrisB wrote:
Everyone had a stocking, even the dogs. It was a highlight of Christmas morning to let the dogs 'open' their stockings. The best memories of all are of going with my grandmother to deliver bags of food to our local animal shelter on Christmas Eve.

Awwww, love it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was just thinking about my advent calendars. They're definitely a tradition for me, even though I am (supposedly) a grown-up now. My Nana had one when I was very small, and I remember visiting her house in December and being so excited to open the little doors. I loved it so much that she got me a couple of my own. They weren't the fancy kind with chocolate or gifts inside. Just little paper flaps that you opened to see the picture underneath. We moved to a new house when I was 10, almost 11. My mother assured me that I would make plenty of new friends on my new street, but I didn't. In fact, the only new friends I gained were the two elderly sisters who lived next door to us. I would go to their house and sit and talk with them a while, and I never left without an armful of books that they insisted I borrow. The younger sister (and by "younger" I mean about 80) was named Dorothy. Despite the age difference, we had a lot of hobbies and interests in common, and she was always giving me magazines or catalogs that she thought might interest me. One day, Dorothy asked me if I liked advent calendars. I told her that I did. A few days later, a new advent calendar appeared in my mailbox. After that, every year in late November, I would find an advent calendar either in the mailbox, or stuck in the fence between our houses. As she got older, Dorothy's memory began to fail. One of the first signs I noticed was that she didn't send me a birthday card or advent calendar. Eventually, she and her sister had to move into a nursing home. I still have all my advent calendars (13 of them!) and I still put them up every year and open the little doors every day. They remind me of my Nana and of Dorothy, and it just wouldn't feel like Christmas without them.