| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positivity and Feminism
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The Gulabi Gang is my favorite thing ever. They wear bright pink saris and fork up the patriarchy <3
http://www.gulabigang.in/index.html

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Comics Vs MisterE2009

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Emilie wrote:
lets have a Mad-Scientists-Walk to assess our hair's rights!!!?????

(I'm ready; that's my everyday look - I'm rather proud of it and it makes me laugh each time I see my face when entering the elevator)

I love it! And I'll be ready to go first thing any morning. I think a Mad=Scientist-Walk could only bring about good things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

When I worked at the Women's Center in college, the director & office manager were forever pushing against my understanding of the world and helping me to address my own privilege. Those two women were awesome positive influences. I also got the opportunity to mentor a younger colleague and help her think about her feminism in new ways. I think it's awesome when white folks can work on our privilege without putting a burden on POC to educate us and call us on our shiitake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Semen Strong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

^And SAVED.

I'm taking a Post-Colonial Theory course in Gender Studies, and my professor is super nice, didn't mind that one of the articles we had to read this week is really hard to read and understand and she finally explained post-structuralism in an accessible way. I finally get it now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

This woman is awesome, and I love that her amazing attitude got someone to actually think about and apologize for their racist/sexist shiitake.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:
This woman is awesome, and I love that her amazing attitude got someone to actually think about and apologize for their racist/sexist shiitake.

That was wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

While wandering on Skepchick, I stumble upon this refreshing video that made me smile pretty hard :D

I can't embed it here because it's on Vimeo, so here's the link: Lindy West at Back Fence PDX. To sum it up, it's Lindy West telling you how she was able to spot the insecurities of the trolls attacking her.
Elyse on Skepchick wrote:
[...] Lindy cries. Because of trolls. She cries every day. Or at least, she did… before she unlocked the secrets of the horrible trolls of the internet. And it’s not pretty. And it’s not particularly shocking. But hearing her tell this story makes me love her harder than I already did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

A list of horror movies without sexual violence, for your non-triggering Halloween needs...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

aelle wrote:
A list of horror movies without sexual violence, for your non-triggering Halloween needs...

THANK YOU! I am a big time horror fan and finding movies that aren't horrible towards women is so hard for this genre.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

aelle wrote:

Words can not express how handy this will be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

AgentCooper wrote:
While wandering on Skepchick, I stumble upon this refreshing video that made me smile pretty hard :D

I can't embed it here because it's on Vimeo, so here's the link: Lindy West at Back Fence PDX. To sum it up, it's Lindy West telling you how she was able to spot the insecurities of the trolls attacking her.
Elyse on Skepchick wrote:
[...] Lindy cries. Because of trolls. She cries every day. Or at least, she did… before she unlocked the secrets of the horrible trolls of the internet. And it’s not pretty. And it’s not particularly shocking. But hearing her tell this story makes me love her harder than I already did.

Yes, everyone should watch this! I laughed so hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

i love this thread...

i love having conversations with my friends who are having kids, especially boys. there is so much pressure to gender your child from day one, with the gendering being especially strict on boys. i had a great conversation with my bff about how the fear of boys playing with girls' toys is actually a fear of them being feminized...because being a woman is the worst thing a person can be, right? it was such a great conversation and she was totally able to see how much we shiitake on femininity in such subtle yet problematic ways.

next step...gender queering.

feminism i love you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

http://thehawkeyeinitiative.tumblr.com/

Quote:
"How to fix every Strong Female Character pose in superhero comics: replace the character with Hawkeye doing the same thing."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

aelle wrote:

LOVE this!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This post from The Vagenda is amazing, I love it.

http://vagendamag.blogspot.ca/2013/01/new-year-new-you.html

Full post:
Spoiler: show
And so, a new year begins. Magazines and newspapers are running features about New Year’s resolutions, which seem to equate to losing weight, dropping a dress size, getting more toned and running further in pursuit of the perfect body. Heat piles on the heat with photos of ‘slebs who have gained weight over Christmas, and what they should do about it. Closer gets close enough to point out muffin tops and post-Christmas acne breakouts. Reveal can exclusively reveal the “diet secrets” of some women who lost weight once, and who are willing to help you ‘cut the flab’ (my guess is by eating less and doing more, although I suppose it might also be speed.) We have enjoyed ourselves for the prescribed few days in December when society allows us to lie on the sofa eating handfuls of Celebrations in our pyjamas. Back to the treadmill, ladies, lest the Circle of Shame get a glimpse of your 2013 love handles!

A quick straw poll on Facebook (by Daily Fail standards, I’m pretty sure that counts as science) shows that a desire to shrink their bodies is the single biggest basis for women’s New Year’s resolutions – to lose a stone, to drop a dress size, to fit into that pair of jeans again. Even the women who talked about exercise apparently in terms of a hobby – to go running more, to get to the gym – would say in the next breath that they ultimately hoped to lose weight from doing it. The prevalence of weight loss desires in resolutions was depressing, not least because many of these women were of normal weight to begin with. And with an onslaught of women’s magazines screaming out at every angle that two slices of bread is just too much (where, oh where is the joy in a ‘breadless sandwich’?), it’s not exactly surprising either.

Standing in the supermarket aisle and running a well-trained eye across the racks of fad diets that appear on the cover of every magazine in January, you’re greeted with a downright shiitake version of womanhood. These rags would have you believe that the most important way to improve life is to battle a couple of pounds of adipose tissue, and to battle it with ferocity. They’re actually well on their way to telling you that you do believe it already. In reality, however, while you’re counting the calories in cucumber, you could be learning Mandarin, improving your welding skills, reading, running for public office, doing voluntary work, bolting up the career ladder, raising money for charity, mowing the lawn, making people laugh, making love, going somewhere you’ve never been, singing loudly to daft songs, hanging out with your mates. You could be living your life. You could be changing your life. And not ‘your life’ in terms of the pinchable skin on your left thigh.

Seriously. In the time you spend fretting about miso and pomegranate seeds versus chips and gravy, in the time you dither over whether you’ve “earned” a piece of toast, you could be busy changing the world. Women are almost invisible in some political circles, and Cosmopolitan wants you to become even smaller? fork that royally with a leftover Christmas cracker.

At the end of December, equalities minister Jo Swinson wrote an open letter to magazine editors asking them to ‘shed the fad diets and fitness myths’ in their January editions, arguing that they pose health risks and destroy body confidence. Now, technically Swinson is part of the coalition government, so praising her efforts feels a little like adopting the least offensive-looking creature that you just watched crawl out of Mordor: there’s always the possibility that one of its cronies might come for you in the night and bite you on the asparagus for your kindness, hard. However, the woman has a serious point. These New Year issues are nothing to do with promoting a healthy lifestyle; they are to do with capitalising on the insecurities that you harboured throughout 2012, selling diets to you direct from the latest C-list celebrity’s PR, and then reaping the financial benefit from advertising space for liposuction in the back. Secretly, they really, really want to see you cry in the Primark changing rooms when you can’t get a size ten pair of jeggings past your cankles.

So here’s my resolution. I will be bigger and louder in 2013 than ever before. I will be braver. I will seize the day. I will make a difference to the shape of the world, not the size of my pants. I will focus my energies on helping to make things better for people, not eating less pastry. I will protest when people say society is fine the way it is, not when they say I’m fine the way I am. Because I am, and it’s not.

And because, you know what? Pastry is forking delicious.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Love this project: thereconstructionists.org

Quote:
The Reconstructionists, a collaboration between illustrator Lisa Congdon and writer Maria Popova, is a yearlong celebration of remarkable women — beloved artists, writers, and scientists, as well as notable unsung heroes — who have changed the way we define ourselves as a culture and live our lives as individuals of any gender.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The number of reported rapes in Vancouver has dropped 10% since the launch of a campaign directed at rapists! Correlation isn't causation, of course, but it still makes me hopeful.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... does-work/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Not sure if this belongs here, but I thought it was pretty cool and it is a positive thing!

I was reading the Comedy Bang Bang forum post about the most recent episode and some of the people there were complaining about how the voice of one of the female guests was whiny and annoying. The host of the show came in and nipped that in the bud, and pointed out that when a male comic plays a character on the show it's called hilarious but when a female comic plays a character she's called annoying. I listen to a lot of comedy podcasts and there are SO many internet comments where people complain about female guests, either saying they're not funny or their voice is grating. I'm glad that sexism in comedy is getting more attention and that comedians themselves are calling people on their BS.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:39 pm 
Semen Strong

A SAHD who isn't an incompetent buffoon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm really enjoying reviewing this thread and checking out some of the blogs mentioned. Growing up in the 70's was a great time to get "girls-can-be-anything-they-want" messages. I've been a long-time subscriber to bisque Magazine, as well as Bust. Hell, the beginning years of Sassy (when I was in my 20's)! --all these things have helped me form my feminist ideals.

Something here jogged my memory about a letter to the editor my husband wrote 8 or 9 years ago. (And he is not particularly fond of writing anything, anytime-it's so not his thing). Some jackass had written in to the Sioux City Journal talking shiitake about gay-marriage and the overall lack of morals today blah blah blah; and how the bottom line of a "real" marriage was procreation. Dan fired off a missive back that pretty much tore this woman a new crasshole, defending gay marriage, partnerships without marriage, and child-free couples in one fell swoop. We were both bar tending at the time, and got positive comments from some surprising corners.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aw! That video was adorable. My dad raised my sister and I from 5th grade on. Stay at home dads rule.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next