| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 164  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am 
Impressive boner

Thoes who view weightlifting as a male-only activity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

the guy i have a crush on who brings this article up over drinks...

http://feminspire.com/why-i-never-play-hard-to-get/

sometimes i'm the biggest source of the patriarchy in my own life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 am 
Inflexitarian

Wait, what's the problem with that article or liking a guy who likes it? It's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, I actually thought that was a really good article.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

quark wrote:
Wait, what's the problem with that article or liking a guy who likes it? It's awesome.

Yes, I don't understand why that article would be a problem? I agreed with every word of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I thought she was saying that
Quote:
sometimes i'm the biggest source of the patriarchy in my own life
which to me meant that she was playing hard to get against her feminist ideals and her crush was unintentionally reminding her of that.

Maybe I'm stretching...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 am 
Tofu Pup

quark wrote:

zero problem. i LOVED the article and that he brought it up.

i wasn't playing hard to get, which is something that i'm unlearning, and it was super encouraging that he brought it up. he taught me how much of the patriarchy is still hiding in me...gotta get rid of it all!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:50 am 
Inflexitarian

Ooooh, I got it... you mean he challenged you to be a better feminist?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am 
Tofu Pup

quark wrote:

exactly!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 pm 

c.dot wrote:
quark wrote:

exactly!

Ah, sorry, I get it. It's been a long day!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yesterday in one of my classes, each student gave presentations on a research paper that we found interesting. My professor proceeded to highlight which of the women who authored the papers he has dated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

A human skeleton was found in a rural part of Croatia a few days ago. It turns out it is the girl who disappeared 17 months ago after a truck driver gave her a lift (he's in jail already, sentenced to 40 years, the maximum jail sentence here).

People here show disbelief that young girls still do hitch-hike (in a rural area where there are no bus lines). The message they send is "do not hitch-hike". The message is not "do not rape" (or "do not kill"). Women scorn other women and girls for being scantily clad in public, or for being in public at all, for drinking alcohol. Rape culture.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I started elementary school, it was 3 km from my home, and no bus line. My mother would drive me in one direction, but in the other, I would accept a lift from anyone. Once I rode with a truck driver I'd never met before. Nothing ever happened to me, I just met some nice people.

Then, a classmate got raped. At her home. By her grandfather.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

In my Science, Technology, and Politics class there are 6 female students and 34 male students by my very rough estimate. Of the fourteen people who are taking the opportunity to present their research to the class for extra credit, I will be the only female student compared to thirteen male students. That is not a good ratio!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Jigglypuff wrote:
In my Science, Technology, and Politics class there are 6 female students and 34 male students by my very rough estimate. Of the fourteen people who are taking the opportunity to present their research to the class for extra credit, I will be the only female student compared to thirteen male students. That is not a good ratio!

It's interesting - in my college physics and math classes, there was a ratio of 5:1 men:women throughout the 4 years. The women always sat at the front of the classroom and we didn't participate as much as the men, but we got the best grades and the men always came to us for help (after a couple semester, everybody figures out who's doing the most work). It's not that surprising to me that women wouldn't volunteer to put themselves in front of a classroom of men, but I bet the women are working extra hard in your class.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

"You're a girl, so you naturally have a disadvantage when playing video games."

No no no

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I kind of want to smack people who are all like "OMG I AM SO FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" Why do we have to bond by all agreeing that our bodies aren't what they want them to be.

I really want to respond by saying "OMG MY VAGINA DOESN'T SHOOT FIRE!"

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Today, I got an invitation to Brian's cousins baby shower. Not we, I. I see her once a year at Christmas, and i'm not even sure I talked to her last year. Now, i've only been to one baby shower in my adult life and for that everyone was invited regardless of penis ownership, but in general I don't understand this. If Brian isn't invited, clearly it's because it's for the wimmins. So is the father of the baby going to be there? Are the grandpas invited? Is the one whose house its at going to make himself scarce? I know that men have nothing to do with making or raising babies, so i'm probably just talking crazy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

On the radio this morning, the topic of discussion was "is it acceptable for a woman to not shave her legs during the winter?" I was just like, really? Have you run out of things to talk about?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GymClassZero wrote:
"You're a girl, so you naturally have a disadvantage when playing video games."

No no no

No one has a natural disadvantage to playing video games! Unless you're blind, or are born without hands or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Right?! I've played games since I was little and it never occurred to me to start being terrible at them because I'm a girl.

Also, I have a friend who frequently comments on women looking like whores, like on the covers of magazines, because they're showing their stomachs or have short shorts on. And I point out the dozens of magazines with shirtless men that he managed to ignore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

starrynight87 wrote:
On the radio this morning, the topic of discussion was "is it acceptable for a woman to not shave her legs during the winter?" I was just like, really? Have you run out of things to talk about?

The other day we had "Do women need to get breast implants every twenty years?"

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Today, I got an invitation to Brian's cousins baby shower. Not we, I. I see her once a year at Christmas, and i'm not even sure I talked to her last year. Now, i've only been to one baby shower in my adult life and for that everyone was invited regardless of penis ownership, but in general I don't understand this. If Brian isn't invited, clearly it's because it's for the wimmins. So is the father of the baby going to be there? Are the grandpas invited? Is the one whose house its at going to make himself scarce? I know that men have nothing to do with making or raising babies, so i'm probably just talking crazy.

My parents wanted to have a baby shower when I was pregnant, and it is not my thing at all, but I appreciated the sentiment and agreed as long as it was made very clear that it was for both me and partner, not just me, and that everyone was invited regardless of gender. It was really just a bunch of my parents' friends who came since I don't even have any friends who still live where I grew up and I'm on the other side of the country. My mom swears she invited both halves of every couple, but not one single man came (except my partner and my dad). It ended up being like 25 women congratulating me on "my" baby and ignoring my partner, who was going to be our baby's main care provider while I'm in school.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Oh man, baby showers (and bridal showers for the same reason) always get to me. I have so many more guy friends than girlfriends, and I could not understand why I couldn't invite them. Instead, I had to invite their girlfriends/partners/wives, and have a super awkward time. My husband really wanted to be there too, and he was completely forced out of his own house by our moms for the festivities. Weird and stupid. We had a "jack & jill" (and we won't get started on that name) wedding shower that was totally awesome. I don't see what's the problem with that.

We just got back from a playdate with a few families, and one of the girl babies was just starting to crawl. And what was all the dad could say about it? "Time to load up the shotgun! The boys are going to be coming after her now!" Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm 

flavabean wrote:
We just got back from a playdate with a few families, and one of the girl babies was just starting to crawl. And what was all the dad could say about it? "Time to load up the shotgun! The boys are going to be coming after her now!" Ugh.

Oh my god. WHAT?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 164  Next