| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for the kind words. I said to Mr Refinnej, as we talked a good talk on the eve of her birthday, that I think part of my stress over making her birthday so super-duper fantastic was that I still had lots of guilt about choices surrounding her birth. If I had labored longer and maybe not had an epidural then maybe she would've been perkier at birth...maybe she would've been able to breastfeed (because we wouldnt've been separated)..maybe we wouldn't have the insane sleep issues we have now...etc etc. I know in my head that I'm just going down the road to crazy, but it's been really hard to not look for a place to lay "blame" for lack of a better word. Mr reminded me that we made the choices we thought were best. She's so happy most of the time that it's just dawning on me that we must be doing something right. The girl can belly laugh better than Santa.

So, I'm just feeling set free from birth guilt and today...she falls off the changing table. Literally three seconds my attention lapsed because there was something in my eye. She leaned over a bit and crash. The look on her face was awful awful awful. I took her to the Minor Injuries Unit (Urgent Care, more or less) and they said she seemed fine. Karl came from work and met us there, and she spent a couple of hours in the waiting room, talking to everyone, walking us around, butt shuffling, playing with toys...seriously having a good time. All of this without an afternoon nap (which was where we had been headed after the diaper change). The kid is seriously forking amazing. The nurse practicioner we saw was impressed that she was so interested in the model skeleton they have on display.

Oi, I thought the first year was hard, but today....that was the worst. I thought I was prepared. Like every kid I've ever worked with has had some serious bump/fall. Once, it was when I was the carer...Baby G tripped and fell at the playground and busted open her chin. Urgh...I just want to go wake her back up and kiss her head some more.

The nurse/receptionist today thought we'd made a mistake on her birthdate on the form...I wonder often how tall she is going to be as an adult. While she's still really heavy too, her arms and legs aren't so roly, it's mostly just her belly, which she enjoys sticking out and patting immensely.

And...(sorry this is soo long), I forgot one of the best parts of her birthday. When we came back from her birthday playdate on Saturday evening, there was this cat meowing around by where we park the car. We'd seen it earlier in the day just down the path and noticed her because she was new to us, and a very pretty calico. It was raining and when we opened the door, the cat ran inside! We gave her some love and planned to set her on her way, but she didn't want to go and then we noticed that she seemed to be nursing one of her paws. We tried to see if any of the neighbors knew where she was from, but no luck. She didn't seem to be in any dire pain, so we decided to let her stay till the morning as it was now raining pretty hard. Freya, who loves cats, was ecstatic! When she woke up the next morning and the cat was still with us, I think she stopped breathing for a second. Later, the cat was hanging out on the stairs because it's warm there, and Freya (who basically doesn't crawl, mind you) started scaling the stairs! When K took her in the car to the vet to get scanned for a microchip, we stood outside waving goodbye, but then Freya would stop and point her finger at the car and say "no no no no".

Bumps on the head, a fall, loads of birthday presents, a cat coming and going, Pappa taking a day off work, going to see dinosaurs at the museum, spaghetti, first bites of cake, flooding sending all the ducks away (floods all over here)...it's been a real roller coaster of a few days for her!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Happy birthday Freya! Did you guys keep the cat? Even though our sleep is still shitty, the last couple months have been great! I know that Freya will continue to be a joy to you even if sleep continues to elude you!

No real updates here. Grey is pretty much running but no words really yet. He has said some things a couple times, but nothing consistently. He does have very long babbling conversations but I have no idea what he is saying. He has changed his poop schedule to 4 am, so we have been up everyday by 4, I'm over it, but at least he is pooping! He is eating like a champ most days and we are still nursing. I'm looking into going back to work and I found an awesome Waldorf daycare if I do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aww. Sorry to hear about the fall. I'm glad Freya's okay! The Magician fell off the couch about two months ago and it was one of the worst moments of my life (though he was fine) in terms of terror and self hatred.

I'm glad you're feeling able to let go of some of your mom guilt too. I had PPD with E (after a quite uneventful natural birth) and still sometimes get sucked into the spiral of, does he do (whatever) because I did (whatever) and if so does that make me (whatever). And I do think of it as opening the door for the crazy lady in my head! But it's gotten better for me over time and I hope it's going to keep getting better for you as you see what a delightful person Freya is growing into.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 pm 

I'm so glad Freya is okay! What a scare. Babynut fell on thanksgiving...she was in our portable high-chair at the party we went to. My partner leaned over her to give her a kiss, and the chair (clamped to the table) slipped off. I kind of caught her, but she did hit her forehead on the way down and it left a bruise. You can see it on the pics thread! Of course this moment gave me the added bonus of yelling at my partner in front of a large group of people along with a hefty dose of fear/guilt.

Anyway, I'm glad she is okay and moving on past the birth trauma is also so difficult. We are about to pass the year mark and its been such a reflective time for me as well. I wish I could change just about everything about the birth, so I know that can be very difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

happy birthday freya! and happy birthing day !refinnej

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:
(Also it's freaking me the shiitake out to see all these birthdays go by. I remember watching all your babies being born and feeling like I was still going to be pregnant for an eternity!)

(eta: not literally watching them being born.)

Yes! In my mind, Leela and Freya are still 3 months old, so there's no way my baby is creeping up on one year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We are trying to work on Grey being ok by himself for a little while each morning. He has been waking up at 4, so not ok. Anyway, we play with him for a while then I have been leaving him once I know he is ok, has a clean diaper, etc. he usually cries for maybe 2 minutes then he plays with toys! I feel like I have been so reluctant his whole life to leave him either n his own or with other people because he might cry, but the truth is he gets over it quickly. And maybe I am wrong here, but I think it's good for us to all have some alone time. Just to be clear, I am leaving him for maybe ten minutes tops, but I think it's a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's great, littlebear! Definetly good for all of you. Bummer about the 4am wakeups though, ouch!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Well, Lydia is 19 days old and suffering through her first cold. It's miserable. I didn't sleep at all last night cause i had to keep her upright so she could breathe. And I'm anxious it's going to turn into RSV or something nasty. Mr. Bird was all like, how did she get sick? I knew we shouldn't have taken her out! And i was like, um, remember how her sister was recovering from croup the week Lydia was born and how basically the first thing she did upon meeting her was cough in her face? Sadly, it's no mystery how Lydia got sick. And she's probably going to spend a lot of time sick from picking up every nasty virus Tzipi brings home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:20 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry LB. My sister had a similar issue and while her son got sick A LOT in the first year of his life, he ended up fine. The only thing that was bad was that bc her second son hadn't had his vaccines yet the first time he got a fever, the MDs had to treat it like meningitis which was a nightmare.

I hope that things get better soon and that Lydia gets over her cold!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

littlebird wrote:
Well, Lydia is 19 days old and suffering through her first cold. It's miserable. I didn't sleep at all last night cause i had to keep her upright so she could breathe. And I'm anxious it's going to turn into RSV or something nasty. Mr. Bird was all like, how did she get sick? I knew we shouldn't have taken her out! And i was like, um, remember how her sister was recovering from croup the week Lydia was born and how basically the first thing she did upon meeting her was cough in her face? Sadly, it's no mystery how Lydia got sick. And she's probably going to spend a lot of time sick from picking up every nasty virus Tzipi brings home.

If it makes you feel any better, it either is or isn't RSV, but it can't "turn into" RSV. RSV is a specific virus (unlike pneumonia, which is really a symptom so something could escalate there). Malka had RSV at 2 months and it was really tough on all of us for about two weeks when she hardly slept, hardly ate, vomited frequently (from postnasal drip and swallowing mucus), etc., but we kept reminding ourselves that she would be fine and that she was resilient. Even at 19 days they're resilient. And it almost doesn't matter if it's specifically RSV, since the treatment will be based on symptoms rather than what virus you're dealing with (if an option comes up to have her tested to see if it's RSV or the flu or neither, I highly recommend that you do not consent to it - the test is very painful and doesn't actually impact treatment plans).

Have you tried wrapping her to you and sleeping upright on a recliner so you can both get some rest? We did this many times with good success. A humidifier in the room is also helpful for keeping the air warm and moist and not as aggravating to the system. If she's not nursing well because of stuffiness and soreness and you're worried about dehydration, giving her little droppers of milk might be helpful (the kind that come with baby medicine - here you can ask for them at the pharmacy and they'll give them out for free).

Just remember that each illness will make her immune system stronger and as long as she's eliminating waste somewhat frequently she's not starving or getting dehydrated. Beyond that and barring any escalation to the status of medical emergency, you can trust her body will figure it out. Sorry you have to go through this so early!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

oh yeah, sorry that wasn't clear. i know it's a specific virus, i just meant that lots of older kids get that virus without getting really really sick, so we can't be sure it is RSV unless she gets worse. she only started getting sniffly the night before, so i'm in that stage of kind of anxiously watching to see if her cough gets worse or if she gets dehydrated. i'm specifically worried because it was a pretty nasty cold even for Tzipi.... it gave her a couple days of croup and a 10 day abx prescription for her double ear infection. of course, it might not be the specific virus Tzipi had, it just seems likely since everyone else around her has been really good about not passing on germs.

she's doing this thing where she sleeps pretty well during the day though, because i have her propped up in the bouncy seat, so i think i'm going to try it tonight too. my mother made the oh so helpful suggestion of just moving her out of our room. thanks mom, not being able to HEAR my 2 week old baby choking on her own mucus is really going to help me get a restful night's sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebird wrote:
my mother made the oh so helpful suggestion of just moving her out of our room. thanks mom, not being able to HEAR my 2 week old baby choking on her own mucus is really going to help me get a restful night's sleep.

When I hear stuff like that I wonder if (1) they really don't remember what it was like or (2) they actually did stuff like this to us when we were little.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:16 pm 

Oh, feel better Lydia! Teeny ones with those respiratory things are so scary!

LB, that's awesome about Grey. I like that Freya is good about playing on her own sometimes. It's still really short, but it's nice to be able to go upstairs and pee/throw clothes in the dryer/put the groceries on the counter/dry my hair) without hauling a baby along or having her freak out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sooo, I just weighed and measured my now 4 year old boy... The kid needs to stop growing! LOL
He is now 38lbs (70%) and 43.5in (95%) tall.

Oh and Elijah is 10lbs9oz (80%) and 22in tall (85%) at 1 month old now. He's my chubby bubby. Sam is tall/thin so this is all new to me. Nothing fits him the same lol

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm 99% sure Will now says "mama" with purpose!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kdub wrote:
I'm 99% sure Will now says "mama" with purpose!

That is so cute. Carlos says mamamama as part of his babbling now and sometimes a lone "mama" slips out. I know he isn't saying it with purpose yet, but I get so excited when I hear him say it. The mamamamas are my favorite babbles of all. The dadadadas are pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My littlest is five months old tomorrow, and we just discovered that our car seat will need to be replaced ASAP. Apparently it only works for babies up to 22 pounds, and Zephyr is 20. So we need to get a 3-in-1 that works as a rear-facing seat for a chubby guy for at least 7 months, ('til he's a year), and then he'll be able to use it as a toddler seat. Whoa! Such a big guy! It's super weird too, because our four year old is about 37 pounds, so Z is over half his weight already!

Iz is going to be enrolled in kindergarten in January. That's only a month away. I can't believe he'll be going to school next year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Walter turned 2 last weekend. Here he is with cake and eye-tree (ice cream).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Happy Birthday Walter and Mitten! Congratulations! And OMG TWO! And eye tree is adorable.

YAY for the Mittens!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

Happy birthday Walter!

Bodhi, my guys are the opposite-- E was gigantic and M is normalish. It is so funny how different they are in terms of shape! (And personality, and everything else.)

Kdub, awww. Go Will go! M's been doing a pretty purposeful and directed "dada" over the past few days. "Mama" only comes out when he's upset so I'm not sure it really has anything to do with me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

happy bday walter!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:00 pm 

Yay! Happy birthday Walter! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Happy birthday, Walter! Looks like he had a great time celebrating!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

happy birthday, walter! how is it possible that he's two?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 102  Next