| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1871  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ohh also, some people are dicks to bikers, I used to get stuff thrown at me from cars when I was biking a lot.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
Everyone here seems to be really big on working out, and swimming in particular. I'm jealous. I NEVER have the motivation.

Join a triathlon team and pay someone lots of money to tell you what to do. Seriously, all my motivation is external. I don't do it for myself, I do it because Coach T makes me! :P

Seriously seriously, though. I have never had much motivation to work out for the sake of working out. I have to have a very specific goal to work towards and a monetary commitment to a race helps a lot. I just keep paying entry fees so I always have something that I'm obligated to. It's what works for me.

My hometown (not Boston) hosts a triathlon and all the locals HATE the visiting athletes for some reason. A couple of years ago someone threw a jar of mayonnaise at a biker out of a moving car.

I work out when it's something fun. So if my friends (as if I actually have enough to fill a team) were playing pick-up basketball, I'd totally be down.

Ha. You're not from Lake Stevens, WA by any chance, are you? Lots of communities seem to hate us. I flatted out of a race this summer because someone threw wood tacks all over the shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

strawberryrock wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
I guess I could do fun stuff on my own. But I'm such a loner to begin with I really need someone to drag me out of my apartment, and, more importantly, my head.

You don't have to do stuff alone just because you don't have a girlfriend. I'm sure you can find ways to make friends. (The internet!)

That's true.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Ha. You're not from Lake Stevens, WA by any chance, are you? Lots of communities seem to hate us. I flatted out of a race this summer because someone threw wood tacks all over the shoulder.

Nah, Lake Placid, NY. And that sucks! I hope you were OK.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm 

booberthefraggle wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

What is it that you're working on?

I guess I could do fun stuff on my own. But I'm such a loner to begin with I really need someone to drag me out of my apartment, and, more importantly, my head.

ETA: The face you're making in that photo is awesome.

working on some embroidery stuff, I'm doing art right now that relies heavily on the backs of embroidery. unfortunately it is REALLY tedious. #artproblems.

you can also do fun stuff with friends! Just trying to drive the point home that happiness isn't dependent on a significant other :) not trying to say it isn't nice to date people.

thank you! that face is the embodiment of my feelings towards the work I'm doing.

Do you want to be my gf, boober?

Don't turn me down! I'm in a fragile place right now. :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
Dead by dawn

JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Dear People of Lake Placid, triathletes bring lots and lots of money into your local economy. You host an Ironman, for goodness sake... do you know how much those people eat?! Sincerely, monkeytoes, future Ironman

I was fine, my rear tire wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Dear People of Lake Placid, triathletes bring lots and lots of money into your local economy. You host an Ironman, for goodness sake... do you know how much those people eat?! Sincerely, monkeytoes, future Ironman

I think it's a class thing to be honest. A lot of the people in Lake Placid and the surrounding area are very, very blue collar. And then they see all these rich yuppies (not that you're one) coming into town and they're like, grrrrrrr..... On the other hand, you're right that Ironman brings in a shiitake load of money into the local economy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

What is it that you're working on?

ETA: The face you're making in that photo is awesome.

working on some embroidery stuff, I'm doing art right now that relies heavily on the backs of embroidery. unfortunately it is REALLY tedious. #artproblems.

you can also do fun stuff with friends! Just trying to drive the point home that happiness isn't dependent on a significant other :) not trying to say it isn't nice to date people.

thank you! that face is the embodiment of my feelings towards the work I'm doing.

Do you want to be my gf, boober?

Don't turn me down! I'm in a fragile place right now. :P

you'll have to queue up!
there are obvs dozens of dudes and ladies knocking down my door.

prerequisites include:
-ability to catch and release any and all bugs in my apartment at 3am.
-not hating me for putting ice cold feet on you / not being offended when I use you for warmth.
-only wanting to hang out 2-3 times a week.

fill out standard application, please return with a 2-page single-spaced cover letter, 12pt font, times new roman, 1 inch margins, due friday by noon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm 

booberthefraggle wrote:
you'll have to queue up!
there are obvs dozens of dudes and ladies knocking down my door.

prerequisites include:
-ability to catch and release any and all bugs in my apartment at 3am.
-not hating me for putting ice cold feet on you / not being offended when I use you for warmth.
-only wanting to hang out 2-3 times a week.

fill out standard application, please return with a 2-page single-spaced cover letter, 12pt font, times new roman, 1 inch margins, due friday by noon.

Pssssh. You make it too hard! I'll find another vegan girlfriend.

Edited: because I forked up the quote box

Last edited by JonnyWoop on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My poor dad is crushed.

My TV started making awful crackling sounds, so I called him down to help me trouble shoot (ie crawl around on the floor playing with plugs since I can't). He was super excited; I think he may have run down the stairs, which given his own mobility issues is saying something.

Alas, it was but a crapped out HDMI cable on my AppleTV. That's what I get for buying a cheap asparagus cable.

He has been looking for a reason to upgrade his aging but perfectly serviceable 6yr old 47" tv for a while now. My mom isn't really on board with this plan. But, if *I* needed a new tv, he could buy one instead of me and sell me his old one super cheap. (mine is similar to his, only a couple years newer)

In another life, I'm a fully functioning daughter without medical bills, student loans and a full time job and buy him a lovely new 60" lcd for Christmas. In this life, I wonder if I should worry about TV sabotage now that the seed has been planted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm 
Dead by dawn

JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:

I think it's a class thing to be honest. A lot of the people in Lake Placid and the surrounding area are very, very blue collar. And then they see all these rich yuppies (not that you're one) coming into town and they're like, grrrrrrr..... On the other hand, you're right that Ironman brings in a shiitake load of money into the local economy.

Honestly, I think that's a problem in a lot of communities that host long course races. If you're going to stage a 56- or 112-mile bike ride, it helps to be in a semi-rural area so you're not tying up a ton of intersections. So they end up in some fairly blue collar areas or, on the other end of the spectrum, schmancy resort-y areas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
In another life, I'm a fully functioning daughter without medical bills, student loans and a full time job

Do full time jobs even exist anymore? When I was searching everywhere only offered part-time. It's the newest way corporations have decided to screw us over. Hire peeps part time so you don't have to provide benefits.

Last edited by JonnyWoop on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Times New Roman is the deal breaker here. I'll toss all the Daddy Long Legs anybody wants out the door, but only for Minion. Garamond if cockroach removal isn't required.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Honestly, I think that's a problem in a lot of communities that host long course races. If you're going to stage a 56- or 112-mile bike ride, it helps to be in a semi-rural area so you're not tying up a ton of intersections. So they end up in some fairly blue collar areas or, on the other end of the spectrum, schmancy resort-y areas.

Lake Placid is pretty schmancy for a local elite who live there part time. But somebody has to plow their driveways, bag their groceries, serve their food, and make their hotel room beds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Times New Roman is the deal breaker here. I'll toss all the Daddy Long Legs anybody wants out the door, but only for Minion. Garamond if cockroach removal isn't required.

I'd settle for Tahoma if centipedes can be removed from the premises

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

JonnyWoop wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
In another life, I'm a fully functioning daughter without medical bills, student loans and a full time job/quote]

Do full time jobs even exist anymore? When I was searching everywhere only offered part-time. It's the newest way corporations have decided to screw us over. Hire peeps part time so you don't have to provide benefits.

I am a high school teacher, so I am actually incredibly fortunate that I am able to have a part-time job since a full-time job would be excruciatingly difficult right now. I get full benefits since I am at least a .5 employee. Of course, I am exploited a little since I actually teach 2/3 of the class load of a full time teacher and have to mandatory things sometimes on my non-working days at no pay (this is covered in the contract as "other duties as required")

But, mostly, I'm very grateful I have a parttime job in my actual degrees field. This also means I get to mostly be ok financially since it pays light years better than any other parttime job I'd be likely to get.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

booberthefraggle wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Centipede removal would require you to make exclusive use of comic sans for a period of no less than 3 months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
ut, mostly, I'm very grateful I have a parttime job in my actual degrees field.

I hear you. I'm so glad I got that college degree to working in a forking grocery store.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Centipede removal would require you to make exclusive use of comic sans for a period of no less than 3 months.

done.

would you do cockroach removal if I agreed to Curlz MT bold?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Now that's just cruel!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

booberthefraggle wrote:

done.

would you do cockroach removal if I agreed to Curlz MT bold?[/quote]

Holy crepe, you called my bluff. Now I need to go cleanse my font palate with a lovely dose of House Industries Chalet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Lake Placid is pretty schmancy for a local elite who live there part time. But somebody has to plow their driveways, bag their groceries, serve their food, and make their hotel room beds.

Gotcha. I can see where the resentment comes in. There's gotta be a better way to express it than assaulting cyclists... I mentioned Lake Stevens because we ride that course every summer and someone always gets run off the road, chased by a dog, something thrown at them, etc... not super looking forward to doing that race this year!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
JonnyWoop wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

There's gotta be a better way to express it than assaulting cyclists...

Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm 

booberthefraggle wrote:
done.

But Boober I thought you were going to date me! waaah :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JonnyWoop wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
done.

But Boober I thought you were going to date me! waaah :(

sigh, fine, grab a bus, see you in 2.5 hrs.
brig chocolate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1871  Next