| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
Birds are definitely unique. But they have such an amazing, enormous capacity for affection. One of the big things with birds though is that they are empathetic rather than sympathetic. Molly isn't going to come give me snuggles when I feel sad--she will just worry and fret and feel sad herself (to some degree). But if I give her snuggles that are just snuggly and affectionate, she will give them back to me threefold. You have to be really careful what emotions you project around them.

You also have to respect their attempts to integrate you into their flock, like always answering contact calls and following their rules. They have lots of rules. Molly gives me exactly 2 minutes to kiss her goodbye in the morning once I come upstairs. I get bitched at if I am late. How these develop is a mystery, but all 3 of our birds have these complex systems of rules with specific punishments meted out for failure to adhere.

People also think you are nuts because nobody believes half of this stuff unless they are also bossed around by a bird.

I totally get *why* people have them. Bird people are bird people, through and through. I've been involved in rat rescue for years and people don't get that, yes, I get emotionally attached to my rats, they have personalities, they are hilarious to play with and watch and everything else. They totally have a whole other set of considerations from every other pet.

I do think birds are totally amazing. My grandmother has one, a lovebird that they found as a stray. He has bonded to my grandmother very strongly and my grandparents do love him. He screams at me and pulls at my ears. I do not love him. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

sometimes i don't feel vegan enough because i don't own a bicycle...personal inner demon...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ugh. A friend of mine on FB just posted that her seven month old bichon puppy is having all sorts of problems with joints and tendons and is going to need surgery. I'm happy that they're not talking about putting him down, but are getting him vet care. But what gets me is that she says that after "months or even years" of research she never realized the importance of pure breeding, and that she always thought that puppy farms just got slack because of poor conditions and didn't realize overbreeding was a problem.

Good god. I don't even know where to start, with the idea that pure breeding is really the solution, or that "just" keeping animals in abominable conditions (which she obviously knew) isn't a good enough reason to not buy a puppy mill dog.

I'm glad she seems to be looking into the best care for him (despite friends of hers basically saying they'd put down a dog if it cost too much to fix the problem), and I know she feels awful about it, so I just said I was sorry to hear about the situation. But man, that whole post and the comments are making me so sad and angry.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I never really understand why someone thinks they can figure out how to get a healthy dog. It's like wanting to birth a healthy kid. You hope and you make a lot of choices that lean you in that direction, but you can't make it so. No matter if you purebreed, adopt, puppmill it, pick up on the side of the road...you just don't get to choose the box for never has any health problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

When other people treat you like their vegan pet peeve.

That's my pet peeve.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
When I worked with the exotic vet we still use, he and another vet would routinely stay late and take care of small animals that parents brought in but would refuse to pay for. They also sometimes paid for meds or supplies out of their own pockets. They knew the parents wouldn't spend anything for "just" a hamster, parakeet, guinea pig, etc. The people thought that a "cheap" animal should have a $10 vet bill or something, or, mostly, they took the animal in for show to shut their kid up but didn't really care.

But, you know, I mostly just feel sorry for these people. What a sad, miserable existence to have such a puny, hard heart. My pets have always made my heart grow bigger; they miss out on that.

Yes, this makes me so mad. People at work made fun of me for paying $300 to have a tumor removed from my hamster. The tumor was necrotic, so it was either surgery or death. They called me a sucker for spending "so much on a rodent" (also, for a vet $300 is small potatoes).

I could not tell you how much money we've spent on guinea pig vet visits over the years. (And I say this as one of the cheapest people I've ever met!) $300 sounds reasonable to me when the life of a creature you seriously love is on the line. I can understand not having the money, but having the money and deciding you don't want to spend it on your pet? That I don't get.

Also, that bible group makes me want to stab myself in the eye. I'm sure it came from a place of love and blah blah blah but really? Let's pray for the bird to die?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
linanil wrote:
Tofulish, I see your problem. You need to marry me.
Me too! Let's all marry Tofulish.
I already did; it's pretty awesome. Highly recommended!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

People in my office who decide not to tell me about the potluck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Person in the office who ate the piece of vegan birthday cake that was put aside for me because I was sick the day a volunteer brought in a cake made vegan specifically because it's my birthday month...

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

j-dub wrote:
Person in the office who ate the piece of vegan birthday cake that was put aside for me because I was sick the day a volunteer brought in a cake made vegan specifically because it's my birthday month...

what the fizzle, that is the worst!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

trolls on the FB page of a vegan-run animal sanctuary.
NEVER read the comments!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Non-vegans who eat some of the limited vegan option of goodies leaving less for me (and any other vegans who are there, though that usually doesn't happen). Why?! I usually just don't say anything about it because I can't do it without sounding snarky. Ugh go away.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Jigglypuff wrote:
Non-vegans who eat some of the limited vegan option of goodies leaving less for me (and any other vegans who are there, though that usually doesn't happen). Why?! I usually just don't say anything about it because I can't do it without sounding snarky. Ugh go away.

And who then take vegan deliciousness and sprinkle cheese and crumble bacon on it before eating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jigglypuff wrote:

I always feel torn about stuff like this. Yes, eat my tasty vegan food that I brought so I'd have something to eat (really, because I like for people to know vegan food tastes good). But wait, that's too much! GET OUTTA HERE. /my life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am 
Nailed to the V

Starbucks training up new workers who can't be arsed to use soya milk and give me regular milk instead. Yes I can taste the difference and you're lucky I could because that stuff makes me ridiculously ill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

vixki wrote:
Starbucks training up new workers who can't be arsed to use soya milk and give me regular milk instead. Yes I can taste the difference and you're lucky I could because that stuff makes me ridiculously ill.

I often double-check if it is soy when picking up my drink. Sometimes I get the 'crazy stare'....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Jigglypuff wrote:

I had a houseguest once who insisted on eating all my Tia chips. I bought regular doritos for him and my partner, but he liked the Tias better (well, they ARE better)

But I asked nicely, said that they were the only chips I could eat and he just kept chowing down on them, said he would buy me more. Yeah right...I would have to DRIVE you to the special store where I bought them. Thanks a lot dude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

Office holiday parties. Or really, any office special event... We had a run of years going bowling for our holiday party, which would have been fine except that the manager insisted on ordering pizza from a place with dairy in the crust and beef stock in the sauce. Never mind the abundance of pizza places who can at least accommodate a vegan with a cheeseless pizza. So I drank and ate french fries. Last year we went to an Asian fusion place for a nice dinner and it was great. They had a separate veg*n menu and I got first pick of the appetizers that we'd order as a group so there were plenty of choices for me. Wooohoo! I think we've turned a corner, and this year there's another vegan in the office so, of course we'll go back there, right? Everyone loved it. Nope. We're going to a steakhouse. Our receptionist emailed the manager and said "Monkeytoes and [other girl] are vegan. If we go to the Met there won't be any food they can enjoy. Should we pick somewhere else?" His response: "So what." None of us knows if he was kidding or not, but screw it. Even if he changes his mind to go somewhere else, I am skipping it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

monkeytoes wrote:
Office holiday parties. Or really, any office special event... We had a run of years going bowling for our holiday party, which would have been fine except that the manager insisted on ordering pizza from a place with dairy in the crust and beef stock in the sauce. Never mind the abundance of pizza places who can at least accommodate a vegan with a cheeseless pizza. So I drank and ate french fries. Last year we went to an Asian fusion place for a nice dinner and it was great. They had a separate veg*n menu and I got first pick of the appetizers that we'd order as a group so there were plenty of choices for me. Wooohoo! I think we've turned a corner, and this year there's another vegan in the office so, of course we'll go back there, right? Everyone loved it. Nope. We're going to a steakhouse. Our receptionist emailed the manager and said "Monkeytoes and [other girl] are vegan. If we go to the Met there won't be any food they can enjoy. Should we pick somewhere else?" His response: "So what." None of us knows if he was kidding or not, but screw it. Even if he changes his mind to go somewhere else, I am skipping it.

What a douche. You would think that he would try to accomodate all employees for a company party.

I too hate work christmas parties. The only time I go is if there is an open bar. I can eat ahead of time and just drink.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

Chicki wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

What a douche. You would think that he would try to accomodate all employees for a company party.

I too hate work christmas parties. The only time I go is if there is an open bar. I can eat ahead of time and just drink.

The other vegan gal and I are going to skip it. The receptionist, who doesn't eat red meat, has to go because the manager will "need" her there. But then the three of us are going to go out on our own a couple of nights later and drink many margaritas. I'm not "celebrating" with a dbag whose answer is "So what."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Bulk bins, everyone writes about bulk bins, I want bulk bins dammit. Everything is so forking expensive, and most has to come by post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Cgvegan wrote:
Bulk bins, everyone writes about bulk bins, I want bulk bins dammit. Everything is so forking expensive, and most has to come by post.
The only place near me with bulk bins is about the most expensive shop in the world, and it's basically just nuts and muesli. While I'd love to support the workers' co-op shop, it costs less than half the amount of money in Tesco.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:14 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

monkeytoes wrote:
Chicki wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

The other vegan gal and I are going to skip it. The receptionist, who doesn't eat red meat, has to go because the manager will "need" her there. But then the three of us are going to go out on our own a couple of nights later and drink many margaritas. I'm not "celebrating" with a dbag whose answer is "So what."

My work's party is at a steakhouse this year too. The dumb thing is that there are only about seven of us full-timers in the company, and that includes two vegetarians, one almost-vegetarian, and one vegan (me). But the owner is planning it and she has no interest in even knowing anything about any of us. I will drink and hope for a baked potato.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

monkeytoes wrote:

What a jerkwad! I'm skipping my work's holiday party because it's my friend's birthday, but when I said I couldn't go the secretary pulled me aside and made sure I knew they were going to have something available for me and the other vegan.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am 
Grandfathered In

I'm boycotting my office christmas party in solidarity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 512  Next