| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Take your b12
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Maybe it is just the way you worded it, to me it seemed like you were saying that Mars was "jumping on the higher-than-normal bandwagon" which I didn't see Mars doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

kimba wrote:
Maybe it is just the way you worded it, to me it seemed like you were saying that Mars was "jumping on the higher-than-normal bandwagon" which I didn't see Mars doing.

Higher than adequate I guess might be a better term for it. To reiterate, there is not a large enough amount of high quality data to recommend any particular level of vitamin D over 30 ng/mL. As far as we know so far, 30 is just as good as 35 or 40. Maybe this will all change as more evidence becomes available, but that is where the evidence sits right now.

I don't think anyone is talking about levels greater than 100 ng/mL, which is the level where signs of overt toxicity can be seen. A lot of people might be aiming for levels in the 50-80 ng/mL range, though, and while many sources still consider this in the "normal range," there are potential risks that are not yet well understood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

beanitarian, just curious, how come you've done so much vitamin d research?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

ijustdiedinside wrote:
beanitarian, just curious, how come you've done so much vitamin d research?

I think I explained up thread that my primary care PA recommended I begin taking 2000 IU vitamin D daily without even checking my levels. I insisted that we get the test, and when my levels came back normal I looked into whether there was any reason to add that relatively high dose supplement on top of my multivitamin and fortified milk. Every medication has risks and benefits, and vitamins should be looked at this way too.

She was suggesting the vitamin D initial for psoriasis, but unfortunately the data is almost nonexistent. There is a little more data about mood, but still not enough. The telling thing is that I have not been able to find a single medical professional organization that has increased their recommendation for vitamin D to 2000 IU daily for people with normal levels (greater than 30 ng/mL).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I was looking for B12 on Amazon and came across this book http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epid ... ords=b12#_ Search inside it and you will be frightened enough to remember your B12! Can anyone recommend a gluten free cyanobalamin one? I had been taking a DEVA supplement but it's the other form of B12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've been using twinlab. it says it's wheatfree, but it doesn't mention gluten. (but then it IS an old bottle from before gluten insensitivities started popping up all over the place.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I take this one:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/b-12.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

kittylover wrote:
I was looking for B12 on Amazon and came across this book http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epid ... ords=b12#_ Search inside it and you will be frightened enough to remember your B12! Can anyone recommend a gluten free cyanobalamin one? I had been taking a DEVA supplement but it's the other form of B12

shiitake!!! Read that everybody... and take your B12!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

kittylover wrote:

Isn't methylcobalamin the one they always recommend that people take though? I know I made a point to find a supplement with that one rather than cyanobalamin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Virginia Messina, RD, writes:

"The other important issue is that methylcobalamin appears to be less stable than cyanocobalamin, so it may not be as reliable a source of the vitamin. If you choose to use it, you may need much, much more than the 25 micrograms of cyanocobalamin that I recommend. Some are advocating use of methylcobalamin without pointing out this important difference in dosage requirements."

http://www.theveganrd.com/2012/02/cyani ... edule.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Most methyl supplements are around 1000mcg at least though. Although I guess if someone was taking a multi with only a small amount it could be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Forgot to add, smokers should take another form of B12, not cyanocobalamin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:55 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

because they're already full of cyanide?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, it's not that the additional tiny amount of cyanide from cyanocobalamin would harm them, they just can't use it well.

Everybody above the age of 50 should take vitamin B12 supplement, regardless of their diet (because of reduced absorption from food). My parents are smokers, but methylcobalamin supplements are too expensive here, so they take cyanocobalamin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

this is your new year reminder to take your b12!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am 

shiitake, I needed that! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am 

I now have B12 at work. In my snack drawer of the filing cabinet. They call it my vegan cabinet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:47 am 
***LIES!!!***

Jack Norris being more thorough on the cyano vs methyl conversation: http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=3383

He recommends cyano unless you fit into a particular subset that shouldn't take it (like *maybe* smokers).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

vijita wrote:
I now have B12 at work. In my snack drawer of the filing cabinet. They call it my vegan cabinet.

I have it right besides my monitor. works!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I actually remembered to take mine today but read the bottle for the first time and noticed I'm supposed to be taking 4x the amount I'm actually taking. Oops? Who remembers to take something four times a day, though? Not this guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian's dad got nerve damage from B12 deficiency, he had to get the shots in the asparagus but the damage is done. He says it's like his feet are asleep all of the time, so he gets really uncomfortable standing or walking for too long. He's a lifelong meat eater (and a smoker), so IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

I have the Deva one which I believe is methyl.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 am 

I have the deva one too, but lately all vitamins are hurting my stomach, so I've been lax about them again. Fork, I need to shape up! I took my multi on an empty stomach the other day and it made me puke. I guess it's "see a doctor" time. The brutal thing is trying to take them gradually throughout the day, because I'm supplementing pretty heavily these days due to anemia and other crepe, but I am the most forgetful person in the world when it comes to vitamins. I love when someone bumps this thread because I immediately pop a B12 and whatever else I've been putting off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, I got off of taking vitamins every day because they started making me nauseous. I probably shouldn't try to take all of them in one go, for one. And I also discovered that vitamins + tea and an empty or nearly empty stomach don't mix. Luckily, B12 doesn't make me sick.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've been taking this brand for a few years. I keep it on the counter in the kitchen and just pop one on my breakfast plate when making breakfast, so I always remember to take it. (Usually 2-3 times a week.) It's Cyanocobalamin, which I had read from both Ginny Messina and Jack Norris is the most reliable form, but now I see in the link that Ariann provided that it might not be the best form if you've got kidney problems. Once I've finished the bottle I just ordered, I'll look into switching to a methylcobalamin, but I don't like the idea that it's not as stable or well-regulated. :(

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Just took mine! Thanks for the bump.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next