| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If you could live anywhere in the US ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 am 
WRETCHED

I know you live in Maine so it may be less of a big deal but for me, I can't imagine moving to a more northerly place than I live. Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, etc are all too cold for me. And Florida/most of the south is way too hot. Asheville is nice because it is in the mountains which offers a bit of coolness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Mars wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
The south holds some appeal, but it's probably a romantic notion based on nothing. Like, I want to drink cold, sweet, tea on a porch. But that's pretty much it.

Yes, this romanticized version of the south holds much appeal to me. So happy I'm finally living in a home with a porch!

I live in an awesome part of the south! I do really love Asheville. I've not seen enough of these awesome western places to make a truly informed decision, but my list:

Asheville, Key West, Harpers Ferry, WV (would probably get old fast but OMG so cute!), a SC lowcountry private island so that noone I didn't like would be able to talk to me (think about it, the porch and sweet tea, salt water, Spanish moss on live oaks, palmettos!), maybe western Massachusetts (I stopped at a gas station/convenience store that had a bulk foods section with nooch, and vegan tofutti things, and this was back in like 2004), and if I was to live in northeast Ohio (where I'm from), maybe Peninsula, because its a cute little town.

I wish I'd have been out further west since adulthood but I've not been, but there are probably places in Montana or Colorado or PNW I would love, probably more like not huge college towns though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 am 
WRETCHED

I like Harper's Ferry too. Its a cute place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think you should consider things that are important to you, I really, really miss seasons and snow. Besides that I live where I live. 25 minutes to SF, 25 minutes to Oakland. I live in a town of 12,000, great food options, super bike friendly and family friendly. I can drink beer in the park. I am close to mountains (I can see one outside my living room window), I live on a hiking trail, I am close to the ocean and amazing farm land. It is very expensive and white, it is a total bubble without much diversity. We keep looking at other places we would potentially like to move to, here is my list:

Bend, OR
Portland
Seattle
Ashland
Sebastopol/Graton/Tomales Bay
Santa Cruz
Denver
And the surrounding small towns of those areas

I would love to move back to Michigan, but that is family and cost related. I hate that my husband makes a good salary and yet we feel strapped for cash often because the cost of living is high and we tend to have an expensive lifestyle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

CoffeeCoffin wrote:
I'm absolutely obsessed with where I hail from: Juneau, Alaska. (Anchorage and Fairbanks are G-H-E-T-T-O) Beaches, Mountains, Cabins in coves to rent and backpack too, 30,000 people. It is landlocked so it's kind of hard to go in and out of unless you are going to the surrounding villages via the Ferry System. But its gorgeous and wonderful.

Have you changed names a few times? I keep seeing posts from someone who sounds like you (Ak to the south) but they have had different names!

Last edited by lycophyte on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

vegetable_assassin wrote:
I'm from Georgia and I used to want to move back, but since the olympics were in atlanta its too overgrown in basically the entire area of north georgia, so perhaps I want to move to Tennessee instead, somewhere in Appalachia that is rural, instead of where I used to live which was rural and now suburb type area. And the upper peninsula of michigan would be nice.

whispers "Asheville..."

Also, yeah! I forgot about New Paltz, that place was awesome and I wanted to check it out more!
Athens, Ga was really awesome too!

eta- I'd consider the Upper Peninsula too, but I'm only half Yooper, the other half is Croatian so I might could die of winter dreariness. And I've been living in the south, and said "might could" just there so its probably TOO LATE for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:56 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I'm going to be obvious and say San Fran Frisco or Portland. Maybe Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chicago is an awesome place for artists. There are tons of young people, it is liberal, lots of other artists, tons of great things to do, great food and it is very inexpensive for a really cool city.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have to say, you cannot beat the weather in Southern California. That's why I live here. Beautiful beaches, mountians, desert, great hiking etc. People can be kind of douchey though (no offence to the other californians, but you know what I mean). I live in Orange County, but I love San Diego more. LA is cool. It's only an hour away, and I go there probably 2-3x a month for my partner's music gigs and stuff. Cost of living is high, but so are salaries for the most part, at least in my line of work.

I spent a large portion of my childhood in the Southern California Desert (palm springs and joshua tree). Really, there is something about living in the desert that is just amazing. It is so beautiful. The heat not that bad. It's like living somewhere with extreme cold in the winter. You deal with it the same way. I do plan on retiring in the desert for sure.

Other places I bet I could see myself living: Colorado, Seattle, Portland, northern & coastal parts of California. I have traveled the US extensivly, and I can tell I am a true west coast kinda gal.

I hated living in Utah (except for how beautiful it was). Also hated living in Kentucky. Both were just too conservative for me. I loved living in Spain, but that is not applicable in this thread.

I love NYC. Really I do. But I don't think I would want to live there. It's too noisy. If I did, I would live in Brooklyn, its my fav.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm 
WRETCHED

Growing up in San Diego, I actually think Denver has better weather. That may be a bias though :) Sure you'll get some cold days but I prefer their cold and heat over the "Oh my god it is 90 degrees and I'm dying" August weather of San Diego.

And DC/Maryland has craptacular weather but I still love it. Fall and Spring are nice but the "we won't be cold enough to snow, we'll just give you freezing rain which will turn into ice over night" winters and the "100 degrees AND humidity summer days? Sure why not" summers make the weather craptacular for a couple months out of the year.

Last edited by linanil on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love Boston!! I'm cold today and grumpy about it.

I think Asheville, NC or Shepherdstown, WV would be Booberlicious. I can't comment on the middle and west coast that much, because I haven't been there. I think Chicago would be a neat place to live, and I want to live in Southern California because I'm cold.

Sherpherdstown is in the Harper's Ferry area, about 2hrs from Baltimore and an hour from DC. It's rural but with a fun local arts scene.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

atlanta, austin or miami
i wasn't meant to leave the south.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Portland for sure! But Oregon in general, on the coast or in the mountains. I'm sure Seattle, Boulder and SF would be awesome too, but I've not visited those places yet.

I can't stand humidity or high heat so the south is pretty much out for me. The middle of the country is just not even a little bit attractive to me. I'm already in the north east and I'm over it. Southern Cali could be cool. And NYC would be amazing but without a ton of money it would grow old quickly. I need a certain amount of space and modern amenities that I wouldn't be able to afford in NYC. Plus I would blow all of my money on plays, musicals, and vegan ice cream sundaes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh, I forgot I wanted to say Austin, too! I think Austin really seems like the coolest. Better weather and good eats!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've always liked the idea of San Diego, haven't made it there yet though. I like Portland enough, and I've never lived out of my part of Oregon (Eugene area). Then again I'm a hermit at heart and don't get out much anyway. I even went to college here because I didn't know where else to go.

Loved it when I visited a friend in Kaua'i, Hawai'i, I'd love it there were I not stuck on an island. Way expensive, also.

For some reason I like the type of desert area around Las Vegas, but I'd hate to live there (because of the city, not the climate), Maybe parts of New Mexico or Arizona.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Did someone say Australia? I think you should do that.