| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tea (or any beverage) Room
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've always been about the black tea (with soy milk and agave or sugar), and used to drink PG Tips until I found out about their horrible animal testing. They stopped their testing as a way to prevent a massive PR disaster when PETA was on the verge of a major exposure campaign, but it kind of tainted the brand for me. I always like Tetley too, so when I get the chance I buy that. (It's only available at specialty stores here.)

Lately, though, I've been trying to cut down/out my black tea consumption because it's pretty high in oxalic acid and I've got kidney issues. I had read that wu long (oolong) has the lowest oxalic acid content of any real (ie. non-herbal/rooibos) tea, so I'm starting to experiment with that.

On a recent trip to Palais des Thés in Brussels, I picked up a bag of Wu Long 7 Agrumes, and I'm completely hooked! It has this amazing... buttery (for lack of a better word) quality, and I don't even add milk or sweetener. It's great on its own. And apparently wu long is the only tea that is supposed to improve with resteeping (something that would have seemed sacrilegious to me previously) so I've been reusing the same leaves for four or five days and it stays amazing. I'm getting ready to order a bunch of other wu long varieties and experiment.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

indexandicon wrote:
I've recently become hopelessly addicted to a Ginger and Tumeric herbal blend from Rishi.

This stuff is so good it's crazy.

I think I have a problem. I reorganized my kitchen over the weekend, and when I cleaned out my tea cupboard, I had 46 different types of tea. Tea is pretty much my beverage of choice and most of what I have is decaf and/or herbal, but it's still ridiculous. The sad part is I know when I go to the store I'll end up finding something new that sounds good and buying it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just went to my tea cabinet and counted. 20 kinds. My name is Moon, and I am a teaholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I found a rooibos chai spice blend last week that I am in love with. Caffeine-free almond milk chai lattes? Oh yeah!

(Apologies to chai purists, I know it's not "real" tea but black tea does bad things to me, so this was an awesome, happy find).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Check out the crazy cute tea infuser my boyfriend just got me:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lepelaar wrote:

How adorable!!!!

I have way too many different kinds of tea....I'm obsessed with buying tea at David's Tea (http://www.davidstea.com) - everything I buy there tastes so amazing, so I'm constantly buying new loose leaf teas! Right now I'm drinking a pineapple oolong tea from there. My fave is one that is apple/almond/cinnamon and it has a hint of beetroot in it that turns the tea pink....it is delicious and it smells amazing, too!

But yeah, I have a whole drawer in the kitchen devoted to coffee and tea. Even though I likely drink more coffee, I have waaay more kinds of tea in that drawer than coffee. I think I have an addiction problem!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome, lepelaar! Rubber ducky, you're the one, you make tea time so much fun!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 pm 

loolie wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

How adorable!!!!

I have way too many different kinds of tea....I'm obsessed with buying tea at David's Tea (http://www.davidstea.com) - everything I buy there tastes so amazing, so I'm constantly buying new loose leaf teas! Right now I'm drinking a pineapple oolong tea from there. My fave is one that is apple/almond/cinnamon and it has a hint of beetroot in it that turns the tea pink....it is delicious and it smells amazing, too!

But yeah, I have a whole drawer in the kitchen devoted to coffee and tea. Even though I likely drink more coffee, I have waaay more kinds of tea in that drawer than coffee. I think I have an addiction problem!

Forever Nuts is soooo good! I also have a David's Tea addiction, I have an entire shelf in my cabinet devoted to tea. But I probably drank about 10 cups of tea today so I definitely drink enough tea to justify it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lepelaar wrote:

Squeeeeeeee! ZOMG I have GOT to get one of those.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lilyyw wrote:
That's awesome, lepelaar! Rubber ducky, you're the one, you make tea time so much fun!

Ha ha! I was actually singing that yesterday.

It's so cute, it makes me love drinking tea even more than I already do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Stash has a limited vanilla-cinnamon that is good! That is in my cup lately!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 am 

Currently drinking Santa's Secret, a Christmas tea from David's Tea last year.... mmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganMeredith wrote:
Forever Nuts is soooo good! I also have a David's Tea addiction, I have an entire shelf in my cabinet devoted to tea. But I probably drank about 10 cups of tea today so I definitely drink enough tea to justify it.

Forever Nuts is one of my favorites! I also like the Organic Snow Bunny that's available around this time of year. I know with some of them, you have to watch because they have dairy products in them (mostly the cake type of flavors) but they clearly mark the allergens on the website - which ones have dairy, etc.

I got one of those sampler packs given to me for Christmas last year so it was nice to have a good sampling of different tea from there!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Moon wrote:
I just went to my tea cabinet and counted. 20 kinds. My name is Moon, and I am a teaholic

If that counts as a teaholic I guess you can count me in. Today alone I have had three different types of teas (trying to cut down on the coffee since its been making me sick). I'm trying to ration out my Market Spice teas as I am almost completely out of the original kind and my Orange Cinnamon Green Tea from them is also starting to follow the same path =(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 pm 

lepelaar wrote:

I saw these at a local store the other day, and I desperately want one! Maybe after Christmas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

gaia13 wrote:
I think I have a problem. I reorganized my kitchen over the weekend, and when I cleaned out my tea cupboard, I had 46 different types of tea. Tea is pretty much my beverage of choice and most of what I have is decaf and/or herbal, but it's still ridiculous. The sad part is I know when I go to the store I'll end up finding something new that sounds good and buying it.

That's not a problem; it's an accomplishment!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Bumping because I love tea! Black is my fave. I'm into English Breakfast, Keemun, stuff like that there, but I also love green tea -- especially Moroccan Mint.

Just placed my first order with arborteas.com -- anyone used them before? I like that they are smallish and have a commitment to organic/fair trade teas. I'll let you guys know how my order turns out.

I've also been enamored of this floating tea infuser by RSVP. So pleasing to use. So shiny. And once again this resolution season, I'm trying to address my love of material things!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My favorite tea is Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer. I think I need some right now! I ordered some dessert teas for my dad for Christmas from The Art of Tea: Santa's Little Helper, Apple Pie and Butterscotch. I of course plan to steal some of each.

This thread has inspired me to try some other flavors, I usually keep it to the same few.

Tazo Green Ginger is what I call my "spa tea". I had a million servings of it at a spa and when I drink it now, it takes me right back there in my head. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I drink about 2-3 cups of tea daily I mostly drink Jasmine green tea that I get from the Asian grocery. It's in a big yellow box and made by Fujian tea import company($4.00 for 100 bags). I drink it in the morning to wake me up with a teaspoon of tumeric paste which is anti-inflamatory and a sprinkle of Swad chai spice with agave syrup and milk (usually almond). If anyone is suffering from aches and pains let me know I will post some info about tumeric and how to make the paste.

Jasmine is wonderful smelling and balancing to green tea. My second favorite Jasmine/green tea is Dynasty which can found in asian grocers as well as on Amazon.com. I also like Ito en Japanese green tea. It's a loose tea and supposedly the variety I purchased is the same variety used in tofu misosuke (search the board).

I also have Tradition brand lavender green tea which is nice for early evening for relaxing. It also comes from the Asian grocer. Sometimes I like to mix a fruit tea with it in the summer and have it as an iced tea with dinner.

I like the Celestial seasoning fruit teas, there's an orange spice tea that I just ran out of I cannot remember who makes it. I used to get this plum tea from Walmart but they don't carry it anymore. I have Tradition black currant tea I don't care for it but my husband like it.

I am really kind of low on teas right now so I normally have a cabinet full.

I do suggest if you have a large Asian grocer in your aread to go check out the tea aisle you can find some great stuff at a great value.

I like most non fruit teas with a little "milk" and agave syrup.

The swad Chai spice I mentioned is awesome! Only $2-$3.00 for instant chai anytime and in you can pour a little in another container to take with you.

Right now I am looking for a good metal tea pot for brewing loose tea (including strainer). Most I see cost about about $25. I'd like to pay about $12.

Does anyone bring their own tea to restaurants? Most of the time they don't have tea I want and they charge $2.50 per teabag. It annoys some wait staff if I do this and I get why it does but I'd rather tip them better and bring my own tea. Those who say or imply nothing about my tea get the best tip. I'd be ordering water otherwise instead I am ordering hot water.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I just got this email.....

"I had some classes with you in 2011 and in one or two occasion I tryed a delicious tea from China. Can you tell me what is the name of the tea types we had?"

HAHAHAHA
i have about 50 thousand types of tea in my house. there was a great book called "bibliokleptomania" and i want to write my own titled "chabevomaximus" or some other clever portmanteau that expresses how completely impossible it is for me to remember what kind of tea i might have served a guest in 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 am 

I've quit adding milk to my tea (never learned to like any plant milk in tea) and flavoured teas are suddenly fairly tasty! Still not what I want in the morning, but nice for some variation. Right now I have a cold, so I drink as much peppermint tea as I have time for. So good for coughing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 am 

I bought some "cold brew" tea bags the other day, and only realised afterwards that one can do cold brewing with regular tea. I love ice tea (almost wrote lice tea - not vegan) in the summer, so I definitely want to try this. Do any of you do cold brewed tea? Any tips, favourite flavours/add-ins?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:23 am 
WRETCHED

I don't think cold brew tastes as good and actually tastes pretty crappy so I rather hot brew then add ice.

I've been drinking a lot of tea lately. From the Republic of Tea, I'm enjoying some herbals as well as regular tea
Orange Blossom White Tea
Double dark chocolate Mate
Mango Chili Green Roobios (I don't like Red Roobios but I've found that I like Green Roobios)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am 

I often think my iced tea turns out too bitter, so I'm hoping to avoid that with cold brewing. I don't want to add sugar, too afraid for my teeth!

The bags I bought are not that great - lots of artificial lemon flavour (I also got mint, haven't tried that yet). Made a nice shandy-like drink with some lager though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I think I officially crossed a line with my tea buying, guys. I bought savoury teas yesterday. The box says you can drink them as is or use them as a soup base, so I'll probably end up trying both. One thing I found crazy/amazing is that 1 10oz cup of the broccoli/cilantro variety has 90% of your daily calcium. Veggies for the win!

I bought the sampler pack, so I've also got Carrot Curry, Spinach Chive, Tomato Mint, Beet Cabbage, and Fennel Spice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next