| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Breaking Amish
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

As for the adoption thing...I read that it's actually not uncommon, amongst the Amish and Mennonite communities. They tend to be small, and I guess, after awhile the gene pools also get...small. As a result, they have a lot of genetic disorders, so they'll often adopt to broaden the gene pool. Or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, this show is fake as hell. I grew up in Lancaster, PA, and there's no way the families would allow themselves to be filmed. So I'm assuming the people purporting to be mom, grandpa, are either actors or left the community some time ago. Their language is fascinating. My stepmother speaks Pennsylvania Dutch, which as I understand it is mix of English and German. She once asked if my (toddler) daughter was "strange." I was offended - turns out that it means "shy" in Lancaster/Pennsylvania Dutch speak. Also, there are different orders of Mennonite, some more conservative than others. Most female Mennonites in Lancaster, where Sabrina is from, wear plain clothes and bonnets but do drive cars and use electricity. Oh, and the food SUCKS. Spoiler alert for non-vegan content.
Spoiler: show
It's bland and laden with meat, butter and eggs. I grew up thinking potato soup was milk, a bit of water, hard boiled eggs, and boiled potatoes. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

la vie sale wrote:
I felt like I was watching the Real World. There were a few times where I thought they weren't even Amish, that they are just actors. They are indeed catty. I guess regular peeps have more in common with Amish than we think. I do wonder why that one girl has no teeth. Do Amish brush their teeth? Prob a dumb question but who knows. She may have had really bad teeth and never went to the dentist. Poor thing.

totally unrelated to the thread (sorry for the hijack!) buy my half sister had to have her teeth pulled when she was 16, something wasn't growning right/didn't form right in her teeth, though I was just 6 so don't remember all of the reasons, and had nothing to do with hygiene. Though that was also over 30 years ago and may have been quicker/cheaper for the dentist to say "pull 'em all".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Am I the only one who watched this wacky fork circus to the bitter end?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I watched it! I think that Rebeca has no manners...Also is it Abe's kid? I am not sure, I think so, but it seems so weird they cannot talk about it. Kate looked so out of place...

Rebeca & Abe should get their own show!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I did too, like a bad car wreck. I don't understand how Abe's brother could shun him and then go to Atlantic City and get a lap dance?? After watching the whole thing I think Jeremiah actually became my favorite even though I hated him at the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm 
Dead by dawn

I missed some episodes but came back to watch the intereview shows afterwards, where they all lied through their teeth. (Especially Rebecca and Abe!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

"Protecting the baby" my asparagus. Ugh, those two! As if admitting he was the father really could have made them look worse after all of their other lies had already been exposed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 am 

The way they kept on going on about an innocent baby...it was like 'shut up'...Also they got mad at the women asking questions, it was her damn job!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 am 

In order of who came off looking the worst/seeming like the biggest liars from least to most: Kate, Sabrina, Jeremiah, the producers for using three people who had been previously married on the show, and Abe/Rebecca. I don't know why those two even agreed to do the reunion show. The picture of Rebecca in a bikini was taken in Kentucky, so it wasn't from 'sneaking out'.

The other three seemed upset about all of the rumors and shiitake talking, but at least they addressed them instead of telling the interviewer to shut up.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:

The other three seemed upset about all of the rumors and shiitake talking, but at least they addressed them instead of telling the interviewer to shut up.

Or they wanted to punch her...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 pm 

Que? I just meant that they actually addressed the rumors she presented instead of asking her if she understood English.

Here's a recap of the second half of the reunion with comparisons to what they said and what was found out to be true.

http://starcasm.net/archives/183477

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Que? I just meant that they actually addressed the rumors she presented instead of asking her if she understood English.

Abe at one point said something about the host under his breath at one point....I assume he wanted to punch her.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I still haven't second half of the reunion, but have seen all the other episodes, albiet not in order. I think I liked Sabrina the most, she's a cutie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm 

Okay, they're doing a second season with the original cast right now, but it's not online so I can't watch it (I found it on delishows but an ad kept playing on a loop in the background so I gave up), and a...second second season with a new cast. The only reason I am posting about it because on of the amish girls who wants to escape to find her dreams is clearly wearing (the wrong color of) foundation, mascara, and even penciled/sharpied eyebrows.

ETA: Oops, I clearly posted the wrong link. Flavor Flav will not be on Breaking Amish.

http://starcasm.net/archives/225143

It's like TLC was like, "Eh, we're not fooling anyone anyway, leave your makeup on."