| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: L'Oreal Buys Urban Decay :(
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bekki wrote:
I know I'm making a sweeping assumption here, but I wonder if the backtrack was to keep sales up to keep the merger deal going, not to actually keep customers for the sake of keeping customers.

It's possible - but having had the experience of working for a company that was bought out, acquisitions can happen much faster than most people would think and very few people on both sides (UD and L'Oreal) may have even known that it was happening. There is a possibility that UD did make th decision to stay out of China with honest intentions.

Often when this kind of thing happens a lot of people lose their jobs - I hope that's not happening at UD, especially at a time of year when most people like to give gifts and travel to be with their families.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Awww man I didn't know L'oreal owned Pureology, I just bought some when I got my hair done a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't blame anyone if they continued to buy UD as it is their parent company that is testing and not UD themselves, but here's the other thing. I've heard when The Body Shop was acquired, there was a big decline in the quality of the products. So while the edgy, veg-friendly image of UD may come to be diluted by the awfulness of L'oreal, their products might also start to suck.

I appreciate all of the posters that have mentioned companies they like in this thread, it's great to have a list of alternatives to check out!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Someone that lives in a state in the US with the crazy high lottery tonight, please win and buy Urban Decay from L'Oreal

Urban Decay by PPK. sounds good to me!

Honestly though, on the way to work this morning my radio station was talking about what you would do with $500 million dollars. I have to say, this came to mind. I would love to take that money and invest in companies to help them become cruelty free. Hell, maybe it would even be a sound investment. I could end up being the Donald Trump of animal rights. Minus the hair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am 
Ninja Master

I'm annoyed that another cruelty free company has bitten the dust but I'm struggling to think of any UD products that I actually use. Any that I own even, except for a couple of ancient eye shadows.

Having said that I was gonna buy the Naked 2 palette for bridal work - glad I didn't shell that £35 out now!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

If UD does get watered down after being bought will it go the way of Hard Candy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Efcliz wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
L'Oreal makes me confused sometimes anyway. They have that shampoo that's labeled as vegan. And I think some people are like, we should support their efforts, and then other people are like, yeah, but they're evil...

I think they own Pureology and Pureology was very much like, we're still not testing on animals! OPI was similar and reconfirmed with Peta they're not testing, so I use them sometimes.

Some Hourglass foundation is labeled vegan and super nice, but also SUPER spendy. I treated myself to a couple of things because I had a coupon, and I was still like, oh shiitake! This better be NICE. And it was.

This. I actually buy vegan products that are owned by not-vegan companies to show support. My hairdresser got Pureology in especially for me and liked some of it so much he uses it with all of his customers now and some of them are now buying it. And that's better than them buying Redken, which has been tested. For me, it's no different to buying a vegan apple from a shop that sells meat, or eating a vegan meal in an omni restaurant. I totally respect others views to boycott though.

This is what I do. I have a really sensitive scalp and the Pureology line is just about one of the only things that I've found that doesn't irritate the crepe out of it. I agree with Efcliz and don't really see it as being all that different that buying products from stores that also sell meat. I believe that Sheer Glow by NARS is suitable for vegans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I guess I'll post more than a 'sigh' in this thread, because at first glance and in general this is a step backward, but there's at least this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2115572/LOreal-donates-1-2million-help-abolish-animal-testing-welfare-groups-say-company-stop-practice-NOW.html

I'm not saying they're angels, but at least they've made a visible effort to do something that may affect other large cosmetics companies (Estée).

I use Pureology, but I quit using Origins? I use Tarte, CoverFX and Laura Mercier – I have no idea if any of those companies even sells in China right now, and they may very well at my ignorance. So I'm not even sure where I draw the line, or why I do or don't buy what I do. Buying products in everyday stores has become way too confusing, so I plan to just do my best. Hence, the gigantic sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

How many grocery stores don't sell meat? Not a lot. There are very few all-vegan groceries, 99% of vegans don't have any choice but to buy their food from non-vegan stores. Also comparing makeup to food makes no sense, I don't need to beat my face every morning to continue existing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 am 
ugh

mrsbadmouth wrote:
How many grocery stores don't sell meat? Not a lot. There are very few all-vegan groceries, 99% of vegans don't have any choice but to buy their food from non-vegan stores. Also comparing makeup to food makes no sense, I don't need to beat my face every morning to continue existing.

Maybe a more apt comparison would be ordering vegan food from a non-vegan restaurant? (Still a food comparison, but not food for survival.)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 am 

There is not even a vegetarian restaurant where I live, but I guess I need to eat out about as much as I need to wear makeup.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Okay, I may not *need* to wear makeup, but I feel much more confident when I do than when I don't. If you feel comfortable enough in yourself to not feel the need to wear it on a daily basis, then that's great for you, but my self-esteem obviously isn't as high. In the UK, there are far fewer lines available that are completely vegan friendly without being owned by a parent company that tests than there are elsewhere, so sometimes I may use a line that is marketed as vegan, even if their parent company isn't. I don't really feel that I should have to justify my actions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You don't have to justify anything to anybody. If there is any take home message from this and similar threes it's that we all draw our lines in different places.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm 

I wasn't trying to make anyone justify anything, and when I say 'need' makeup, I mean it is not a necessity to live life. I will not die without it. I certainly don't have perfect skin so i'm not saying that I don't 'need' it because I am oh so pretty. I just think the 'it's like buying food from a grocery store that sells meat' argument is weak.

My main issue is that I forgave UD once, i'm not doing it again. I'm sure I can find another $38 foundation, everything else that they make I can easily get elsewhere for cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree MBM, I forgave them once, not again. I don't even think their products are all that anyway and the packaging is fugly.